Wrestling Counterfactuals

Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

I still think Sting will eventually do that match with the Undertaker or Triple H (I might be the only one still thinking it'll happen, but still). WWE has had the last two WrestleMania's sorted anyway. The big question mark is who Undertaker wrestles next year? Sting is great these days. Sting's never been a better all rounder in his life than he is at the minute. Nobody is better at delivering scripted lines than Sting is and nobody is better than doing the "spot, work the crowd, spot, repeat" paint by numbers match than he is. He's truly a remarkable man. He's went from lazy god squad bloke to coming across like he has a geniune passion for what he's doing again. Its been great to witness He would fit into WWE better than anyone in TNA. Nobody could have got a match out of Hulk Hogan like he did. Hogan's looked abysmal with everyone else he's came in contact with since that Sting match. The Stinger deserves so much credit for how he helped him along at Bound for Glory

Also, Sting has something Goldberg, DDP and all those others didnt have. He has the respect of a lot of people in the office and in the locker room. He's not some big time Charlie, who they cant wait to bury. JR, Dusty, Michael Hayes, Triple H, The Undertaker, Steamboat and all those guys like him. I think he'd do great. Especially if he's wrestling the Undertaker. They couldnt not make him look like a threat.

• Paid Members

That's the dream, Ian. Sting having his final run, in WWE - in front of proper crowds every week. He's never looked as comfortable with working a crowd as he does now, he was loving the London shows. Sting has the verbal skills needed to carry the build for 'Taker.

We'll also get Sting in the Hall Of Fame and that DVD we're all after.

• Paid Members

How do you build an Undertaker vs. Sting match? As in, how do you tell your audience that Sting is a threat. For me, it's always been a dream match so one shot of Undertaker and Sting facing off in the ring and my money is on it's way. What about the normal audience though? Do you go down the Mr. WCW vs. Mr. WWE route? Do you emphasise that Sting is the only guy who's ever turned down Vince's money? Do you just fire up the vids of Sting battering a who's who of wrestling and go from there? Obviously you have to forget that HHH thinks they are the last two of a kind this year!

You could maybe play on the last two of a kind thing though? Have someone state that that there is still someone knocking about from that era, bring Sting in as the guy that never had chance to end the streak, and wants his opportunity...

• Paid Members
How do you build an Undertaker vs. Sting match? As in, how do you tell your audience that Sting is a threat. For me, it's always been a dream match so one shot of Undertaker and Sting facing off in the ring and my money is on it's way. What about the normal audience though? Do you go down the Mr. WCW vs. Mr. WWE route? Do you emphasise that Sting is the only guy who's ever turned down Vince's money? Do you just fire up the vids of Sting battering a who's who of wrestling and go from there? Obviously you have to forget that HHH thinks they are the last two of a kind this year!

WWE may choose also copy the 'silent guy in the rafters' thing (not sure how they'll pull it off though).

Getting Sting over to a new audience is an easy sell (most of the people that watch Raw are old enough to know who Sting is anyway). He still looks great and he carries himself like he's a big deal - that's most of the battle right there; Bret Hart, for example, looked rubbish and generally was a bit rubbish.

• Paid Members

Yeah, definitely. And certainly play up the WWE/WCW thing. They both were/are considered the 'conscience' of their respective brands and that's a big part of what appeals to me about it and why it would have felt so right to have been Sting challenging Undertaker in Atlanta last year.

Honestly though, regarding the normal audience, i could easily see interest being sparked purely through a bunch of WWE knocked up Sting videos and a face off between the two.

I think my question would be regarding WrestleMania 13. The original plan for the main event was Bret vs Micheals 2, what if that had still happened and we didn't get the greatest match of all time, the double turn and all the amazingness that followed?

Archived