UFC 145: 'Jones vs Evans' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeh, ive kinda forgotten about the heavyweights on the card. I'm quite surprised that Schaub/Rothwell got billed over Griggs/Browne too, but they should still be good fights. Rothwell needs to pull something outta the bag here or he's gone surely.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my reaction this card would have been much less if it was a month ago but due to the lack of a numbered UFC card for a while i am now really excited for this. Don't know if this was the intention but it really makes it feel special.As far as what i think will happen i am going for Jones to win but in close fight even though everything around the fight has made me get behind Rashad even though i am a big Jones fan.For the rest i am taking Macdonald, Schaub, McDonald , Hominick, Bocek

• Paid Members

037_Jon_Jones_and_Rashad_Evans_large.jpg

Can't bastard wait.

Full Chael Sonnen Q&A (skip to around 17 mins in)

Weigh ins (skip to 8 mins)

Jon Jones Interview

http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2012/4/19/...ed-me-too-early

Rashad Evans Interview

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/19/2...-jones-mma-news

And MMAFighting.com's also got interviews up with Greg Jackson, GSP, Miguel Torres, Michael McDonald, Stephen Thompson, Matt Brown, Che Mills and Rory MacDonald.

And for anyone that hasn't seen them yet

Jones/Evans Primetime Episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UY2OJTLseU

Episode 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNe4ONncPY

Episode 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rfEpgok9hs

Few quick thoughts on the card...

This show is all about Bones and Rashad but as it gets closer I'm really looking forward to most of the card. Browne/Griggs as mentioned should be a good heavyweight fight which I'd expect to end in a KO. Hominick's rebound from his 7 second KO loss will be interesting too.

But loads of the undercard fights like Torres/McDonald, Brown/Thompson, Njokuani/Makdessi, Danzig/Efrain and Maximo's debut have serious potential. I'm really excited for all them. In fact, I'd say the FX prelims portion of this card looks better than the PPV (bar the main event obviously).

It's a lot better card than the one match show it's been billed as I reckon.

Rothwell/Schaub still holds little interest for me. I can't stand Schaub and despite me liking Big Ben in the IFL, he's been lacklustre in the UFC so far. Maybe this fight will surprise me. Either way I'm rooting for Rothwell.

I expect Rory should beat Che Mills. I'd love to see the upset but it's unlikely. A lot more risk than reward for Rory in that one though, Che has nowt to lose as the underdog.

Finally hyped for this, thank god, I was worried my fandom was waning due to the time between major events and the timing of WWE/Wrestlemania/Lesnar. Luckily not the case at all, spent the day and night refreshing myself on UFC, including an event simulation on the video game. It's telling that I played other matches on the card and got to the 3rd round in a few, but in the Jones/Rashad fight I fought as Jones and knocked out Rashad in two minutes. :pSeriously though, styles makes fights. When was the last time Rashad fought a striker as dynamic as Jones? Davis' striking is mostly just decent boxing, Ortiz is an okay kickboxer but I wouldn't call him world class. Rampage just has power punches nowadays. Thiago Silva is more versatile, and even with a bad back gave Rashad some problems in the 3rd IIRC. Then we have Machida... yep, Rashad really can't handle Jones on the feet IMO, and still wouldn't have an easy time with his ground game.

The undercard is not that bad, Torres vs Mcdonald and Mills vs Macdonald I am really looking forward to. Schaub vs Rothwell I could do without but hopefully Schaub will end that fast, not really a fan of either. I would have also preffered Thompson vs Brown to be on the Main Card over the Boeck and Homminick fights.The Main Event is the big draw though. I am not a big fan of either, whilst not being a hater of either although I am slightly leaning towards sticking up for Rashad. So I can just sit back relax and watch it play out. Jones should win, maybe easily but the big fight atmosphere and hype should be epic, its Sold Out as well so hopefully the crowd will be loud.

I've been really lackluster in following MMA overall. Dipped in and out of different events, but not really followed it for any more than that (even after seeing Fedor's Strikeforce debut live in Chicago!).

However, after watching Warrior I'm all for watching this one. Not hugely familiar with Evans or Jones, but I know their names and the hype preview special did a great job of getting me pumped up for this. Liking the sound of a decent undercard too, saw the hype for Rory/Chae Mills too, and that has some nice backstory to it.

From what I've seen in the past, UFC is great at making shows seem 'big time', and this one definitely is a big time event. Looking forward to seeing my first show in way too long! Who knows, I may finally bite the bullet and commit to UFC watching regularly!!

• Paid Members

Is this repeated any time after Wednesday? My folks are getting a new TV package with ESPN and a recording gimmick on Wednesday and I'm really hoping I can catch this without having to resort to the dark arts.

Is this repeated any time after Wednesday? My folks are getting a new TV package with ESPN and a recording gimmick on Wednesday and I'm really hoping I can catch this without having to resort to the dark arts.

Thursday night/Friday morning at 12.00am.

**SPOILERS**

Good show. Yagin/Hominick was my Fight of the Night, I scored for Yagin 29-28. Hominick's now lost three on the bounce. Michael McDonald knocked out Miguel Torres in the first round and Ben Rothwell knocked out Brendan Schaub in the first round. The latter went over a minute but was fun while it lasted. GIF's have already come out to Schaub getting KO'd and grabbing at air:

157ki6s.gif

Out of the two KO's, I'd have given the Knockout of the Night bonus to Michael McDonald (Ben Rothwell got it). Rory MacDonald dominated Che Mills stopping him in the second and the main event fight between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans was disappointing. Evans offered nothing. So far Lyoto Machida has only given Jones a fight winning the first round of their fight at UFC 140 before getting choked out by a standing guillotine choke in the second round.

**SPOILERS**

Good show. Yagin/Hominick was my Fight of the Night, I scored for Yagin 29-28. Hominick's now lost three on the bounce. Michael McDonald knocked out Miguel Torres in the first round and Ben Rothwell knocked out Brendan Schaub in the first round. The latter went over a minute but was fun while it lasted. GIF's have already come out to Schaub getting KO'd and grabbing at air:

157ki6s.gif

Out of the two KO's, I'd have given the Knockout of the Night bonus to Michael McDonald (Ben Rothwell got it). Rory MacDonald dominated Che Mills stopping him in the second and the main event fight between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans was disappointing. Evans offered nothing. So far Lyoto Machida has only given Jones a fight winning the first round of their fight at UFC 140 before getting choked out by a standing guillotine choke in the second round.

Can Henderson crack the code that is Bones Jones?

Archived