Your Fav Video Games console EVER

goldeneye86

I'd go with the SNES. From the day it was released, I'd be up in Comet playing it as much as I could. When I got one, games were still expensive and each one was precious.

It'd be a close-run thing with the PS1, but I only got that because the N64 didn't come out in time for Christmas '96... And about a year after I got it, pirated games were everywhere for a quid so none felt as special. My favourite gaming memories are probably the first two Resident Evils, but my interest in gaming waned in the PS1 era and never recovered. I remember getting Dino Crisis and Silent Hill at the same time and playing them both about once. Never ever played Resident Evil 3.

PS2 was a total impulse buy, and I lost it about a year after I got it. X-Box 360 I got because I wanted to buy something big when a student loan instalment went in. I switch it on about twice a year. The Wii I got because of the Christmas '07 chaos over them. Played it a few times when I first got it, then had a phase of playing Mario Kart when that came out, then last year I had a week or so of playing Mario Galaxy (which I'd bought when I got my Wii but never played even once for the first three years of owning it) for a couple of hours a day. Nothing since. I can't remember why I got a PS3, I think it was because I wanted to play Smackdown vs Raw 2010 online and I was worried my modded X-Box would be banned and the

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Without taking nostalgia into account I'd say that's a very accurate list. I didn't ever own the SNES or N64 ones, and the Gamecube one was the only one I ever played as a kid all the time.

The 2 player battle mode on the SNES version alone makes it top of the list. Simplistic it may be, but you can have some amazing duels on that that can last for ages if you have two really good players playing.

That said, I do like Double Dash a lot more than most.

No version of the game since the SNES has better the Battle Mode. That was what it was all about when I was a kid, that and slicing hundredths of seconds off the time trials.

It's not nostalgia either - I played the SNES version recently and it was the dog's bollocks still. The DS was practically identical but with a slightly improved handling and control system and some extra tracks.

I remember the 64 version being all cocked up, and Double Dash wasn't much cop either. Even though the Wii version is really, really different, they succeeded in making it a huge amount of fun as a 4 player game, and that's what it's all about really.

Mario Kart- Sequence

Snes, GBA, Gamecube, N64, out of the ones I can remember playing

Triple A, its not just a case of being newer and better. The N64 handling is well spongey and it's criminally too easy. I'd not even played an N64 when I first played the N64 version and was thrashing around like no ones business on the higher CC's

At least the older versions present a challenge, and in terms of the newer ones, do'nt need the bastard Blue Shells to equalise things up. So the graphics arent up to much, considering Mario Kart is what 20/21 years old. I wouldnt expect them to be top end. It's the playability that counts and in this case, some of the newer ones are missing out.

I loved my Dreamcast as I'm a big arcade whore but I find very few people to share that love with :(

Dreamcast was an underated system, it had great games like r2r boxing, shemue, Dynamite Cop, metroplis racer, wwf royal rumble & Fire Pro Wrestling D. I had some serious fun with that console however I was more for my ps1 but still the dreamcast was great and mainly for the arcade games. :cool:

• Paid Members
No version of the game since the SNES has better the Battle Mode. That was what it was all about when I was a kid, that and slicing hundredths of seconds off the time trials.

Yeah, I spent far more time on the time trials than anything else on that game. Amazing how they never got dull. I was never happy on Bowser's Castle 2, though, if you were going so fast with Bowser or Donkey Kong that when you hit those lava jumps that it actually took you over the next jump and into the lava.

The satisfaction of laying a trap with a long line of green shells and bananas on battle mode and watching somebody twat into them was fantastic.

I loved my Dreamcast as I'm a big arcade whore but I find very few people to share that love with :(

I forgot I even had a Dreamcast. I think I sold it six months or eighteen months after I got it. My only notable Dreamcast experiences were looking up the WrestleMania 2000 results at five past four because I'd fallen asleep and just missed the whole show, and trying to play Chu Chu Rocket but not having a clue what was going on and resetting it whenever I was about to lose. Oh, and the crippling disappointment of the Royal Rumble game. Which I had a pirate copy of, because the Dreamcast was the most easily-pirated console ever. All you had to do was put that Reindeer CD in. But the Dreamcast discs had bigger capacities than standard CD-Rs, didn't they? I remember my version of Resident Evil: Code Veronica had no FMVs or no voice audio or something.

• Paid Members

I'd say the N64 as it got the most game time out of me, but its probably not fair as I only ever used to play Revenge, W2000 and No Mercy. After that it would be the original PS, on which I also played Street Fighter games and Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

So, for sheer variety of the games that kept me glued to it, I'm going Super NES. Mario Kart/World/Allstars, the Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat games, Turtles In Time, Link To The Past and Sim City were all incredible, and I gave Super R-Type and Goof Troop a going over too.

• Paid Members

PS1 for me. The Mega Drive was my first console, but I think I was just too young to appreciate/remember most of it. Whereas the PS1 kind of grew up with me. Some of the memories are magical, I went from sitting behind my dad watching him play RE2 and ocassionally helping with puzzles to completing it myself in half the time he did. The years I spent paying my dues getting pumped by him on Fifa/ISS/Three Lions were all worth it by the time ISS turned into Pro Evo, I could let him go Brazil and I'd still hump him with the UAE, and humble him so bad that he retired from gaming completely!

The catalogue of games for it was incredible, even now. MGS/Resident Evil/Syphon Filter/Silent Hill/Dino Crisis/WCW VS THE WORLD! I spent countless hours on them all. My console was pussy-chipped as well (with the cartridge and spring) so I'd go to the car-boot sale and come back with loads of games nearly every week that I'd never have tried otherwise. Obscure shit like Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster and Chase The Express turned out to be great!

The PS2 was pretty great as well, mind.

Nostalgia wise it has to be the Amiga for me, while everyone else had a console with a maximum of 3 games due to them costing insane ammounts a pop i was picking and choosing from boxes full of sometimes much superior titles that cost almost nothing. (I knew nothing of piracy like i do today, remember that)

Games like Grand Monster Slam, Monkey Island, The Settlers, Alien Breed, Dune 2 and Zak McKracken were untouchable around that time. and while the consoles may have had Mario and Sonic i had Super Frog and fucking Dizzy the Egg...although i must admit that fighters generally blew on the old A500.

Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart 64.

Massively overlooked game was DKR, it was fucking brilliant.

Good man. Loved DKR I was ALWAYS TipTup. Also deserving of a mention is Mickeys Speedway USA also on N64. it was quality.

but on topic, i would say my favourite console was probably the Gamecube. It was my first console, as the SNES and N64 were property of my brother, and obviously we shared and played all the time, but the GC was mine, I'd saved up pocket money, worked for my dad and i thought i'd get one a few months after it was released, but I came home from school one day to find my parents had bought me one as a surprise. Many awesome games, a few days lost when i played Wind Waker the first time, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, Burnout, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime and many many others. I loved it. I also had the much superior looking black version.

Probably the GBA actually. Can't count the amount of hours lost in my youth to playing F-Zero, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Super Mario World, Wario Land 4, Yoshi's Island, Mario Tennis, Tony Hawk's, Golden Sun etc.

I know a lot of those are ports, but they lend brilliantly to a handheld system. Plus you had all the trading with link cables, and the backwards compatibility that allowed you to enjoy tons of GBC and GB games.

Runner up would be the Snes, first console I ever owned and I played the hell out of it, even the cheap games you picked up at car boots in between birthdays when you could get the expensive titles were awesome, hidden classics like Street Racer, Striker and Rock and Roll Racing have very fond memories. Not sure if they'd hold up too well today though.

Archived