UFC 145: 'Jones vs Evans' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This fight depends what Rashard turns up to the fight.

Do we get the Evans' who faced Phil Davis then I have it in favour of Jones

But if we get wrestler or the rashard who faced Tito/Chuck then I have it in Favour Rashard.

I can only see this fight going to the Judges which at the moment is never good

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the majority want Rashad to win.

Jones is like Matt Hughes in 2005-2006, people respect him as a fighter but they want someone/anyone to come along to rain on his parade. I do not think I have seen as much hate for a MMA fighter online as I see for Jones, I know people on here just like Rashad but elsewhere Jones is fucking despised as a person.

• Paid Members

Yeah I see that a lot on other sites. I always really look forward to his fights, outside the cage I do think he comes off as a bit of a cocky fucker but I don't mind him. There is something there though, like an underlying arrogance. He doesn't always act cocky but he still seems it somehow. Like Mir a bit in that respect for me.

I would love to see Rashad win though, I've become a big fan of his over the years and I kind of agree with him that Jones comes off as a bit of a fake Mr Nice Guy.

I'm wondering with this fight about if Rashad can find a way to pressure Jones and gas him a bit maybe. Jones doesn't have horrible cardio but he's looked a bit winded at times, even in fights he's winning comfortably. He looked a bit panicked after round 1 against Machida aswell so maybe there's some weakness there to exploit.

Jones did finish Rampage in the 4th round but that fight was fought at a pretty slow pace and Jones was able to dictate the range and pace of the fight so he wasn't gonna tire really at that pace. Maybe Rashad can get in close and make Jones work harder than he wants?

Fuck knows. It's all just guesswork, there's really no clear weakness I see in Jones and I may be clutching at straws but I think if Rashad was able to get some momentum early on, like a takedown or something big then Jones could possibly start to panick a bit. Easier said than done.

I'm starting to think this will go the distance with Jones winning a fairly clear decision.

• Paid Members
2566292[/url]']

Dana confirmed that Henderson gets the winner. I got Rashad at 3/1 - couldnt resist the odds :S

Hasn't he said Hendo gets to pick between either MW or LHW?

I really can't see past Jones. He's too big, too strong and has more ways to win, but I'm firmly on Rashad's team. I don't know what's gonna happen but I know for sure I will be a bag of nerves watching this. I can't wait.

Also I reckon Rashad's odds will be even lower come fight day, so I'm holding out for a better price :)

Silky Kisser Posted Yesterday, 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Heatseeker @ Mar 30 2012, 10:08)

2566292[/url]']

Dana confirmed that Henderson gets the winner. I got Rashad at 3/1 - couldnt resist the odds :S

Hasn't he said Hendo gets to pick between either MW or LHW?

I really can't see past Jones. He's too big, too strong and has more ways to win, but I'm firmly on Rashad's team. I don't know what's gonna happen but I know for sure I will be a bag of nerves watching this. I can't wait.

Also I reckon Rashad's odds will be even lower come fight day, so I'm holding out for a better price smile.gif

That'll teach me to skim the news ;) If Jones wins I hope Hendo picks LHW over MW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=DNtXyPwRfCo

Primetime Episode 1

I enjoyed it, I never knew Rashad recently got divorced. I think Jones will still win, but after watching this I am kinda starting to root for Rashad, I have never warmed to Jacksons as a camp despite their huge sucsess coaching GSP, Jones, Guida and others. Jones himself I have no real problem with, he is without a doubt the scariest guy to come along in a while and is well on his way to being a all time great, there is just a lack of character and edge to Jones and the Jackson camp.

It is somthing I cannot quite put my finger on, they seem kinda dull and middle of the road. Maybe I am still sour about Machida getting whipped by Jones though. I do find it easier to take Rashad's side, again there is somthing about Jackson/Winklejohn I find unlikable. Rashad who I have disliked for years is actually growing on me. plus I love the name of his camp "blackzilians"

Rashad also comes across a bit more honest about things, he admits some days Jones did ok against him in training and his stories about how they split up are not that unbelievable. I was not that hyped for this fight due to having no real preference to who wins plus other MMA happenings overshadowing it like Overeem and the hype for Sonnen/Silva, but after this special I am quite looking forward to it.

• Paid Members

Rashad all the way for me.

He's one of my favourite guys in MMA. One of the funniest guys in the sport and I've always found him to be a likeable character myself.

And he's got a ton of talent, if you look at his early UFC fights he has massively improved in my opinion. It's something I don't think he gets enough credit for. Rogan's always going on about Koscheck's evolution from one dimensional wrestler to well rounded MMA fighter but I really never saw that much improvement in Kos to be honest. All he's really added to his game is the overhand right Chuck showed him on the first season of TUF. He's improved but not as much as Rogan cracks on I don't think.

Rashad also was truly a one trick pony for a while there. If you look at his early UFC fights with Stephan Bonnar and Sam Hoger, you'd never guess he'd go on to win the title and beat guys like Liddell and Rampage or score some of the best highlight reel KOs anyone's ever seen in MMA. The second Tito fight last year was probably the most well rounded performance yet from him. He looked really solid in all areas, he's come a long way.

So yeah I'm hoping Rashad pulls it off.

On Jones, I love watching him fight but he does come off as a right smug, up himself, self righteous twonk sometimes. Just little things he does sometimes rub me the wrong way. Like in the fight with Rampage the way he kinda lifted up and dropped Rampage after the round ended. And then after he beat him the way he smugly picked him up like a child who's fell over. Might sound nitpicky but if you look at the way he did it, it just reeks of cockiness.

That's not in itself what I dislike, it's fine to be cocky, especially when you're as talented as Jones. But he tries to come off as the goody two shoes, butter wouldn't melt, polite little choir boy type in interviews but it seems like sometimes the mask slips and his actions say otherwise. I think that's why when Rashad calls him phoney or fake I see what he means.

All the God squad stuff grates on my a tad after a bit too. A few fighters do that. I'm not religious, I'm cool with people who are but I don't need to hear about it all the time. God (if he exists) doesn't give a fuck about MMA and he wasn't in your corner giving you strength to batter the other bloke. Amen.

I agree with you about Jones' attitude and I find the god bothering stuff annoying too. I still like Jones though, just purely because of how exciting he is to watch. Its when you look at how young he is and how much he's improved in a short time. You've got to think how much better he can become with more time and he definitely has the physicality to become an all time great.

• Paid Members

Yeah defo, not taking anything away from his talent as a fighter. The scary thing about him is he's going through the very top level fighters with ease and in all likelihood he hasn't even hit his prime yet. It's incredible.

As much as I've had a dig at him above, I always look forward to his fights. He's got something about him when he fights, the way he moves and makes it look effortless. Like Anderson Silva, it's amazing to watch. Even more amazing in a way because even Anderson wasn't always some Ninja like we know him now, it took him years to really hit his stride. Jones is a freak, you just shouldn't be that good after such a short time in the sport.

And at his age he could fight another 10-15 years if he stays healthy.

• Paid Members
What's Che Mills done to deserve Rory MacDonald? Too lazy to look him up, but wasn't he the guy who got a quick impressive KO in his debut on the prelims a few months back? Pretty big jump to co-main event. Torres vs. McDonald would be a better choice.

it's basically a Rory McDonald showcase, like someone mentioned it was originally meant to be in Canada and McDonald is the hottest MMA prospect in the country. It's an unbelievable no-lose situation for Mills, to think he didn't even make it into the TUF house a few years back, wild.

Archived