Your Fav Video Games console EVER

goldeneye86

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tough topic this.

I got a lot of hours out of my PS1, but thinking back, the number of games I played on it was pretty low. Smackdown!2 got some heavy useage. Likewise the N64 with Goldeneye and the WCW games.

Being very much a multiplayer kind of guy, I loved the N64 with it's games tailored toward 4 players, and then the X-Box afterwards. Add in the X-Boxes superb graphics and sound, the overhaul of the FPS in Halo, and compilations like the Bally Midway Collection, and it's a contender.

Whilst never much of a handheld player, the DS is brilliant. So much versatility, and wireless 8 player multiplayer games.

And the Mariokart order is

SNES, DS, N64, Double Dash, GBA, Wii.

I've never played the GBA version, but the Wii version is just awful. As N64 was mostly played in battle mode, it makes no odds if the grand prix was too easy.

• Paid Members

Nah, Double Dragon on the Master System was a piece of piss. The 32X version is supposed to be great.

Wonderboy in Monsterland is still probably my favourite Master System game, and its version of R-Type was pretty good.

• Paid Members

I think it's easy to get lost in nostalgia when trying to pick something like this, I've loved every system I had, from the ZX Spectrum, through the C64, Amiga600, NES, Mega Drive, Mega CD, SNES, PS1 and PS2 but I think in terms of how much I've played it, how many great games I've killed months of my life on, and it's increased usefulness in also being essentially a free Sky Sports playing machine, I have to go with my Xbox 360. Just so many amazing games, Oblivion and Skyrim, Rock Band, Red Dead Redemption, GTA4, Arkham Asylum / City, the last few iterations of FIFA, Fallout 3, amazing arcade titles like Braid, Castle Crashers and A Kingdom for Keflings too....

A lot of this topic is making me hope Nintendo get their shit together with Wii U and give me a damn good back catalogue.

The Wii U controller looks and feels fantastic, and the console has plenty of grunt. It's an exciting piece of kit, but my main worry is with Nintendo themselves.

We're getting 2 very different messages out of Nintendo. Nintendo US want the console to be a competitor for serious gaming, ala Xbox and Playstation. So there are quite a few features and specs for the kit that tend towards that. However, Nintendo Japan seem to be more concerned with iterating on the "innovation" (i.e quirkiness) of the Wii. There's essentially a fight for the soul of the console, still going on whilst the first games are developed for it.

If all Nintendo want to do is put out a new Mario Kart, a new Super Mario, a new Zelda, a new Metroid, then I'm not interested. I have played those characters, those tropes to death on half a dozen different platforms. I want Nintendo to start creating wonderful new franchises and ideas, and also apply some of their incredible design ethic to genres like FPS or racing. I want them to step out of their creative comfort zone and amaze me.

At the moment it feels like where we were when I first got my hands on the Wii prototype kit - I played an early version of Wii Tennis, and thought "this is going to change everything". Except it didn't, as really that was the peak of Wii creativity.

• Paid Members

Not a console but my Amiga 500 is the best and most used games machine I've ever had. Tons and tons of games, all different genres. Games easy to get hold of, easy to copy and cheap enough to buy. the best games were easily up there with anything on a Snes or Megadrive.

PS1 was probably the best console. Phenomenal array of games and the big take off in piracy around that time meant you could own tons of them. Very fond of the N64 too, I still have mine.

• Paid Members
Sega Master System for me. Outrun, Alex Kidd, Sonic 1 and Double Dragon are amongst the greatest achievements of mankind.

The best game on the Master System was Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap. Hands down.

Archived