NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Fuck all them jabronis, they've gone ahead and signed 3.0!! Yes! That's a wonderful bit of news.

Fuck, I'd not spotted that. Have been ploughing through old Chikara on Amazon and they are a real highlight, great news!

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's a wonderful underdog story! They were destined to forever be local indy legends but they've obviously impressed some top brass in order to secure a spot (and I'm sure the good word of Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens helped too considering they all cut their teeth together in the same scene).

I think more people might recognise them though as the jobber tag team who faced The Revival a couple of years back, and they got over with the crowd with their chants of "Defence! Defence! Defence!".

• Paid Members

3.0 have had a ton of cameos as jobbers, security, EMTs, just about everything they can manage. Apparently they travel with Kevin Owens whenever the WWE are up in Canada, and he kept getting them gigs.

There was a point when I would honestly say they were the most consistently great tag team in American wrestling, so I'm hoping they can make it in WWE. Top lads!

I watched last week's NXT - how come every time it feels like they've straightened out the Gargano/Ciampa storyline and it might be going somewhere, they just absolutely fuck it? How can you go from Ciampa and Gargano ending Takeover stood side-by-side, after Gargano's match being built around him becoming more of a Ciampa-esque heel, and then have him trot out to open the TV show cutting a pandering babyface promo about how he did it "with your support" and thanking the Full Sail wankers for calling him "Johnny Champion"? Between the character inconsistency, inability to follow up on a great performance, and now bragging about "putting on another match of the year" (at the beginning of February, no less), is Gargano completing his transformation into NXT's Dolph Ziggler?

The Forgotten Sons are absolute shite.

I saw a lot of hype about Eric Bugenhagen being this organically over fun character, but he's just as forced comedy as any other WWE act, surely? He was fine, but he was being hyped up to me as this hilarious new act, when the highlight was Gulak being disgusted by him. Speaking of which, Gulak/Riddle was an absolute belter, and I hope we get more of that. As much as it was all about setting up Riddle as a future star, it's the kind of match that you'd hope would make someone sit up and notice what they've got with Drew as well.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I saw a lot of hype about Eric Bugenhagen being this organically over fun character, but he's just as forced comedy as any other WWE act, surely? He was fine, but he was being hyped up to me as this hilarious new act, when the highlight was Gulak being disgusted by him.

Absolutely. I was expecting something along the lines of Brodus Clay's Funkasaurus debut or when Leo Kruger was first repackagaed as Adam Rose. It was ok, but nothing more.

It did prompt me to re-visit Adam Rose's NXT debut though. Man, that was fucking great. They really ballsed that one up. Not that you could probably get much shelf life out of it, but they still fucked it up all the same. "You're being boring and this is a party!"

• Paid Members

The Adam Rose debut vignette was a tremendous piece of work, the best bit about it being how Devin Taylor (❤) completely gets caught up in the party and signs off her report "Choo Choo!"

The actual debut was cool too, then they had to change the music...

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure I said this on here at the time, but the thing that really amazed me was that they used an edited version of the 'real' song, removing the first verse & looping the singalong/WHOO! bit. When they made their own rip-off, they did the total opposite, so that it took forever to reach the fun bit.

I know it’s still early days and all, but Dijakovic isn’t doing much for me. He’s a massive guy, yet he’s getting chucked around by Shane Thorne. Having said that, I enjoyed his springboard twisting axehandle thing, just needed to get more impact. After seeing that, just go full Mike Awesome with the guy and stick him in their with smaller guys, which looking at him is probably most people, and have him hit every power move imaginable.

If that's Ohno's swan song, then the guy went out on his shield, fair play.  That's also the most charismatic I've seen Keith Lee, bar the singing.

It's just a great hour of telly, isn't it?  They pack a lot in and manage to avoid the sort of shit that regularly infects the main shows.  No backstage vignettes apart from pre tapes.  There was a nice flow with people coming out to interrupt other matches, made the whole thing feel live.

Ricochet v Cole was great - Ricochet is much better imo when he has to sell properly for someone like Cole.  Surprised Cole is taking clean pins but then that seems to be the thing with the North American title, and NXT generally to be fair.

Aliyah has been in development for 4 years now, and I'm not sure she's getting any better.  Her and Borne have been off tv for a year, but don't feel like they've refreshed their act.

I dunno if it's on YouTube, but the suplex that Montez Ford gave Carlito looking fella - devastating.

I've said elsewhere that just from that cameo in the tag match it looks like they've got a diamond with Stacey Ervin Jr. He sells like a maniac in that match, he's got a great look and that moonsault was ridiculous.

Also because WWE like to court mainstream stars, it won't hurt that his girlfriend is Simone Byles.