Where will wrestling be 10 years from now?

goldeneye86

I'll say it again, slowly this time ......

You can say it as slowly as you like, it doesn't change the fact that saying "WWE is nothing more than a soap opera" is fucking thick. There are similarities between them, but they're not the exact same thing at all.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll say it again, slowly this time ......

You can say it as slowly as you like, it doesn't change the fact that saying "WWE is nothing more than a soap opera" is fucking thick. There are similarities between them, but they're not the exact same thing at all.

Look dont be a twat and start calling me thick. Just because you cant understand my point about character development being pretty much the same as a soap opera, doesn't mean others can't.

For your edification.....

From Wiki

A soap opera, sometimes called "soap" for short, is an ongoing, episodic work of dramatic fiction presented in serial format on radio or as television programming.

A crucial element that defines soap opera is the open-ended nature of the narrative, with stories spanning several episodes. The defining feature that makes a television program a soap opera, according to Albert Moran, is "that form of television that works with a continuous open narrative. Each episode ends with a promise that the storyline is to be continued in another episode".

Soap opera stories run concurrently, intersect and lead into further developments. An individual episode of a soap opera will generally switch between several different concurrent story threads that may at times interconnect and affect one another or may run entirely independent of each other. Each episode may feature some of the show's current storylines but not always all of them. Especially in daytime serials and those that are screened each weekday, there is some rotation of both storyline and actors so any given storyline or actor will appear in some but usually not all of a week's worth of episodes. Soap operas rarely bring all the current storylines to a conclusion at the same time. When one storyline ends there are several other story threads at differing stages of development. Soap opera episodes typically end on some sort of cliffhanger, and the Season Finale ends in the same way, only to be resolved when the show returns for the start of a new yearly broadcast.

Does this not sound like WWE programming to you??

Now, does that help you catch up with the rest of us??????

• Paid Members
Look dont be a twat and start calling me thick.

I suppose he's supposed to just forget that patronising slow ... writing ... thing ... you ... did ... for ... comic ... effect, then? Bit hypocritical, no?

And I'm completely lost at what you are getting at, personally. WWE is live entertainment, where things change based on the vocal ticket buyers and the people watching at home. Its not a soap, no matter how you slice it. Thats why its called "sports entertainment". Unlike normal telly, WWE can change their direction as a storyline is going on.

I suppose he's supposed to just forget that patronising slow ... writing ... thing ... you ... did ... for ... comic ... effect, then? Bit hypocritical, no?

And I'm completely lost at what you are getting at, personally. WWE is live entertainment, where things change based on the vocal ticket buyers and the people watching at home. Its not a soap, no matter how you slice it.

If you are lost at the point I am making, read the description posted above of what a soap opera is. Now i'm pretty sure most people can see very strong similarities between that description and WWE programming.

If you can tell me how the way that WWE tells stories and uses characters is essentially different from this then you are providing a strong counter arguement for my point.

If you and the other fella can't then I will continue to consider WWE a soap opera.

But the dunce cap fits you so well. I promise to stop calling you thick when you stop being thick. Of course, when is nothing more than if.

If you are lost at the point I am making, read the description posted above of what a soap opera is. Now i'm pretty sure most people can see very strong similarities between that description and WWE programming.

If... You... Scroll... Up... A... Bit, you'll see that I indeed agree there are similarities, but you're not saying there are similarities, are you? You're saying they're exactly the same thing. "Nothing more than a soap opera" indeed.

If... You... Scroll... Up... A... Bit, you'll see that I indeed agree there are similarities, but you're not saying there are similarities, are you? You're saying they're exactly the same thing. "Nothing more than a soap opera" indeed.

I beleive that they are the same thing, but I am willing to be enlightned oh great master!!

Answer me this....... What are the differences then between how WWE use characters and tell their stories and how a TV Soap uses their characters and tells their stories?

• Moderators

Stories in wrestling can and do change completely from week to week with next to no notice ripping up continuity and future plans due to live crowd reaction and TV numbers, or Vince McMahon just deciding he doesn't like someone anymore (See: Miz, The). Soaps can't really and don't tend to do that. That's a big difference to be starting on with. I mean, it's not as if they're going to quash Nigel and Dot's angle in the space a show to the next because the audience didn't like it.

Stories in wrestling can and do change completely from week to week with next to no notice ripping up continuity and future plans due to live crowd reaction and TV numbers, or Vince McMahon just deciding he doesn't like someone anymore (See: Miz, The). Soaps can't really and don't tend to do that. That's a big difference to be starting on with. I mean, it's not as if they're going to quash Nigel and Dot's angle in the space a show to the next because the audience didn't like it.

Soaps and TV Dramas have gotten rid of characters that are not working, and have continuity issues all over, with the same actor playing different roles at different times or completely changing the actor that plays a character ( as wwe have ... doink, sin cara, Razor & Diesel), or changing one of the characters histories to introduce a new storyline idea.

The Ferreira family on eastenders "were not well received by critics or viewers and were dismissed as unrealistic by the Asian community in the UK." so they were written out pretty sharpish. If Eastenders was shown the same week it was shot, I'm am pretty sure they would have gotten rid of them quicker than they did, but they had to work with the stuff that had already been shot.

In Series 3 of Lost they introduced two new characters called Nikki and Paulo. They decided that they were not working and killed them both off a couple of episodes later.

No real difference from WWE, just WWE have the flexibility to do it quicker.

But maybe that is one of the problems WWE have had, they dont give time for anything to develop and are a little too knee jerk. I keep using Mark henry as an example, but when they persisted with him, he started getting over.

• Moderators

Soaps and TV Dramas have gotten rid of characters that are not working, and have continuity issues all over, with the same actor playing different roles at different times or completely changing the actor that plays a character ( as wwe have ... doink, sin cara, Razor & Diesel), or changing one of the characters histories to introduce a new storyline idea.

I'm referring exclusively from show to show. That's why I said "it's not as if they're going to quash Nigel and Dot's angle in the space a show to the next because the audience didn't like it.". Soaps are filmed what, 4 weeks in advance? So if something's not working they'll still have to run it for 4 weeks, and still normally will come to some kind of climax. In WWE if it's got negative feedback it's forgotten within 7 days. No climax either half the time. Just dropped.

I'm referring exclusively from show to show. That's why I said "it's not as if they're going to quash Nigel and Dot's angle in the space a show to the next because the audience didn't like it.". Soaps are filmed what, 4 weeks in advance? So if something's not working they'll still have to run it for 4 weeks, and still normally will come to some kind of climax. In WWE if it's got negative feedback it's forgotten within 7 days. No climax either half the time. Just dropped.

Its still the same in as much as the producers respond to the reaction the show is getting and make changes. OK as I said WWE have the flexibility to do it quicker, but that doesnt essentially change it from being the same as a soap opera does it??

Answer me this....... What are the differences then

peggy1997_917418a.jpg

Remember when Peggy and Nigel did this promo, winking at the camera and going "The new Nigel red tie, now available exclusively on EastendersShop.com"?

6538382-1.jpg

"This isn't Grant Mitchell talking to Sharon. This is Ross Kemp talking to Letitia Dean." Remember that one?

Soap gay:

Wrestling gay:

• Paid Members

Surely the biggest difference is that WWE storylines build up to PPV events. It's not like the only time you're expected to pay extra for storyline developments is a spin-off video where Santino, Hornswaggle, Zack Ryder and the Bella Twins win a cruise holiday (making sure to slow right down when passing a Harveys lorry on the way to the port) and hilarious misunderstandings ensue, never to be mentioned on Raw except when somebody gets a postcard.

Answer me this....... What are the differences then

peggy1997_917418a.jpg

Remember when Peggy and Nigel did this promo, winking at the camera and going "The new Nigel red tie, now available exclusively on EastendersShop.com"?

6538382-1.jpg

"This isn't Grant Mitchell talking to Sharon. This is Ross Kemp talking to Letitia Dean." Remember that one?

Soap gay:

Wrestling gay:

Again I have no idea what point you are making.

Archived