The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Spent the weekend in Edinburgh, we went to the 'Michelin star' restaurant 'The Plumed Horse' in Leith & had the tasting menu. Absolutely tremendous stuff, some of the best food I've had.

If you're local to E'Burgh or going up & are celebrating I'd 100% recommend it.

• Paid Members
Wow wow wow. I'd already had my tea.

Are you trying to say "woah"?

Don't bind him to your rules, Rob.

Richie, did you nosh this thing down whilst watching a George Melies compliation, with a Bolt Thrower soundtrack?

Honestly, you're like fucking Uriah Heep (both types).

Local bakery company that is no longer in business used to do a version of Scotch eggs but with cheese instead of horse meat. They were absolutely fantastic. I miss them so much. Can Mrs Loki make them?

I'll ask. How does that work, is it grated cheese? Sounds a bit soggy to me.

• Paid Members
Local bakery company that is no longer in business used to do a version of Scotch eggs but with cheese instead of horse meat. They were absolutely fantastic. I miss them so much. Can Mrs Loki make them?

I'll ask. How does that work, is it grated cheese? Sounds a bit soggy to me.

I presume they were dipped in some sort of cheese sauce which then hardened.

• Paid Members
Spent the weekend in Edinburgh, we went to the 'Michelin star' restaurant 'The Plumed Horse' in Leith & had the tasting menu. Absolutely tremendous stuff, some of the best food I've had.

Not that I'd ever go to Scotland but I'm interested, what sort of dishes were on it?

Got invited to a restaurant corporate business night through work,they must've thought I was someone important or something.The food was ridiculous though,they had a waiter going round with trays full of expensive stuff,my favourite was scollops on award winning Irish black pudding,topped off wth organic green pee puree.Nicest thing I've had in my life,I must've ate about 14 or 15 of those little bastards.They were going for

• Paid Members

Not that I'd ever go to Scotland but I'm interested, what sort of dishes were on it?

We had 3 little appetizers when we sat down, a cube of smoked salmon terrine with caviar on top, a beetroot thingy with creme freche & a black pudding fritter with plum jam.

Then we had a bowl of jerusalem artichoke veloute with herb cream & shaved truffle.

Scallops on a leek rissotto with caviar

Fois Gras with bacon dust, redcurrant sauce & a peashoot salad

Roe Deer with celeriac puree, curly kale, roast garlic puree, potato croquette & baby leek

A pre dessert of goats cheese w/ roasted shallot & onion syrup

A Cherry souffle with marzipan ice cream & shortbread & finally

Hand made after dinner sweets - Sailor Jerrys choc truffle, a passion fruit jelly cube & an orange & vanilla macaroon.

First time I've ever eaten deer & caviar. I couldn't stop thinking about that Bottom episode...'It's fish poooo your maaaaam'

We had 3 little appetizers when we sat down, a cube of smoked salmon terrine with caviar on top, a beetroot thingy with creme freche & a black pudding fritter with plum jam.

Then we had a bowl of jerusalem artichoke veloute with herb cream & shaved truffle.

Scallops on a leek rissotto with caviar

Fois Gras with bacon dust, redcurrant sauce & a peashoot salad

Roe Deer with celeriac puree, curly kale, roast garlic puree, potato croquette & baby leek

A pre dessert of goats cheese w/ roasted shallot & onion syrup

A Cherry souffle with marzipan ice cream & shortbread & finally

Hand made after dinner sweets - Sailor Jerrys choc truffle, a passion fruit jelly cube & an orange & vanilla macaroon.

First time I've ever eaten deer & caviar. I couldn't stop thinking about that Bottom episode...'It's fish poooo your maaaaam'

I'm tempted to take the mrs, we're going down for a weekend sometime in the summer. I'm not sure I'm

• Moderators

:laugh: Did you have a massive urge to do or say something terribly unsophisticated just because of your surroundings? I think I would.

Whilst I'm on that topic, whenever I'm in a restaurant and a waiter walks past with someone's food, or I walk past another table with food on it, I have this real urge to eat some food off the plate. Like, even if I've already had my meal. I don't know why, but I just want the food that isn't mine.

• Paid Members

Absolutely! I swear far too much as it is, something I usually have to keep an eye on at work so I was trying to be on best behaviour as there were an older couple on the table next to us (at first I was convinced it was Clive James) so I made a conscious efford to tone it down. If anything, the closest I came to doing something unsophisticated was mopping up the veloute with some bread...it was sooo nice & I didn't want to waste any, I entertained licking the bowl but I think the wife would've been mortified.

Whilst I'm on that topic, whenever I'm in a restaurant and a waiter walks past with someone's food, or I walk past another table with food on it, I have this real urge to eat some food off the plate. Like, even if I've already had my meal. I don't know why, but I just want the food that isn't mine.

I think the technical term for that is 'Groaking' It's amazing what you pick up in these books of lists of facts now and again :thumbsup: