The Worst of Television

Vice

What would you say are some of the worst television shows, ideas or moments?

This thread is inspired by Channel 4's recent turd, Make Bradford British. They got a bunch of people of different ethnicities, who had all failed a citizenship test, to live together and carry out tasks to see if they could find a common "Britishness," because, ya know, "multiculturalism has failed" and this is how Channel 4 were gonna save it. There were no facts in this programme, no clear definition of crucial terms, no real insight into the selection process, and not even a proper representation of Bradford's diversity or as a city generally. It was just shameless, lazy, sensationalist, patronising garbage reality TV that played up to stereotypes and masqueraded as something decent and important. In short; it was total trash.

Another of Channel 4's stinkers is last year's Hippo: Wild Feast - Live. It was a series of short clips of a decomposing hippo being eaten by various animals. This posed as some sort of insightful nature programming, but it was clearly just a cheap way to get a load of grotesque, crass images on the air. Watching this was basically TV rubbernecking. Here's one broadcast, of vultures pecking at the dead hippo's anus:

Over to you guys.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh, here we fucking go. Reality this, talent that. There is still a mass... an absolutely mass... of great stuff on the TV. In fact, probably better than there ever has been. What's fucking mainstream TV, Richie? If you're not watching mainstream TV, what TV are you watching?

Personally, I thank reality TV and talent shows for fucking the god awful soaps off of US television, they were a real blight - badly acted, bollocks plots, and all over the place - had their own magazines, which now seem to be retooling as reality show rags.

I watched that Hippo show, and thought it was good. It certainly wasnt presented in the way youre making out. Youre making out that it was a Rude Tube-esque "Top 10 Sickest Moments of Hippo Getting Eaten" clip show, when in fact it was an hour and a half long show, which went into detail about the different stages of the food chain. If anything, there wasnt enough action of the bigger animals tucking in to the corpse. The shot of 50+ crocs in and around the dead Hippo was great TV.

I watched that Hippo show, and thought it was good. It certainly wasnt presented in the way youre making out. Youre making out that it was a Rude Tube-esque "Top 10 Sickest Moments of Hippo Getting Eaten" clip show, when in fact it was an hour and a half long show, which went into detail about the different stages of the food chain. If anything, there wasnt enough action of the bigger animals tucking in to the corpse. The shot of 50+ crocs in and around the dead Hippo was great TV.

Done a quick Google search on this. Preceding the hour-and-a-half-long show in November (which I didn't see), they aired a series of daily shorts from October 21 to 26, which is what I was referring to and which definitely were simply exploitational.

Richie? If you're not watching mainstream TV, what TV are you watching?

Maybe “UK pop culture TV” may have been a better phrase? I was referring to the shit that’s been on terrestrial TV and all over the front pages of the shitrags in this country for a good few years now. Pretty much the only things I watch on TV these days are sport and the Simpsons. I don’t have a TV connected to an aerial in my bedroom. I prefer radio / retro gaming / reading the internet / watching old videos for my viewing entertainment, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

Watching ridiculously OTT gays / attention whores live in a house together and attempt to “out camp” each other or watching some sympathy seeking little cunt singing a shit song on TV because their great aunty had died just doesn’t turn me on. It’s for fucking thick, impressionable teenage girls as far as I’m concerned. If other people feel differently, that’s their opinion. This is merely mine.

No offence to people who like Big Brother and Pop Stars.

Ha! it's so true. It's seems prime time tv is mostly catered for females and homosexuals. What happened to ITV producing sit-coms? The only one they produce is Benidorm. One fucking sit-com!

Geordie Fucking Shore. I probably hate it more than most, seeing the impression it's giving the rest of the country and potentially the world of my region. I've lost count of the amount of bellends on facebook who say shit like 'but it's so cringe, I just can't look away - it's brilliant TV!'. No, seriously, fuck you. If you're watching it, then you're responsible for making a group of worthless, obnoxious, imbecilic cunts rich, and for swamping the streets of Newcastle with a copycat horde of irony-free orange mongs in poncey V-necks that go down to their cocks, and you're responsible for the future generations of useless cabbages they're going to produce by shagging bubbleheaded slappers with no self-esteem and creating couplings in which neither partner is bright enough to figure out how to work a condom. Again, fuck you.

• Paid Members
Watching ridiculously OTT gays / attention whores

You know, no matter how hard you've worked to garner some genuine love round here, you still can't quite shake the fact that you're a massive idiot in some ways.

Archived