NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who watch NXT who have never watched any indie wrestling. No idea what the viewing figures are compared to the likes of ROH, Impact, or any of the "proper" indies, but I'd wager a large percentage of the NXT audience don't necessarily know who every indie name on the show is before they debut.

What compounds it, though, is that when they get called up to the main roster it's generally, "Hey, it's that guy from NXT!". So if they already haven't had the character development and introduction they needed in NXT, it's even worse when they make the jump. Hence EC3 being nothing more than room meat now.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, PunkStep said:

We're the ones posting in a wrestling forum, like it's still 2003! Original smart marks!

We're all WWE cock-suckers though, remember?

34 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who watch NXT who have never watched any indie wrestling. No idea what the viewing figures are compared to the likes of ROH, Impact, or any of the "proper" indies, but I'd wager a large percentage of the NXT audience don't necessarily know who every indie name on the show is before they debut.

What compounds it, though, is that when they get called up to the main roster it's generally, "Hey, it's that guy from NXT!". So if they already haven't had the character development and introduction they needed in NXT, it's even worse when they make the jump. Hence EC3 being nothing more than room meat now.

I think that's the issue. A big portion of the NXT crowds know these people already either having seen or heard about them. The assumption that anyone who watches WWE will have seen them before or in NXT is ridiculous especially given the worldwide audience. That said though, the last couple of weeks they have done a decent job of making NXT itself seem a big deal by bringing in Black and Ricochet and having them beat everyone and showcase outstanding, charismatic work. They did produce little videos to introduce them, plus Ciampa and Gargano, but just the presentation of them as two guys who are already better than the Revival and Sheamus and Cesaro has been very simple and effective at making NXT stand out as well as these guys. But hey, wins and losses don't matter right?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Have they ever even mentioned that on TV? Must have missed it if so. Still doesn’t make any sense for informing her wrestling but at least it’s an explanation!

After they explained it, JR called her a Yachtswoman and a yachting enthusiast in most episodes. Then he called her pirate. He never sounded happy calling her any of those things. Maybe because she wasn’t a farmer or someone who killed dogs.     

Edited by TheBurningRed

54 minutes ago, JLM said:

The insane elbow should surely have some kind of anchor dropping reference though.

Her Bridging Boston crab is called the Anchor.

She used to call her elbow finisher The Seven Seas in Stardom but that got changed as soon as she signed.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

After they explained it, JR called her a Yachtswoman and a yachting enthusiast in most episodes. Then he called her pirate. He never sounded happy calling her any of those things. Maybe because she wasn’t a farmer or someone who killed dogs.     

I'm trying to find a soundbyte of what he actually called her, because he stumbled like fuck when he was talking about Kairi's yachting and he sounded like a right tit.

"She boatie, yachtsman" or something equally as nonsensical.

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I'm trying to find a soundbyte of what he actually called her, because he stumbled like fuck when he was talking about Kairi's yachting and he sounded like a right tit.

"She boatie, yachtsman" or something equally as nonsensical.

It was "she yachtsman".

On 8/29/2017 at 9:46 PM, Tamura said:

For those that may be wondering about Kairi's ring attire, she's a yachtsperson, she yachtsman, she likes boating

Edited by Tamura

• Paid Members

Couple of things on last week's show, that sell through the ropes from O'Reilly (or Fish) from Black's kick was incredible. What a guy.

Loved Ciampa watching from the box. Remember they used to do that all the time? Like Tyson watching "Cold Stone" or the WCW guys at Mania 17. Can't recall the last time I saw it.

I love Dream but his DVD sucks.

• Paid Members

The more I see of the Dream, the more I'm going to dread his main roster call-up, where he'll be forever restricted and will be on The Fashion Files within two months. His promo with the Undisputed Era this week was so bloody effortless. He's WWE's answer to the gaping hole that The Rock left and we're all going to be rightly devastated when he's trading wins with the lower ranks and doing awful comedy sketches.

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

The more I see of the Dream, the more I'm going to dread his main roster call-up, where he'll be forever restricted and will be on The Fashion Files within two months. His promo with the Undisputed Era this week was so bloody effortless. He's WWE's answer to the gaping hole that The Rock left and we're all going to be rightly devastated when he's trading wins with the lower ranks and doing awful comedy sketches.

Stop being an actual wrestling fan

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Totally agree. Hope they save him for a really special and memorable debut. 

The way they've brought up Black, Ricochet, Ciampa and Gargano is so disappointing. Their talent should take them through eventually but such a lacklustre start has them pissing against the wind straight away.