NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Awards Moderator

I felt the opposite on almost everything there @Loki, with the exception of the Forgotten Sons who I’d already forgotten had been on.

Riddle grows on me each time I see him, week by week I’m becoming a fan. I can see him in the RVD role on the main roster. Punishment Martinez didn’t impress me very much at all, reminded me of NXT era Baron Corbin if I’m honest.

I thought Kai-Baszler was great, it played on and called back to their previous matches really well. I love how much I hate Baszler, everything she does in her matches just looks nasty.

I enjoyed the closing segment too, I’m interested in what happens to all three of the guys, I don’t mind Black’s talking at all (though I agree him smashing people in a rage is much better) and I like the idea of Ciampa pulling Gargano’s strings so that even Johnny’s heel turn wasn’t his own choice, it was just what Ciampa had driven him to.

• Paid Members

Ciampa was absolute gold in that segment. Such a weasel trying to get out of the Championship match with Black, all the while smirking while Gargano falls for the oldest trick in the book. It still amazes me how Black throws the Black Mass kick with sheer precision that it makes the kick look absolutely devastating. 

Riddle gets better each week for me. That 'chop' to Martinez' chest while he was running towards him sounded tremendous. 

Ohno's hair is terrible. Like a returning HBK in 2002, minus the brown undies and charisma. 

• Paid Members

I’ve not seen the show for a few weeks but I’ve absolutely no problem with Punishment Martinez losing to Matt Riddle. I love Riddle, whereas I’ve never ever seen anything in Martinez. He’s their worst signing in ages.

11 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’ve not seen the show for a few weeks but I’ve absolutely no problem with Punishment Martinez losing to Matt Riddle. I love Riddle, whereas I’ve never ever seen anything in Martinez. He’s their worst signing in ages.

My system is... I don't care what people did before they get to NXT/WWE.  I base my opinion strictly on what they actually do on the programming I watch.  You can never really tell who's going to shine on the big stage, and who isn't.

So Matt Riddle could have been the best thing ever on the Indies, but personally I find him annoying and awkward looking.  And Martinez might be the shittest wrestler in the history of ROH but I thought he looked interesting and had potential during his debut.

I'm also very happy to revise my opinion as they progress through development.  Some people really improve a LOT during their time in NXT.  What works in one promotion doesn't necessarily work in WWE, you have to learn and adapt, and also hit that world-class Performance Centre gym (coughOHNOcough).

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

My system is... I don't care what people did before they get to NXT/WWE.  I base my opinion strictly on what they actually do on the programming I watch.  You can never really tell who's going to shine on the big stage, and who isn't.

So Matt Riddle could have been the best thing ever on the Indies, but personally I find him annoying and awkward looking.  And Martinez might be the shittest wrestler in the history of ROH but I thought he looked interesting and had potential during his debut.

I'm also very happy to revise my opinion as they progress through development.  Some people really improve a LOT during their time in NXT.  What works in one promotion doesn't necessarily work in WWE, you have to learn and adapt, and also hit that world-class Performance Centre gym (coughOHNOcough).

I'm the same, I judge only on what I watch (the last ROH show I watched in full might have been the one where the Age Of The Fall debuted... 10 years ago maybe?) but I still like Riddle, and wasn't impressed by Martinez. 

You're right though, NXT does revise my opinion as well. Undisputed Era for example, I couldn't care a jot about at the start, whether they were big indy stars or not. Now they're one of my favourite acts on the show. Even Kyle O'Reilly, which I never would have expected a year and a half ago. Still waiting for that revision to happen with Keith Lee, though. I don't know what it is about him (maybe it's that 'unfazed' expression he has the entire time which never makes me think he, as a babyface, is in peril) but NXT hasn't clicked with him yet. For Riddle, I think it has, but it took that Takeover segment to do it for me.

Martinez to me is probably going to be best suited in that Big Cass role- big guy tagging with a smaller guy and he can be the hot tag. He's got a good look, can be ok on the mic but the only time I saw him live he looked like he was trying to cosplay Roman Reigns.

• Paid Members

Punishment Martinez’s mean face is hilarious. He looks like a cartoonish parody of a heel wrestler and yeah, totally agree he gave off Baron Corbin vibes. Also it’s funny that people have to call him Punishment as if that’s his real first name.

Forgotten Sons are dogshit. I love Mendoza and Carrillo as a jobber tag team. Mendoza was already one of my favourite jobbers ever and the tandem only sweetens the deal. They both look passable enough as wrestlers and have decent gear but rarely outshine their opponent's look, they can deliver really exciting hope spots and put on a great 5 minute TV match and they're both great at being swatted/splatted by their opponents when they tire of all the flippidy dipping. They're also very clean and crisp in what they do. They seem like solid hands despite doing a lot of fairly risky stuff.  I think they are perfect for the role they’ve been given and their only fault in this outing was perhaps having the heat for a bit too long and making the Forgotten Sons look like even bigger turds by comparison. 

I enjoyed the closing segment quite a bit but agree they should have Aleister talk way more sparingly. Ciampa was thoroughly entertaining. Totally echo Supremo's sentiment about Gargano too. I still think it was madness to turn him but he's doing a much better job with it than I'd anticipated.  

Dream is wonderful. Shayna is as well. 

I enjoy Riddle but yeah his presentation so far smacks of WWE latching onto one or two aspects of what does way too hard and diluting the appeal of it. I think Ohno jumping him will be a good opportunity for them to emphasise the "he's a pretty chill guy but don't push it m8" aspect of the character.

Oh, and I love Undisputed Era as well. I think one of the most magical things about the group is that they've turned Roddy being a terrible promo into an asset for him. Him dropping "sick burns" and generally sounding like a lemon is in keeping with his new persona and it totally works. It's Heyman-esque weakness coverage and I approve of this. He's like the snivelling little Richard Hammond figure of the group when they do theiir promos.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

I like Riddle. It's very early for him but his look stands out. He shows good speed and aggression in his work and its easy to buy into. It'll be interesting to see how he works in a feud and how he gets across in promos but it's been a solid start for him.

Martinez has a hokey look. It genuinely looked like someone had flicked over from NXT to TNA when his entrance came on. The Baron Corbin comparison is seriously harsh though. He looks a billion times better than that boring cunt. The match was clunky in places, which I put down to Martinez. Can't judge until Riddle works with a pro like Ohno though.

What a kick at the end. Great sell by Ciampa. Looked ace.

Our kid set me a pic from a house show last night. He's over in Wisconsin at the moment. Generally pretty jealous although he did attend that horrendous Raw last week so...

image.thumb.png.5027172943e5a4699e09b864ad072b58.png

The ‘bro’ thing is a bit Zack Ryder but I’m sure that’ll be phased back, otherwise Riddle looks fantastic. Riddle vs Joe, or vs Bryan already sound salivating.

Why aren’t the other two horsewoman working matches yet? Who the hell are they supposed to be anyway? They’re spare parts out there, Baszler  doesn’t need them.

Ciampa was hilarious pulling strings at the end but I still don’t get Aleister Black. He looks and talks like a shitarse and has one of the worst names in the business. He’s a bit Corey Graves. Kick looked fucking sweet though.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Good episode this week, good matches and surprises both.

First surprise was Heavy Machinery both sporting the British Bulldog Denim look.  What the - ?  If any two guys need to wear tops, it's those two.  Awful ring gear choice aside, nice to see them get a run at the titles.

EC3 is back, and honestly looked like he had a touch of ring rust, but still had a fun match.  I'm guessing he's slotting back in at the top of NXT, otherwise for God's sake send him up to Raw.  

Second surprise was Tyler Breeze.  It makes you realise how much better booked NXT is generally that a guy who's been bottom feeding in Smackdown for a few years can pop up, be treated like a genuine star, have a great match and still look good in defeat.  Fandango I think has achieved as much as you could expect, but Tyler was always a disappointment for me that he was relegated to comedy jobber crew.

Speaking of late-period British Bulldog, has Nick Miller of The Mighty been on the juice?  He's definitely looking bigger.  Happy to see Lorcan/Burch getting sustained momentum, they are a really fun team to watch.

Mia Yim had an odd qualification match with some huge lady I've not seen before. I do like the random people that pop up in NXT, it makes it feel (as indeed it is) like part of a larger wrestling world.

Cage match next week between Black and Gargano to round off the year.