Vince Russo offering seminar on how to book pro-wrestling.

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Didn't WWE want Russo back writing for them around 2002? But I think it was Taker and Bradshaw didn't want him there because they didn't like how he left in 99 or something.

Russo's alright imo, he just needs someone like Vince to make sure he doesn't stray too far into the '....on a pole' territory. I didn't see much of his time in TNA but I do think he was great for that time in the late 90s. Very creative and a good fit for what Vince was going for at the time. Wasn't much keen on him as an on air character in WCW though.

Chalk me up for the Pro-Russo brigade. Like others have said he is a bit hit and miss but not shit and has made a succesful career doing what he does, whether people like his ideas or not. You can't come up with golden ideas every time, some are going to stink and he must know that he gets panned by a lot of fans but he obviously doesn't let it put him off and he just keeps going. Fair play to him for this, I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say. If he did the whole thing as a book I'd be even more interested.

Am I the only one who kinda understood Russo's reasoning behind giving David Arquette the World Title too?

I mean, he's right in so much as had DDP won the strap they wouldn't have bagged the front page of the NY Post [or whatever paper it was] and got those celebrity cameos, like Courtney Cox, to appear on subsequent shows for free like they did when Arquette won.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the idea in practice, but I can certainly see the logic.

It only works if you discard that people at least slightly want to pretend that what they are witnessing is in some way an athletic spectacle.

Not necessatily - Arguette's win was booked as a fluke and he beat a non-wrestler in Bischoff with the assistance of an actual wrestler in DDP.

I can suspend my disbelief and say that's an entirely possible scenario.

I just think in that scenario you're in danger of further alienating the core audience, who would [and did] hate the thing, while trying to attract back the casuals and gain a bit of minor publicity.

Didn't WWE want Russo back writing for them around 2002? But I think it was Taker and Bradshaw didn't want him there because they didn't like how he left in 99 or something.

Russo's alright imo, he just needs someone like Vince to make sure he doesn't stray too far into the '....on a pole' territory. I didn't see much of his time in TNA but I do think he was great for that time in the late 90s. Very creative and a good fit for what Vince was going for at the time. Wasn't much keen on him as an on air character in WCW though.

I thought he asked WWE for a job just so he could get fired and work for TNA.

• Paid Members

Wasn't the story:

McMahon: Hey everyone, Russo's back and I bet he's got some great ideas.

Russo: Sure have. For starters, we're going to make Rock gay.

McMahon: What?! Why?

Russo: What do you mean "Why?"

McMahon: This isn't working, is it.

• Paid Members

And what happened after that? Rock played a gay bloke in Be Cool.

beyondthemat1.jpg

We make movies ...

Serious question, could Russo's ideas be worse than the writing team of the last 10 years? Nobody has ever doubted Russo's ability to come up with some clever ideas (he had a lot of hits as far as one off ideas which he didnt have the ability to expand on in TNA). I'll not deny, he cant struture a thing and gives away about 50 things before we know a new characters finishing move, but WWE has always been a promotion with rules as to how things would be done. If Russo was in a team where he was throwing ideas about, I think he'd be a good fit currently. In WCW and TNA, he was responsable for everything. In WWE, they'd never allow that.

And I want to see The Undertaker do a country singer gimmick. In overalls.

Archived