The Worst of Television

Vice

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Men Behaving Badly didn't really get going until series 3 though, and was particularly awful with Harry Enfield in the first series.

Aye, very true. I do have a soft spot for the second series though. Tony working at his record stall with Neville had its moments.

• Paid Members

I think Ritchie meant the "Screaming Queen" types that annoy gay people as much as anyone, and in no way feel that he was having a go. Twats like Colin and Justin, who run around shrieking all the time.

Was Frank Skinner's sitcom "Shane" any good? I can't remember ever seeing it. I know he's said that he filmed a 2nd series, but ITV never showed it. How bad can it have been for ITV to have paid for it and then kept it in the can?

It came out around the time of the Office so it looked,rightly or wrongly, really old fashioned and dated. The fact Frank couldn't act and the show itself was pretty shite probably didn't help either.

It's a shame because I think Frank Skinner is brilliant.

• Paid Members

I found out recently (via the UKFF chat of all places) that there was a second series of Shane made, but its in a vault somewhere at the ITV equivalent of Titan Towers. When I think of Shane, I think of leaving college and the real world smacking me in the face like a sledgehammer. It was quite crap.

This thread is shit and you're all twats.

Okay, not exactly, but it gets on my tits when people jump all over bargain basement telly, when it's effectively like taking the piss out of the div kid at school anyway. What a yawner when something like this comes up and people can't wait to shit on reality and/or talent TV rather than pick on examples that actually deserve it.

Those shows were born that way, carefully designed for the audience that they greatly satisfy. I'm not a fan for the most part, but it's not shit telly by a long stretch. It's a particular corner of television designed to entertain people that would have made or not made their social and personality choices regardless of what their favourite shows feed them. Out of all of them, I probably only enjoy X-Factor, but I'm fully aware I'm not the target audience, so it's bloody ludicrous to harp on about it when it gets a bit shite. Just let daft cunts have shows they enjoy too, and get off your high horses.

Cleets is on point with Lost, for example. Some of the ITV/BBC/BBC Three shitehawk sitcoms are good examples too. These are bad shows/moments/stories where something of a higher standard has potential to escape, but doesn't. NBC can make an endless stream of excellent shows, so why was Outsourced so painfully dull and needless? Two Pints of Lager had a dangerously long run for a show so endlessly bleak and trashy. That one Pity mentioned is a disgraceful effort too. And why the fuck are we still subjected to The Big Bang Theory? Why won't it just fuck off? God I hate the Big Bang Theory.

"Clever" shows clearly made for stupid people are the biggest offenders, actually. Mock The Week, Outnumbered, and to a lesser extent, QI. They're all bad news due to the scope of their audience. Mock The Week in particular was a disgusting shower of shite and a way worse influence than Geordie Shore or Big Brother. Let your favourite mongs on your Facebook list enjoy their reality and talent shows, because if they watch Mock the Week they'll parrot all the shite they've heard and annoy you 80 trillion times more than they already do. I'd rather find out off of them who's shagged a dwarf in a jacuzzi than have them tell me about how to fix the country via a stream of Andy Parsons one-liners.

That reminds me too, anything that involves Michael McIntyre too. Absolutely anything. I cannot bare to even think about him as I type this without getting a bit wound up.

Frank Skinner's wife in Shane was played by that woman who is Ralph Fiennes' wife in In Bruges. She was in The Office Christmas specials as well. I remember it being shite. They had a son who was really annoying, he might have played young Del Boy as well but I could be wrong on that.

Shane was better than Frank Skinner's other sitcom, the one where he had a whippet or greyhound or something.

• Paid Members
Shane was better than Frank Skinner's other sitcom, the one where he had a whippet or greyhound or something.

Blue Heaven? Terrible, if I remember rightly - but with a cast that included Bill Bailey, Phillip Glenister and John Thomson. Obviously didn't harm their careers!

He's had a weird old TV existence that has veered unpredictably from the absolutely awful to the really excellent. I still think he should have been given the permanent Never Mind The Buzzcocks gig, his guest hosting slot on that was fantastic.

• Paid Members
Coming of Age and No Likey No Lighty are very, very bad.

Please don't get me started on Coming of Age again :sneaky:

The faux reality shows now are just mental, it's incredible how stupid people are. Basically after about 8 or 9 years, Reality shows have gotten boring to the viewer so now we have reality shows, that are not actually technically reality shows, but are in essence a form of a reality show. It's like a riddle, a fucked up spray tanned riddle. People watch it and comment on it as if it's real, or as if actually took place. The concept confuses the fuck out of me. The top TV shows in this country are based around non-actors, acting in what appear to be bad parodies of American soap operas. ~WHERE'S THE CONSISTENCY!!!!~

I guess NEWM is right that these shows are easy to attack but fucking hell, the amount of publicity and column pages this shit gets makes it hard to avoid, to the point where you are driven to just loathe these programs even if you avoid them on transmission.

Also, The obvious humor type of sitcom. You're Coming of Age, Two Pints, Bottle fucking Boys, where the comedy is spoon fed to you. Balls that is.

... and 'Lost'... FUCK LOST.

ITV did a sitcom set in a hardware store with Martin Freeman and Peter Serefinowitz that wasn't totally shit, think it got a second series as well.

Ironically enough called 'Hardware'. ITV has a fucking appauling history with sitcoms and comedies. For something as good as 'The New Statesman' you get something like 'Sam's Game'.

Archived