Where will wrestling be 10 years from now?

goldeneye86

Wrestling hasn't been portrayed as a sport for about 30 years now!!!

So why do they win and lose and challenge for Championship belts?

Tigers right. Of course it's presented as a sport, in the same way Eastenders is presented as real life. That's different than something being a sport.

I disagree, Eastenders is presented as a Drama.

If Eastenders is presented as real life, what are documentaries?

If wrestling is presented as a sport, what is UFC?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The same reason Rocky did. Were the Rocky films primarily about boxing?

Yes. If they were just about some bloke called Rocky who chased chickens and ran up steps in preparation for a night of Bingo, no-one would have watched!

And that's who totally irrelevant anyway. rocky was a film. It's a self contained 90 minute story. Pro-wrestling is a fake sport presented live in front of tens of thousands of people. I agree with your point about characters, I bet everyone reading this does but the rest of your argument is nonsense. The wrestling bit of it can't be dismissed. That context is always important because the goal is to entice people into arenas and into PPV purchases to watch wrestling matches.

The same reason Rocky did. Were the Rocky films primarily about boxing?

Yes. If they were just about some bloke called Rocky who chased chickens and ran up steps in preparation for a night of Bingo, no-one would have watched!

And that's who totally irrelevant anyway. rocky was a film. It's a self contained 90 minute story. Pro-wrestling is a fake sport presented live in front of tens of thousands of people. I agree with your point about characters, I bet everyone reading this does but the rest of your argument is nonsense. The wrestling bit of it can't be dismissed. That context is always important because the goal is to entice people into arenas and into PPV purchases to watch wrestling matches.

Rocky played out infront of millions in theatres / Cinemas.... what difference does that make?

The rest of my arguement?? I haven't argued anything else other than the point about characters and the parallel with soap operas.... its other people that have argued about PPVs and such like.

If the context and setting was more important than the characters why do WWE fill arenas and stadiums, when ROH don't?

Why do WWE have the TV deals and ROH don't?

ROH's "wrestling" is arguably far better.

Its the characters that WWE get people to come and see, not the wrestling matches. If some random company set up and event at the O2 presenting "wrestling matches" how many people turn up??? WWE come along and advertise John Cena, Undertaker, CM Punk and all the other guys from WWE, then how many people turn up? The wrestling matches just happen to be the place where the stories come to a head, and when it comes to house shows where no matches are even announced, then it is not even the stories that sell the tickets...... it's ... well you guessed it.

Archived