If all the trees rose up against us, could we defeat them?

Mr. Seven

• Moderators
I reckon we'd win. We've got thousands of years of experience of wiping out trees, the added problem of them being mobile would only set us back a little.

I think people are underestimating the power of a forest. Like with slow-moving Romero zombies, you're fooled into thinking you're safe because of the speed, then suddenly you're surrounded and overwhelmed. There are hundreds of forests containing thousands of trees. Once these armies get towards population centres, if you're not prepared, you're fucked.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Do you think the attack would be more frightening in Spring/Summer time or in Winter? The sillhouette of a tree with no leaves is a horror staple, but in this scenario I think the trees would be more scary if you saw other people disappearing into the foliage. Then again, in Autumn your horse chestnut trees would be equipped with some pretty horrible projectiles. In fact, I hadn't considered the potential ranged assault from fruit-bearing trees until just now.

I imagine squirrels, birds and their nests getting launched into buildings would be one of the first signs of the uprising.

Also can we call it The Arbogeddon? I'd like to call it the Arbogeddon.

• Paid Members

Zombified trees will be very hard to report in a newspaper that will attack the person that reads it.

Chainsaws and Fire are definately not the answer/solution. How many of us have used a chainsaw day in, day out? They aren't that durable and you just can't swing them about, in this respect, they are useless and the trees will have you easily.

Fire isn't even worth discussing.

• Paid Members
This definitely needs further explanation.

How badly does a tree need to be damaged to be considered dead? Cutting one of those badass giant Redwoods into little pieces would be pretty much impossible in a battle situation.

Haven't you seen The Sorcerer's Apprentice?

The biggest problem in the cities would be fires. Sure, they'd go up like fuckers, but so would houses. Awkward one. Our biggest, and easiest to find, weapon would likely involve widespread destruction.

I was originally thinking we'd be okay, based on the facts that triffids needed us blind, and they had weapons. But the sheer number of trees would be tough to overcome.

• Paid Members

NASA estimated back in 2005 that there are around 400 billion trees on the planet, so we're outnumbered by about 65 to 1 before you even factor in things like humans who are not able to fight for whatever reason.

We're fucked, basically.

• Moderators

You say humans that can't fight - but a lot of trees would be shite too. I'm looking at this little sapling out of the window right now and it would pose absolutely no threat whatsoever. It couldn't do any damage.

That said, a further look around, and knowledge of my route home, tells me I definitely wouldn't get out of Dorking alive.

I'll be raiding the Garden Centre/B&Q for a shitload of this

roundup-tree-stump-killer.jpg

For that to work it has to be directly placed on a shrub or in the case of a tree drilll hole into it then placed inside. Let the yanks go crazy with agent orange, you know they're bound to have vats of the stuff hidden.

Archived