Hobbies and pastimes you had as a child...

Bus Surfer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
I think this is the perfect outlet for Burchills Buddy to explain how he used to fleece money out of his friends as a teenager via a Fantasy Football league he created.

Fucking hell. I used to do the extortionate Play-by-mail leagues. A fraudulent variation on that perchance?

• Moderators

Juggling. For the majority of my teens, even into the sixth form, I told the career advisers that I was going to join the circus, or at least open a juggling shop and teach classes. The latter part sounds incredibly wacky in 2012, but there were a good few juggling shops where I'm from. I practiced a few hours a day for years, half-thinking girls would be well impressed, which they never were, obviously. About the same time all the other lads were touching their first fannies, I was probably outside throwing clubs about and balancing a broom on my chin.

The only people you really see juggling as adults now are really smelly hippies who listen to the Levellers. That said, if I pass a fruit-bowl, three or four oranges are going up in the air. It's just a reflex. But girls are still not impressed.

I think this is the perfect outlet for Burchills Buddy to explain how he used to fleece money out of his friends as a teenager via a Fantasy Football league he created.

Fucking hell. I used to do the extortionate Play-by-mail leagues. A fraudulent variation on that perchance?

Another football PBMer here, as well as the famous Nic Higton wrestling one. Internet generation kids will never, ever believe such a thing existed.

What's a juggling shop?

I used to do a football play-by-mail game as well, and gave my players the names of the boys from school who were actually good at football. But they picked on me for it when they found it. I always lost anyway, and gave up after a couple of months.

• Paid Members

I used to spend my time drawing and making stuff. I was also into designing football related stuff - even drawing/colouring in personalised football boots I imagined I would have worn, if Craig Brown had a clue and picked me for France 98. I remember drawing a New Old Trafford too. I was into Star Trek and superheros at the time and would make little comics, none were ever best sellers.

When it came to playing football, I lack any real skill. I was a good keeper when I was younger though, diving all over the place. My story is similar to NEWM, in that I got fatter and lazier once my Dad got me and my little brother a Playstation. Getting chunkier did lend itself to playing rugby though and I was half decent at it.

The thing I enjoyed most about being young was spending all day mucking about in the woods or the park etc, coming back for your tea and going back out again. I can't even be arsed with a conversation these days.

• Moderators
What's a juggling shop?

Exactly what it sounds like. A shop that sells all the various varieties of balls, clubs and other juggling-type apparatus like devil sticks or diablos. And there's a lot of variety. Maybe it's just the artsy, coastal area I'm from, but there seemed to be a ton of juggling/magic shops when I was a kid, and I'd spend hour browsing the balls you could set on fire, or various racks of crazy looking tricks. It was almost a fad in the mid-90s, in that era of big, wacky trousers and white men with dreadlocks. I was doubley lucky, because the annual International Clown Convention was held right down the road from me every year, so I could stock up on nerdy new juggling shit.

275005786_38e7ec8899.jpg

These were the bomb, yo. Radical Fish clubs. Also forgot to mention that for my sixteenth birthday, I got a unicycle. Happiest day of my life.

Fuck, I want to browse a juggling-slash-magic shop right now. I'VE GOT THE ITCH.

• Paid Members

School Holidays usually consisted of a group of lads attempting to make a den. Then we would playing football using somebody gates as goals until they came home. When the night kicked in it was either Egging,Knock a door and run or garden hopping.

• Paid Members

Around the age of 12-13 we built a treehouse in one of our mate's back gardens. It was a fucking monstrosity- a huge, ugly thing made of bits of wood, corrugated plastic and anything else we could get our hands on without paying anything. It was in a tree round the back of his garage that looked directly onto some old dear's kitchen to the rear. I'm amazed we got away with it for as long as we did, it must have been up there for a couple of years. The old dear would come out and complain about it all the time, which we thought was hilarious, being a bunch of little twats.

We put some proper effort into that treehouse mind, it had carpet inside, lights hooked up to a battery and we even took a TV up there.

We were proud as fuck of it. We even booby-trapped it to deter intruders (mainly my mate's mum). Looking back, some of those traps could have legitimately killed someone.

• Paid Members
Around the age of 12-13 we built a treehouse in one of our mate's back gardens. It was a fucking monstrosity- a huge, ugly thing made of bits of wood, corrugated plastic and anything else we could get our hands on without paying anything. It was in a tree round the back of his garage that looked directly onto some old dear's kitchen to the rear. I'm amazed we got away with it for as long as we did, it must have been up there for a couple of years. The old dear would come out and complain about it all the time, which we thought was hilarious, being a bunch of little twats.

We put some proper effort into that treehouse mind, it had carpet inside, lights hooked up to a battery and we even took a TV up there.

We were proud as fuck of it. We even booby-trapped it to deter intruders (mainly my mate's mum). Looking back, some of those traps could have legitimately killed someone.

I remember me and one of my very infrequent mates wanted to build a treehouse. We nailed a plank of wood into an apple tree by the side of a main road and just left it at that.

• Paid Members
Karate, I'm surprised nobody else has had this one on here yet. When I was a kid, you had to do Karate. I stuck at it for a couple of years, progressed to orange belt (Shotokan Karate). However in year 8 my school friends started going to a youth club nearby on the same night as my Karate sessions. As a 13 year old, what do you choose between- chasing skirt whilst showing off your latest chequered Ben Sherman shirt or poncing about in a school gym? Needless to say, I knocked Karate on the head.

My friend who I went Karate with stuck with it, attained black belt pretty quickly and came second in the British championships for our age group. A massive 'what if' on my part there. But it wasn't Cobra Kai, so fuck it.

I never got into Karate but I went to both Boxing and Thai kickboxing in my teens. I was really enthusiastic when I started Boxing class at 13 but by the time I was 15 I couldn't be arsed as much. By then my time was spent on girls and drinking. Plus I had all the usual GCSE/coursework stuff going on and I just fell out of it completely.

Then I took up Thai boxing when I left school, mainly because I liked watching it and wanted to get in shape. I enjoyed it but once I got a job on a building site with my uncle I'd come home knackered and didn't fancy getting kicked in the legs. I still went for a few months but I had my first long term girlfriend around that time and I jacked it in not long after.

It's a shame because if I'd stuck at the Boxing/Thai training I'd have loved to give MMA a go later on but I'm 26 now and I've left it too late. If I stayed with it I think I'd enjoy it even more now but I binned it off when other things cropped up and I do kind of regret that now.

I used to spend my time drawing and making stuff. I was also into designing football related stuff - even drawing/colouring in personalised football boots I imagined I would have worn, if Craig Brown had a clue and picked me for France 98. I remember drawing a New Old Trafford too. I was into Star Trek and superheros at the time and would make little comics, none were ever best sellers.

I used to love drawing aswell right from when I was really young up until about 13/14. Loads of people said I was really good but I just stopped doing it for no real reason.

I find the only time I draw now is when I'm on the phone for ages and my mind wanders. I don't even realize I'm doing it and if there's a pen and something to draw on anywhere near the vicinity of the phone I turn into Rolf Harris and draw all sorts of stuff on it. It's got me in the shit a few times though. I once hung up the phone and discovered I'd done a cartoon of what appeared to be the dog off the Churchill ads smoking a spliff on my sister's college folder. It could have been worse, my mom had written a condolence card to a neighbour and it was right next to the folder. Needless to say, after that incident all pens were removed from the coffee table.

• Paid Members

On the subject of building dens, myself, Ebb and the rest of our mates made a gigantic cabin round the back of an old carpark/junkyard that served to keep us dry on a Friday night for many years. We named it Deftones.

It was extended over time and in its heyday, could easily house 10 drunken teenagers. We had a dart board and even tiled the floor. Fucking great it was.

Archived