Shit catchphrases that didnt quite catch on.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

He had some belters in WCW. He had some pretty good matches with Raven and Perry Saturn in 98, he had a match with DDP in the dying days of WCW which was really good. Kanyon dragged Buff Bagwell to a good match in 2000, when Bagwell wasnt having good matches with anyone. One of Mike Awesome's few good singles matches came against Kanyon, because Kanyon knew how to make Awesome look like the big man he'd been in ECW (a lot of WCW wrestlers didnt want to do the big man/little man thing with him). He had a good 2000 as Positively Kanyon, where he wrestled on TV every week. As said above, Kanyon's greatest strength was his ability to bump around and come up with spots that stood out. When he was doing a job, he always went above the call of duty as well. He'd bump everywhere.

He was an important clog in the WCW machine. He was a trainer and a talent scout. He brought in a lot of guys, like Blitzkreig, Shane Helms, Billy Kidman and a load of American cruiserweights. It was always strange why the WWF let him go. He seems like someone who is absolutely perfect for an Ohio Valley or a FCW.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He probably brought in a few of those cruisers because he fancied them though..... :omg:

I thought Kanyon was great. I enjoyed all his runs, and generally found him very watchable and believable. Good look, good mic skills, and as stated - bumped everywhere, excellently. I also always thought he was very innovative with his spots and moves.

I thought he was set for a good run with WWE when they put the two titles on him, but it wasn't to be and i, too was surprised he was let go. Didn't he have quite a vocal push to get re-hired? Under a bi-sexual gimmick or something?

Is the general consensus that Kanyon was pretty good? I have to say that I can't remember seeing many of his matches, he came along when I stopped watching wrestling for a few years.

What are generally regarded as his best matches?

Good question actually, because he doesn't seem to be talked about a whole lot, and isn't really famous for any particular standout matches.

I thought he was great. Whilst few matches became famous, he was involved in loads of good ones in WCW, albeit his spot in the card sometimes limited him. But in terms of sub-10 minute TV matches on Thunder or whatever, you could fire off a pretty long list of good stuff, from his Mortis days(or as a Man At Work?) all the way through to WCW's demise.

A lot of his best stuff tended to be against a small circle of opponents. As Ian says, he often had good matches with Raven, Saturn, sometimes both, and DDP. There's at least two or three against each of them floating around the streaming sites. And as Rick also says, he was involved and played a major part in various tags and 6 mans as part of the Triad. That was probably the best thing happening in WCW during summer '99, and you had good TV matches most weeks. Check out any of them and you won't go far wrong. He also had an excellent singles match on Thunder vs Benoit round about that time, it would've been July I think. There was one from the tail end of 1998 too. I remember always getting a laugh whenever he was opposite Benoit because he used to sell the snot-blowing :laugh:

As already mentioned, he dragged a really good match out of Mike Awesome at Slamboree 2000, which was tainted slightly by the finish. Awesome showed his gratitude by nearly breaking his neck via a Brock/Holly spot. Then there's the Superbrawl Revenge match with DDP, along with a rematch the next night on Nitro. I can remember a good match around May '99 on Thunder vs Rey Misterio Jr also.

As Ian rightly mentioned, one of his best attributes was just how great a bumper he was, and how he'd use it to always make his opponents look good. I don't mean that in terms of the stuntman type stuff, but just how he generally bumped for standard offense. The fancy moves helped a lot to define him and make him interesting on offense, but whilst Indie ham'neggers tend to look up to him for that alone, that wasn't all that he was about. He was well grounded and solid even without that, the offense just added to the appeal. I would definitely disagree with Rick in that he was 'spotty', except maybe around the Mortis/blood runs cold time, because he wasn't, he was just flashy and I wouldn't say it's the same thing.

In general, he was usually a sure bet to make the most of whatever TV time he was allocated. If there's a vid featuring him that goes 7 or 8 minutes, chances are it would be pretty fun.

All that and I think he was meant to be one of the decent guys. A real shame that he's dead.

Didn't he have quite a vocal push to get re-hired? Under a bi-sexual gimmick or something?

I believe that Kanyon wanted to be an openly gay wrestler. With being gay the gimmick. Wouldn't have worked in a million years due to being not very interesting and that a lot of the WWE audience in the USA come across as homophobic twits.

I loved Kanyon during his WCW days. He was one of the favourites on the roster around 1999/2000. And his "Champagne" gimmick was way too short-lived as well.

• Paid Members

I was a big fan of Kanyon in WCW. Loved his work, he had a good look and yes that catchphrase was over. Some of the moves he pulled out of his hat were wonderful. Was it Kanyon that did the reverse attitude adjustment? I'm sure he mullered a member of The Flock with that once.

Think he was the stunt man on that awful WCW Ready to Rumble movie too iirc,I always liked Kanyon but that ''Who betta'' catchphrase used to annoy my 13 year old self back in the day.

Did he have any memorable matches during his run with the WWF?the only one I can remember is him and DDP getting beaten by Kane and Taker for the tag belts in a cage at Summerslam 01.

Think by the time he was lobying for WWE to re-hire him as an openly gay wrestler his mental faculties were seriously on the decline,I remember reading a story somewhere about how he used to put up posters in local shopping malls etc inviting wrestling fans over to his gaff to watch Raw/SD! with him just so he wouldn't be alone,which is a pretty sad way to end up.

• Paid Members
Think he was the stunt man on that awful WCW Ready to Rumble movie too iirc,I always liked Kanyon but that ''Who betta'' catchphrase used to annoy my 13 year old self back in the day.

Did he have any memorable matches during his run with the WWF?the only one I can remember is him and DDP getting beaten by Kane and Taker for the tag belts in a cage at Summerslam 01.

Think by the time he was lobying for WWE to re-hire him as an openly gay wrestler his mental faculties were seriously on the decline,I remember reading a story somewhere about how he used to put up posters in local shopping malls etc inviting wrestling fans over to his gaff to watch Raw/SD! with him just so he wouldn't be alone,which is a pretty sad way to end up.

Then Kanyon was obviously doing his job right.

He was the stunt man I think for Jimmy the King or whatever the lead character was.

No idea why they did fuck all with Kanyon after he came back around early 2003.

I have nothing to contribute to the shit catchphrases discussion but I absolutely loved Kanyon. C C K was class however short lived it was. I also remember when the dirts sheets were saying he wrestled dark matches as Mortis I was creaming myself at the thought of a Mortis vs Undertaker match. How young I was :(

Archived