FCW Shut Down

BritFan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having a development lead by William Regal, X-Pac and Road Dogg (for promos) is the way to go in my opinion. And Triple H can always pop in and kick them up the arse every few weeks or so.

Add in Fit Finlay to work with the girls like he did previously and you've got a cracking line-up.

Anyway, good riddance to FCW. It's been completely useless as a developmental system because the only people who have been through there, or are going through there currently, who have any talent are those who received the bulk of their 'training' through traditional means. You're not going to get any good being trained by Skinner and working once a week in front of fifty silent bozos.

• Paid Members
WWE developmental is never going to work properly until both the company and the stockholders accept it's going to be a money-losing division that pays off in the long run.

Spot on... it's R&D. You don't hear of Microsoft doing R&D, and expecting that division to turn a profit. They're running a developmental enterprise, and they should treat it totally as such - I don't understand why people have a problem with FCW folks being given stupid names, and having gimmicks switched constantly. They should be trying out all future innovations there, investing a lot more, and writing the whole thing off.

Except that one territory is never going to be enough. The same crowd watching you over and over again for months or years on end is going to get bored of you (unless you're Jerry Lawler). They should get a handful of their old hands, disperse them around the country with a "writer" or or two each along with an undercard guy they like but don't have much for and tell them to run a territory. Pay those guys according to 1. the crowds their shows draw and 2. a bonus whenever someone from their territory gets called up to the big show. There's still the incentive then for the guys running the territories to make a profit, but they know they'll get their basic wage (and so will the guys on the shows) so no-one's going to go crazy if things aren't working too well. Swap the writers around every 6-12 months and have the territory "owners" cut deals with each other to exchange talent. Realistically, you wouldn't even need to put more than a small handful of guys in each group under contract. Every other young wrestler in the world would be fighting for an undercard spot on those shows because that would be where you'd get noticed and picked up.

FCW had a couple of problems. 1. They couldn't even train guys to run the ropes properly. 2. Steve Keirn didn't seem to be a very good booker. 3. The whole thing seemed kinda micro-managed from Stamford. 4. It's in Florida and young men getting a decent wage for the first time in their lives living in a tropical paradise is not exactly conducive to getting them focussed on developing their skills.

I think a variety of promotions run by a handful of different old-timers (chosen for their skills in appropriate areas, of course) would be much different. OVW worked because Corny had some well-chosen recruits AND he knew how to develop them. Imagine how much better some of those guys could have ended up if they'd also had a stint working under a Pat Patterson or a Paul Heyman or a Jerry Lawler for 6 months or a year each, working different styles, hearing different booking philosophies and testing out different promos and gimmicks in front of a range of different audiences.

• Paid Members
FCW had a couple of problems. 1. They couldn't even train guys to run the ropes properly.

That's more than a couple, but I getcha. And I agree, something dropped off about the ringwork between OVW and FCW.

2. Steve Keirn didn't seem to be a very good booker.
Yeah, they gave people very little reason to care.

3. The whole thing seemed kinda micro-managed from Stamford.

I don't blame them on that one, really. It's their baby, it's basically an extension of Stamford.

4. It's in Florida and young men getting a decent wage for the first time in their lives living in a tropical paradise is not exactly conducive to getting them focussed on developing their skills.

Again, agreed.

I think a variety of promotions run by a handful of different old-timers (chosen for their skills in appropriate areas, of course) would be much different. OVW worked because Corny had some well-chosen recruits AND he knew how to develop them. Imagine how much better some of those guys could have ended up if they'd also had a stint working under a Pat Patterson or a Paul Heyman or a Jerry Lawler for 6 months or a year each, working different styles, hearing different booking philosophies and testing out different promos and gimmicks in front of a range of different audiences.

That simply isn't their aim, though. The ideal is taking advantage of the RoHs, the Chikaras, and Japan/Mexico/Europe - evaluate a worker, decide what it'd be best for them to bone up on - not much point sending Brodus to Mexico, but maybe he'd have benefitted from learning some new big man tricks in Europe, or how to work with smaller guys in Chikara. Send them out on loan, basically, so they can be a big fish in a smaller pond in a different sense. That's what I'd do, but they want to indoctrinate, not educate. I think that OVW obfuscated things to some degree, as they looked into a fantastic crop of guys, and ran with them.

• Moderators

I've often wondered if it would be worth sending people like Regal, Waltman, Goldust, Finlay and the like to work as full time wrestlers in FCW/whatever developmental so that the young talent would be working with talented ring generals often straight away before going up to WWE. It'd get them ready sooner, I'd think.

I've often wondered if it would be worth sending people like Regal, Waltman, Goldust, Finlay and the like to work as full time wrestlers in FCW/whatever developmental so that the young talent would be working with talented ring generals often straight away before going up to WWE. It'd get them ready sooner, I'd think.

I

• Paid Members

The way you learn is by going on the road with a veteran, it's what every money wrestler has done. Personally, I think they should have a 'reward' system for the developmental guys - you impress, you get to work house shows and piss about at Raw and that (whilst receiving a pay increase for working house shows) - instead of languishing in FCW for years. They are kind of doing that now with Seth Rollins and that other dude folk are raving about, I think.

I'd also be giving NJPW etc a phone to see if they fancy taking on some of their boys. It's a different style and crowd etc, but the number of average workers that have improved greatly by doing a few Japanese tours is impressive. Instead of spending all their time in WWEs developmental (with the same ideas), they can go tour Japan a few months at a time, can't hurt.

Triple H is on the right track though. Make developmental as miserable as possible, so the light weights leave early or they work extra hard to get out of there.

Probably a shitty idea, but what about making NXT into a quasi-developmental show? They'd be able to get used to the travel schedule, learn from the agents/main roster, get TV experience, learn to work/cut promos in front of a proper crowd etc.

• Paid Members

The suggestions for adding particular trainers seem to be missing the mark. If you're not producing good talent from a place with Dusty Rhodes and Rick Steamboat on hand, it's pretty clear there's a structural problem.

• Moderators

How much can Dusty Rhodes and Ricky Steamboat actually do with them between the ropes at this moment in time though? Can they, and especially Steamer, enter the ring and roll about a bit with the talent to pass on some of their knowledge with more than just words?

Rhodes and Steamboat are obviously great assets as explaining what to do and when to do it, and how to look at the right spot in the arena to make everyone in the crowd think that you're looking directly at them, but I propose they'll need ring generals there who can still actually physically get into the ring to really make it superb. How did Chris Masters become a fine hand? Getting in their with top veteran talents like HBK. How did the Divas stop being shit? Having a Fit Finlay to get in there and show them how it's done.

Archived