UFC 145: 'Jones vs Evans' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

UFC%20145.jpg

PPV MAIN CARD (ESPN UK)

Jon Jones vs Rashad Evans - UFC Light Heavyweight Title

Rory MacDonald vs Che Mills

Ben Rothwell vs Brendan Schaub

Miguel Torres vs Michael McDonald

Mark Hominick vs Eddie Yagin

Mark Bocek vs John Alessio

FX PRELIMS (ufc.tv)

Travis Browne vs Chad Griggs

Matt Brown vs Stephen Thompson

Anthony Njokuani vs John Makdessi

Mac Danzig vs Efrain Escudero

FACEBOOK PRELIMS

Chris Clements vs Keith Wisniewski

Maximo Blanco vs Marcus Brimage

This is the next big PPV so thought it was worth getting the ball rolling with this thread. I expect they'll probably change up the fight order soon, can't see Rothwell/Schaub (both coming off losses) staying on the main card over the likes of Rory MacDonald. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they whack the McCall/Johnson rematch on this one aswell. They said April was likely for that.

Main event's a big grudge match that's been a long time coming. The fight was made twice (UFC 133 last Aug and 140 in Dec) but both times got cancelled due to hand injuries to both guys. Hopefully 3rd time lucky and no injuries prevent the fight coming off this time.

Rest of the card looks good. Torres/McDonald, Wiman/Bocek and Njokuani/Makdessi could all be show stealers. I'm really looking forward to seeing Maximo Blanco finally in the UFC and Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson again.

Rory/Che Mills seems a bit of an odd fight to make but it will be good to see Rory back in there. Browne/Griggs should be lively. Griggs doesn't fuck about and he has some power so I can see this one ending with a bang either way.

I really don't have a lot of interest in Rothwell vs Schaub. It could surprise me but I dunno, just not really into them two. I'll root for Big Ben though cos there's something about Schaub and I've never liked him.

Anyway, I can't wait for the main event.

rashad_evans_jon_jones-610x457.jpg

Evans-Jones-2.jpg

Jones-rashad_staredown_large.jpg

Rashad%20Evans%20Jon%20Jones%20UFC%20145%20Jones%20v%20Evans%20Haov-Zgr68Ml.jpg

Where did it all go wrong?

I love this trailer

The press conference from last month

Jones and Evans on SportsNite talkshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCT9d5gtbuc

old video of Rashad talking with Joe Rogan about Jones situation back when the beef started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j98ryGrVMjU

I love watching Jones fight but I'm firmly on Team Rashad for this one.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As previously mentioned in another thread I hope Rashard knocks jones off his high horse and brings him back down to planet earth . Jones believes all his own hype and is so far up his own arse of late and why not he's beaten some of the best at 205lbs. But still hoping Rashard can pull out the W with this one

The issue with Jones is his reach is fantastic and his sprawl is good. As much as I want to see him loose I don't want 5 rounds of Evans laying on him and not advancing position. Lets hope his cardio is better than the Phil Davis fight he looked shattered.

Rashad's best chance is to keep this standing and get inside Mike Tyson style. Machida was beating Jones striking wise before Jones scored that takedown and brutal elbow.

Rashad does not want Jones on top of him at all, even briefly could lead to a fight ending elbow, Jones has the most brutal GnP in the sport the only way to escape it is to lock in a armbar on those big skinny arms, he was leaving openings with Vera but before Vera could do anything he got a broken orbital bone. I do not think Rashad has the submission game to trouble Jones anyway.

For me it comes down to whether or not Rashad can stop the takedowns and manage to close the distance and land punches. In a straight boxing match I would favor Rashad, in a MMA bout Jones has too many weapons, not just skill wise but genetically as well with his height and reach advantage. If Rashad gets in close where he has the best chance of landing on Jones he will get clinched or takendown, if Rashad stays away and works from the distance Jones can use his reach and jab Rashad, picking him apart all night.

Rashad needs to be super fast and evasive in this and stick and move, as Machida is the king of that and Jones caught him, I do not see Rashad lasting the distance.

Jones TKO Round 2/3

• Paid Members

I'm picking Jones aswell. I think he'll stop Rashad around the 3rd or 4th round.

About a year ago when talk of this fight first started I thought Rashad would struggle with Jones because of the way Jones handled wrestlers so easily. Over time though, I dunno, I feel like Rashad has a decent shot. He's a wrestler but he's a better overall fighter than the other wrestlers Jones fought imo.

And there's the factor of Rashad having trained with Jones and possibly having an edge mentally. Or 'renting space in his head' as Teddy Atlas would say :D

It's gonna be interesting. It's hard to pick against Jones at this point though. I honestly don't see anyone at 205 who I'd pick to beat him at the moment. I think I'd give Machida the best shot in a rematch but even then I'd probably end up picking Jones. He's improving at such a pace that you don't know what you're getting from one fight to the next.

I don't see an obvious path for Rashad. I'd give him the edge in power and I think his boxing is better but Jones has that ridiculous reach and Rashad's gonna have to take risks to get near him. Jones has been a fucker to take down so far aswell so that isn't necessarily an obvious path to take either.

Despite that, I do think Rashad can probably take him down. If he can take down Phil Davis who's maybe the most accomplished wrestler in the weightclass then I'm not ruling it out. But Davis was so jumpy on the feet I think it made it a bit easier for Rashad to surprise him. I'm not sure he'll be able to do that as effectively to Jones.

So no obvious path for Rashad to win imo. Then again I thought the same when he fought Rampage and look what happened there. Rashad seems to rise to the occasion in these fights where he's the underdog, so who knows?

I'm gonna stick with my head and say Jones by TKO round 3/4 though.

think I'd give Machida the best shot in a rematch but even then I'd probably end up picking Jones. He's improving at such a pace that you don't know what you're getting from one fight to the next.

I agree with this totally. I felt Machida had Jones in trouble in the first round and even though 2 of the judges scored it for Jones, Machida clearly won.

It all comes down to keeping Jones from scoring a takedown for Machida, unfortunatly Jones striking will improve so the advantage Machida had in the first fight may not be as significant if they fought again.

It is forgotten that Machida was in shite shape if you believe the rumours, Jordan Breen tweeted he was sick going in and King Mo hinted that Machida had problems with his cardio due to some injury. Whilst this could be excuse making, I can actually believe it as King Mo had no real reason to say otherwise, and he stuttered when he gave that information like he was revealing too much and had been asked to keep quiet about what he saw in Machida's training camp.

The question of can Rashad takedown Jones is a interesting one, I will say no based on Jones strength and skill. However, it would not be a shock if he did Rashad shut down Rampage for 3 rounds with takedowns and he mauled Tito Ortiz as well, both of these are ok wrestlers. The Davis fight as mentioned also is a positive for Rashad in this case.

Scary thing is though Jones is still not the finshed article, the fact he will get better is scary for all the 205lbs division.

• Paid Members

Had a feeling they'd bring back Primetime for this. Should be good. This fight goes back a while so I'm glad there will be 3 parts to really get into it instead of a rushed Countdown.

They've announced the full lineup now aswell (see the first post). Bit odd having Rory/Che as co-main event but there wasn't really many other options. Still don't get why Rothwell and Schaub get on the PPV after there decisive losses to Hunt and Nog in their last fights. I'd have rathered Torres/McDonald on the PPV and bump Maximo to FX but whatever.

I really hope Jones and Rashad don't get injured because although the rest of the fights should be good they've really put all their eggs in the main event basket for this one. If one of them gets injured maybe Hendo could step in but if not then it will be pretty much a Fight Night they'd be charging PPV price for. And Rory vs Che as a PPV main event would be a big step down from Jones vs Rashad.

What's Che Mills done to deserve Rory MacDonald? Too lazy to look him up, but wasn't he the guy who got a quick impressive KO in his debut on the prelims a few months back? Pretty big jump to co-main event. Torres vs. McDonald would be a better choice.

It's obviously a one match show in terms of star power, but in terms of fighter skill just about every one could be fireworks.

• Paid Members
What's Che Mills done to deserve Rory MacDonald? Too lazy to look him up, but wasn't he the guy who got a quick impressive KO in his debut on the prelims a few months back? Pretty big jump to co-main event. Torres vs. McDonald would be a better choice.

Yeah Mills scored a first round KO over Chris Cope at UFC 138 in Birmingham. It's a bit of a jump going from Cope to Rory MacDonald but a big opportunity for him aswell, although I don't see it going well for him.

It's obviously a one match show in terms of star power, but in terms of fighter skill just about every one could be fireworks.

Totally agree with this. Much like UFC 138, not massive on names (main event aside) but some really good looking matchups style wise.

Archived