Mid Card Titles

PSF

• Paid Members

Kind of related, I've always liked the idea of having a really nice lush robe to represent you are the champion, rather than a title. And call the title/robe 'Master' or something along those lines. You don't have to be too gimmicky like sometimes you felt obligated to when winning the KOTR, plus you would look like a fucking star.

Edit: Thinking about it, I probably thought of that idea from watching golf.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of related, I've always liked the idea of having a really nice lush robe to represent you are the champion, rather than a title. And call the title/robe 'Master' or something along those lines. You don't have to be too gimmicky like sometimes you felt obligated to when winning the KOTR, plus you would look like a fucking star.

Edit: Thinking about it, I probably thought of that idea from watching golf.

That's also quite similair to boxing and some types of martial arts as well

I've always liked the idea of a British promotion re-introducing some of the weight limit titles such as middleweight and lightweight titles. They used to have these in the world of sport days, and sometimes these were even more popular than the Heavyweight matches. So for example a promotion could have a British Heavyweight title, followed by British middleweight, welterweight and lightweight titles. I'm not sure if these would work nowadays though.

it works in MMA, its all about how its presented and booked, if presented with equal importance it will be viewed as such

No it wont, multiple weight divisions will never work in wrestling, at least not on a mainstream level. Why do you think TNA stropped giving the x division the main event slots? because despite being treated with near equal importance, people were more interested in seeinf Jeff Jarrett and the like than the little guys and their high flying. You dont "book" MMA like wrestling, its like saying "it worked for boxing".

it works in my British wrestling company with the tag titles being main evented over the singles title occasionally when the tag feud is presented stronger than the singles feud, I dont see how it would be any different for weight classes, create the interest in the feud and people will want to see it main event the show

• Paid Members
I've always liked the idea of a British promotion re-introducing some of the weight limit titles such as middleweight and lightweight titles. They used to have these in the world of sport days, and sometimes these were even more popular than the Heavyweight matches. So for example a promotion could have a British Heavyweight title, followed by British middleweight, welterweight and lightweight titles. I'm not sure if these would work nowadays though.

it works in MMA, its all about how its presented and booked, if presented with equal importance it will be viewed as such

No it wont, multiple weight divisions will never work in wrestling, at least not on a mainstream level. Why do you think TNA stropped giving the x division the main event slots? because despite being treated with near equal importance, people were more interested in seeinf Jeff Jarrett and the like than the little guys and their high flying. You dont "book" MMA like wrestling, its like saying "it worked for boxing".

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure TNA was doing around the same, if not better, Pay Per View buy rates when they were promoting the X-Division Title as being on the same level as the World Title, and that was with a much weaker roster in terms of drawing power.

I'd also say that when Jarrett was Champion guys like Styles, Joe and even Daniels were vastly more interesting. I like Jarrett and everything and I understand why he was Champion for so long but my God was he ever stale back then.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure TNA was doing around the same, if not better, Pay Per View buy rates when they were promoting the X-Division Title as being on the same level as the World Title, and that was with a much weaker roster in terms of drawing power.

I'd also say that when Jarrett was Champion guys like Styles, Joe and even Daniels were vastly more interesting. I like Jarrett and everything and I understand why he was Champion for so long but my God was he ever stale back then.

I stopped following TNA for quite a few years and have only recently started watching it again. I was gutted when I watched the last two PPV's to see that AJ Styles, Chris Daniels and Samoa Joe have all been pushed to mid-card level. I'll be honest id much rather see these three main eventing maybe with Austin Aries than watching the current main events they have

I think that originally the United States Title was meant to indicate that only Americans could challenge for it, wasn't it? These days, the name of the title is total nonsense: hypothetically Santino could enter into a US Title feud with Wade Barrett and they could have a house show title match in Rio or something. But why, from a logic standpoint, would an Italian and an Englishman be wrestling in Rio to decide who the best wrestler in America was? It's just as daft as X-Pac and Shane McMahon trading the European Title.

What I'd like to see in WWE is those titles being re-established under their 'original' intentions; it's not like you couldn't get loads of angles out of it (Cody refuses to defend his title against Santino or outside of the Americas; Khali is re-invented as a repatriated American to challenge for the US Title, etc). Zack Ryder's Internet Championship isn't the worst idea for WWE either, for those marooned on Superstars or NXT.

In Britwres, LPW used to have a Central Counties Championship; given most British companies are regional anyway, it makes sense to have a similarly-titled regional title as a secondary belt. Particularly if, say, the North-West Counties Champion from one promotion gets booked on a Home Counties show for another and marches in claiming he's better than their HC Champion...

• Moderators
I think that originally the United States Title was meant to indicate that only Americans could challenge for it, wasn't it? These days, the name of the title is total nonsense: hypothetically Santino could enter into a US Title feud with Wade Barrett and they could have a house show title match in Rio or something. But why, from a logic standpoint, would an Italian and an Englishman be wrestling in Rio to decide who the best wrestler in America was? It's just as daft as X-Pac and Shane McMahon trading the European Title.

What I'd like to see in WWE is those titles being re-established under their 'original' intentions; it's not like you couldn't get loads of angles out of it (Cody refuses to defend his title against Santino or outside of the Americas; Khali is re-invented as a repatriated American to challenge for the US Title, etc). Zack Ryder's Internet Championship isn't the worst idea for WWE either, for those marooned on Superstars or NXT.

I don't think so, it's news to me anyway.

New Zealand's Pat O'Connor was the inaugural St Louis US title holder in 1960, The Sheik (Gimmicked Indian) won the WWWF version in 1967, Jimmy Snuka won the Mid-Atlantic one which I suppose is the WWE one now in 1979. Hans Scmidt, a Canuck billed as a German, won the Chicago version in 1956! I've never been under the impression that the US title was exclusively for the Americans, much like people who weren't born in Texas could wrestle for the Texas Heavyweight title in Dallas. It might be the case from before then, but not the case in the past 50 years. If anyone can find any info on whether the National Wrestling Association had a US title back in the day though it'd be awesome if they'd sit me under their learning tree.

New Zealand's Pat O'Connor was the inaugural St Louis US title holder in 1960, The Sheik (Gimmicked Indian) won the WWWF version in 1967, Jimmy Snuka won the Mid-Atlantic one which I suppose is the WWE one now in 1979. Hans Scmidt, a Canuck billed as a German, won the Chicago version in 1956! I've never been under the impression that the US title was exclusively for the Americans, much like people who weren't born in Texas could wrestle for the Texas Heavyweight title in Dallas. It might be the case from before then, but not the case in the past 50 years. If anyone can find any info on whether the National Wrestling Association had a US title back in the day though it'd be awesome if they'd sit me under their learning tree.

I don't think they did, it wasn't until the formation of the National Wrestling Alliance that the majority of the belts started popping up. I know they had a World Heavyweight, Light Heavyweight and Welterweight but I've found nothing else.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Back in the glory year of 2001 when Angle, Jericho and Benoit were setting the wrestling world alight each week, 11-year old Super Cena always hoped that the WWF would create a Submission Title. If they stuck a 15-minute time limit on each of the Submission title matches and made it such that the holder would have to defend it at each episode of Smackdown, I thought that they could have had a number of ways they could have gone with it.

I had my then-heel Eddie Guerrero figure go on a run whereby he would be at the verge of tapping out to the face challengers' submissions just as the time limit expired. Eventually an announcement was made that put him in a PPV match with no time limit. The storyline no doubt fizzled out in the same manor as the Argumental thread, but that's par for the course.

In this age of many MMA-inspired styles and matches within wrestling, I'm surprised (or ignorant to the fact should there be one) that there isn't a Submission championship.

Ah, fair enough: I defer to your knowledge there. Personally, I think it should have some sort of hook like that if it's going to be called a United States Championship; either US residents only or defended only in the United States. At least something that goes some way to explaining the name. Otherwise it may as well be called the Mid Card Title.

Back in the glory year of 2001 when Angle, Jericho and Benoit were setting the wrestling world alight each week, 11-year old Super Cena always hoped that the WWF would create a Submission Title. If they stuck a 15-minute time limit on each of the Submission title matches and made it such that the holder would have to defend it at each episode of Smackdown, I thought that they could have had a number of ways they could have gone with it.

I like that idea, it

• Paid Members

I can see that kind of gimmick belt getting over in somewhere like ROH but I would fucking hate it in WWE even back in the era Super Cena's on about. It's just a horrible idea.

I can see that kind of gimmick belt getting over in somewhere like ROH but I would fucking hate it in WWE even back in the era Super Cena's on about. It's just a horrible idea.

Agree. I think the title has two fundamental flaws: (1) It would encourage matches to slow down, at a time where wrestling matches are generally faster. (2) Doing decent submission matches is a skill and one not everyone on the roster would be able to pull it off.

Just my thoughts on it.

The buyrates are probably lower for numerous reasons:-

Hardcore fans who like spot fests and cruisers and the like are more willing to shell out money than your typical casual fan

PPV calibre matches are given away for free constantly

The economy is suffering, buyrates are down in WWE as well

I know Jarett was stale as fuck, I just used him as an example. Fact is, could you ever see a crusierweight title match headlining over a heavyweight match, in ANY COMBAT SPORT? Short of a few exceptions like Maywetaher, Pacqiaou and maybe GSP in MMA, I dont think you would. A tag title match headli ing a British indy show is different than a "welterweight" championship being introduced in TNA or WWE and pushed as equal to the heavyweight championship. Business would suffer, I guarantee it.

Archived