NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Gargano/Black was MOTN for me with Ciampa/Dream a very close second.

War Games was decent but the format makes it a strange one to book and keep hot compared to normal matches. Was most impressed with War Raiders as I had a fairly low opinion of them before.

The Women's match was fine. I wondered when Kairi would finally have friends that cared enough to come out for her.

17 minutes ago, Louch said:

haven’t seen him in NXT, but riddle is in superb shape, casual as you like, but hard as fuck. Why the hate? 

I haven’t seen much of him, but I find him a bit cringey and quite irritating. The king of bro’s schtick is crap.

I like his in-ring work from what I’ve seen of it though.

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members

I only realized today, for the entire two years I loved Riddle during his BritWres appearances and considered him hugely likable, I never actually heard him cut a promo. Hmm. Bell to bell he's great and I hope wrestling him shames Ohno into taking care of himself. He wasn't slim when he went back but the fact he's become fatter still is ridiculous.

The show was excellent. Gargano vs Black was superb in all the ways that matches from outside WWE are but with great storytelling elements and things that they can tie in to the stories they've told over the year. It may eclipse Black vs Almas as my favourite NXT match of the year. Ciampa vs Dream wasn't going to live up to it but the finish was superbly put together and really fooled me. War Games was pretty good although I'll never be happy with pinfalls being allowed for the finish and I'm not all there for the established unit losing to the thrown-together babyface team. But it was fun, and the whole show was very worthwhile.

• Paid Members

Never seen Riddle outside of NXT, but I think he’s brilliant. Not quite sure what his gimmick actually is, I’m guessing he’s just ‘a laid back dude who’s hard as nails’? I like him, he’s definitely made a better impression than Keith Lee.

Shayna is just tremendous, isn’t she? Carries herself like a real heel and isn’t playing it up to be cool. She’s everything Ronda should have been.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Shayna is just tremendous, isn’t she? Carries herself like a real heel and isn’t playing it up to be cool. She’s everything Ronda should have been.

They were never going to present Rousey as a heel during her arrival in the company. They want to shift her merch, get her on the ESPN sports websites etc and garner as much mainstream attention as possible. She's done well in the role and up until feuding with Becky, crowds have been largely partisan towards her. I think they may go with a turn for her eventually and there are times where they could have booked Ronda better, but it's nothing to do with the face/heel dynamic. 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Shayna is just tremendous, isn’t she? Carries herself like a real heel and isn’t playing it up to be cool. 

Oh everything about her is unlikeable [in a good way]. She is smug, she cheats, she enjoys torturing her opponents. You just want to see someone - anyone! - kick her face in.
Kairi has been a perfect foil for her as she is so frickin nice.

Interested to see Shafir and Duke in the ring. Having them work with Kairi and Io in particular should do wonders for their development. 

I've always enjoyed heels in NXT more than the main roster and Shayna is great. Nothing likeable about her whatsoever. We're so used to having tweeners in this day and age that it's refreshing to have people you can actually hate. Sure the crowds can be shits occasionally when it comes to changing but Shayna seems to get the right reactions. A good mix of her character work, in ring style and the booking.

• Paid Members

Another great TakeOver event. Dream/Ciampa and Black/Gargano are hard to split for match of the night. I think the body of the match for Gargano Vs Black was better, but Dream and Ciampa had me much more invested down the closing stretch. When Dream dropped that elbow on Ciampa I lost my mind. Then that dirty git Ciampa managed to get the win in the end, sticking a pin in my balloon. Ballbag. 

War Games was a really fun, exciting brawl with lots of big spots. It's a totally different style of match from the War Games of the 80's and 90's, and as long as you accept that, then you can enjoy how good this is as something that fits in this time and place. 

Three top quality matches, and Riddle with a nice spot to shine opening the show. This show will kick the dingleberries off of Survivor Series won't it? 

Edited by WeeAl

6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

First time I'd seen Matt Riddle and although I'm amused to see him squash Fattius Ohno, he came across as a right fucking pillock.

I have a mate who goes to Progress, Rev Pro and watches a lot of US indies so is a big Matt Riddle fan; he seems to think he's a natural babyface and I've heard that from others also. I assume a lot of context is needed to really like him, but yeah, the quote above? That's how he's always come across to me. My general feeling would be that on the main roster he'd work far better as a douche heel, but in NXT they'll just love him for being him.