Your Fav Video Games console EVER

goldeneye86

the NES was my first proper console (refuse to acknowledge the commadore 64 as one) and used to play the hell out of both mario bros and duck hunt. owned a gameboy and got addicted to playing super mario and tetris, used to spend my time in my nan's after doing homework playing sonic and italia 90 on my uncles megadrive, always played on mario kart and iss on my mates SNES and since the original came out have been a playstation guy, owning all 3 consoles and a psp

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a console but my Amiga 500 is the best and most used games machine I've ever had. Tons and tons of games, all different genres. Games easy to get hold of, easy to copy and cheap enough to buy. the best games were easily up there with anything on a Snes or Megadrive.

Could you copy Amiga games on the Amiga itself?

• Paid Members

Ive had loads over the years. The only thing i dont think i have ever owned was a Jaguar. I worked in Game Station when it first opened so i had the chance to re-buy a number of consoles for next to nowt, that was a joy.

I think i will have to opt for the Mega Drive - it was brilliant.

I had a Jaguar. Loved that console, defended it to death to my friends.

It was shit. Bought a PSOne when Gran Turismo came out, never looked back. Still got the Jag somewhere.

• Paid Members
Not a console but my Amiga 500 is the best and most used games machine I've ever had. Tons and tons of games, all different genres. Games easy to get hold of, easy to copy and cheap enough to buy. the best games were easily up there with anything on a Snes or Megadrive.

Could you copy Amiga games on the Amiga itself?

Yeah, it had it's own DOS type operating system. Used to use a program called XCopy or something similar. I miss that thing. I got mine second hand off an artist who'd customised it too. It was ace.

NES with Duck Hunt,International Track and Field and Road to Wrestlemania

Mega Drive was a close second for me for Road Rash

Spectrum ZX would be in there also but its not a games console as such.

The Amstrad CPC 464 was my absolute baby growing up. All the other kids had either SNES or the first Megadrive and there's me at 7 or 8 years old running this tape driven beauty upstiars that would take upwards of ten minutes to load so you'd better fucking hope by the time you'd got the thing fired up you weren't going to get bored. Target Renegade, Aliens, Treasure Island Dizzy and, bizarrely, Bangers And Mash were my games of choice on that badboy.

I got a Megadrive 2 after that which I've still got and fire up every now and then, Mortal Kombat 1, 2, 3 were never far away from that thing.

• Paid Members
The Amstrad CPC 464 was my absolute baby growing up. All the other kids had either SNES or the first Megadrive and there's me at 7 or 8 years old running this tape driven beauty upstiars that would take upwards of ten minutes to load so you'd better fucking hope by the time you'd got the thing fired up you weren't going to get bored. Target Renegade, Aliens, Treasure Island Dizzy and, bizarrely, Bangers And Mash were my games of choice on that badboy.

I had a Speccy 128k. My baby brothers had to go to bed at 7 so I was banned from loading any games after that because the noise it made woke them up. At about 6:50, I'd hear my Mum getting them out of the bath so I had to load up my game for the rest of the night at that point.

At 7:05 it would crash.

I was playing the Mortal Kombat collection on Xbox 360 the other day. They're certainly not as fun as they used to be, and I definitely find Street Fighter 2 to have aged far better. MK always relied on the blood etc and controversy rather than being a decent game anyway.

I remember going down to Broadstairs as a kid to their little arcade and playing Mortal Kombat with some 'move cards' I'd obtained from a gaming magazine.

Could I do them though? Could I fuck.

• Paid Members

I gave my Amiga 500 the best years of my life.

My Dad's mate used to copy Amiga games, and every Christmas we'd get a stack of about 200 games ranging from the utterly shit, to the top of the range (Speedball, Cannon Fodder, Dune etc..), with the odd homemade gem thrown in that no one has ever heard of (Rockstar Ate My Hamster anyone?)

We ended up with around 1500 games, and I reckon 5 of those were bought proper from a shop.

I had a Speccy 128k. My baby brothers had to go to bed at 7 so I was banned from loading any games after that because the noise it made woke them up. At about 6:50, I'd hear my Mum getting them out of the bath so I had to load up my game for the rest of the night at that point.

At 7:05 it would crash.

The best thing about the old tape loaders was that you'd get these 4th/5th hand copy tapes with utterly random games on. Some wouldn't load, and some would but then wouldn't play, but in amongst them you'd often find real gems. You could fit a lot of games onto a D90.

Even with official compilations it was touch and go. I bought Softaid, and 2 of the games at least didn't play, including a really interesting one about a Wizard that got all the way to the start screen and then wiped out. A couple of years ago I finally found it on emulation, and was gutted it turned out to be crap.

• Paid Members

It's hard for me to pick because I have a bunch of lovely nostalgic memories for all of the consoles I've owned. If pushed I'll go with the SNES though. Donkey Kong country probably being the best thing about it. For the time, the graphics were amazing, the game seemed massive and filled with colour. I just remember it being so fun to play. Minecart Madness~

Also, the best version of Mario Kart was the SNES version. Pure addiction.

Even with official compilations it was touch and go. I bought Softaid, and 2 of the games at least didn't play, including a really interesting one about a Wizard that got all the way to the start screen and then wiped out. A couple of years ago I finally found it on emulation, and was gutted it turned out to be crap.

I once got a cassette from Crash magazine on which only the worst-reviewed game loaded. Software House. Turned out to be amazing and is probably the game I played 2nd most on my Spectrum after Target Renegade.

Archived