NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Loving what they are doing with Bull, it's actually given him some character and hopefully they can do some hilarious training videos trying to do a sit up or eating salad before eventually killing Baron Corbin in a few seconds.

Oh and Joe still has the shittest music in the world.

The Balor vignette was going great until they basically had him say "yeah, it's just paint that makes me feel good." So it's no otherworldly creature or dark side of himself. He's just a rassler who looks different. After all the good work of the first two parts, I think they wrecked a ton of interesting and fun angles, and cut a load of potential for character depth they'd built up over two weeks. And although it was fascinating seeing how much they help guys develop in NXT, it was one more peek behind the curtain that spoils the illusion for me. Now I won't be able to watch Balor's entrance without imagining HHH telling him what to do. Shame.

• Paid Members

You have to separate those backstage bits from what goes on in front of the curtain. I mean, last week's Balor mini-doc had Mojo Rawley in it and he WASN'T HYPED? I mean, ow unrealistic is that???

• Paid Members

Seriously, though, I know we all know it's pretend, but I miss the days when it wasn't made so bloody obvious..

It's better than pretending it's all super-real and not fake at all. I don't mind them acknowledging it's a show. If it starts stifling the "It's fake!" troupe because they're there saying "Yeah, and?" then that's fine with me.

Every one knows movies are fake but no one stands outside Odeon screaming, "It's fake!"

Good place as any to post this then...

The other day I met an old man at a stag do, and he was talking about wrestling (I know..) he used to watch in Walthamstow back in the olden days and he was going on about how he once saw a show where one wrestler hit another one with a spanner or something, and at the time he was outraged at this wrestler.  Then the person next to me says "someone hit someone with a spanner?  but I thought it was all fake!"  I just thought, what do you think it being fake involves?   Them just standing next to each other?   I thought explaining to him that the spanner attack was most likely fake to someone who already knows that it's fake would be too confusing for him.

The same kind of person who probably says something like "(70 year old wrestler who retired 25 years ago died)?  but i thought it was all fake"

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members

Seriously, though, I know we all know it's pretend, but I miss the days when it wasn't made so bloody obvious..

It's better than pretending it's all super-real and not fake at all. I don't mind them acknowledging it's a show. 

True but half way through Terminator they don't cut to a behind the scenes clip of Arnie putting the robot make-up on. Bad example I know but if they show the backstage real life stuff it at least needs to fit the character he presents on the same show. A Network special is a different deal but it's a bit rubbish when the commentators are saying the demon paint is Balor's dark side but then showing a clip of him liking it because of how arty farty it is. I'm all for more documentary type stuff that reveals more of the guys personalities but if it's going to be aired within the main programming it needs to align up to it.

On top of that as Scott Malbranque said above it doesn't really help matters when Finn Balor's pretty much non-existent character barely makes sense anyway.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

It's better than pretending it's all super-real and not fake at all. I don't mind them acknowledging it's a show. 

True but half way through Terminator they don't cut to a behind the scenes clip of Arnie putting the robot make-up on. Bad example I know but if they show the backstage real life stuff it at least needs to fit the character he presents on the same show. A Network special is a different deal but it's a bit rubbish when the commentators are saying the demon paint is Balor's dark side but then showing a clip of him liking it because of how arty farty it is. I'm all for more documentary type stuff that reveals more of the guys personalities but if it's going to be aired within the main programming it needs to align up to it.

On top of that as Scott Malbranque said above it doesn't really help matters when Finn Balor's pretty much non-existent character barely makes sense anyway.

As much as it pains me to say it, I find wrestling more like say, X Factor, than a movie. You have people doing real-life performances, interspersed with showreels and video packages to flesh out their character, but at the end of the day it’s some producer-type mooks that dictate what direction the competition goes in. Pseudo-reality.

Bull Dempsey as a fatty is arguably the best use of a wrestler they've had in terms of who they actually are. If they end it with him hitting rock bottom, then a load of training montages where he legit gets into shape, he could be the best babyface in the world ever.

Weirdly enough there's a wrestler in Melbourne, Mr. Juicy, who went from comedy fatty, to super fit serious competitor in a 12 month space and he's over like rover. Even made it into the PWI 500 last year. 

Fabulous little story to follow, though I'm concerned Dempsey might lack the persona to pull it off. Could be wrong though.

Just announced, NXT:Takerover - Brooklyn August 22nd from The Barclays Centre Live on the WWE Network

https://mobile.twitter.com/TripleH/status/617000053643853824

The Superstars and Divas of Tomorrow have set the wrestling world on fire with the NXT TakeOver live specials on WWE Network, which have all emanated from Full Sail University in Florida — until now. As announced by WWE COO Triple H, on Saturday, Aug. 22, NXT will invade the Barclays Center on the eve of The Biggest Party of The Summer for the seventh NXT live special.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Just announced, NXT:Takerover - Brooklyn August 22nd from The Barclays Centre Live on the WWE Network

https://mobile.twitter.com/TripleH/status/617000053643853824

The Superstars and Divas of Tomorrow have set the wrestling world on fire with the NXT TakeOver live specials on WWE Network, which have all emanated from Full Sail University in Florida — until now. As announced by WWE COO Triple H, on Saturday, Aug. 22, NXT will invade the Barclays Center on the eve of The Biggest Party of The Summer for the seventh NXT live special.

Same night as the ROH Field of Honor show in Brooklyn featuring New Japan lads.

That's the same arena they're using for SummerSlam the next night isn't it? Don't think there's another room in there so be interesting to see what the setup is or maybe they think they can sell 15K tickets. 

Would make sense for ROH to move their show to the afternoon I would have thought.

That's the same arena they're using for SummerSlam the next night isn't it? Don't think there's another room in there so be interesting to see what the setup is or maybe they think they can sell 15K tickets. 

Would make sense for ROH to move their show to the afternoon I would have thought.

ROH have done this before - I was in NYC back in 2011 and when WWE announced a house show at MSG, ROH pushed their show that they had on the same day back to the afternoon so that fans could see both.