The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

I've been eating a lot of SPAM Fritters recently. They're lovely, instead of oven baking them however I like to play up to the Glaswegian stereotype by frying them. I ate two with onion rings last night and could actually feel my cholestrol go up. Worth it though.

SPAM fritters are great. One of the local chippies did them until it burnt down, and for 60p it was lunch on its own. The 'official' twaddle you can get from the supermarkets are rubbish though.

A local chip shop does a mushy pea fritter. I was amazed to discover how awesome it was.

It's probably something really obvious but how does that actually work? How do the pea's stick together?

I've been eating a lot of SPAM Fritters recently. They're lovely, instead of oven baking them however I like to play up to the Glaswegian stereotype by frying them. I ate two with onion rings last night and could actually feel my cholestrol go up. Worth it though.

SPAM fritters are great. One of the local chippies did them until it burnt down, and for 60p it was lunch on its own. The 'official' twaddle you can get from the supermarkets are rubbish though.

A local chip shop does a mushy pea fritter. I was amazed to discover how awesome it was.

It's probably something really obvious but how does that actually work? How do the pea's stick together?

Probably chilled then rolled and dipped in batter.

Up my way we say chipper rather than chippie. I'm wondering how common that is, because I think we just like being different.

• Awards Moderator

I've recommended this to a few people who initially thought I was mentally ill but have since agreed about the loveliness of it; if you fancy a nice snack then cheese and pineapple on crackers is just divine. I usually go for wholemeal crackers and Edam cheese but the combo works well with normal Jacob's and any other cheese. Give it a go, it's mega.

• Moderators

Make Quick Soak peas the day before, they go hard, mould them into a disc, dip in batter, fry.

• Paid Members

Best thing in the world are Chip shop Patties. It's something you don't get outside of East Yorkshire. Basically potato mashed with sage and fried in batter. Fantastic. The rest of the country is missing out.

Mrs Loki makes scotch eggs that are absolutely incredible. She puts a bit of chilli in them so they've got a bit of kick too. You don't need to deep fry scotch eggs, just oven bake them.

I have a feeling this thread is going to go the same way as all food threads around here, degenerate into talk of chip shop tucker before the inevitable series of fish puns.