NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

24 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I dont love the bro stuff but Riddles great. Never seen his opponent Luke Menzies before, with his size he’d be a good addition to uk NXT.

Luke’s only been on TV once, but he seems to have become a regular on the local Florida shows. He’s a former Rugby League player, although he was very injuryprone which could be an issue, but I hope it works out for him. He’s still very new to wrestling, only had his first match just over a year ago

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

A three minute squash should impress people, though.

Not sure I agree. if you're a big dude then it should. Chucking around a job guy, throwing in your power moves and hitting a big finish is a bundle of fun. When its someone of average size though, I don't think there's much it does for them. Ever see Shawn Michaels in a squash back in the early 90s and think "Wow!"? Just didn't happen. Not against them giving anyone a run of wins over nomarks to make them stand out but don't expect to be wowed by it. He's not Sid.

Edited by tiger_rick

14 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'd argue that the entire purpose of a squash match is to make the winner look impressive.

Valid argument of course, Rick has explained it better in the above post then I would.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Good to see Mercedes getting a run out. All these years after WCW and ECW collapsed, you've got a generation of wrestlers out there with experience and poise that haven't been exposed to fuck, who you can get in and have a look at. Little things like Martinez not being bothered in the slightest by Cross being odd, I liked, because she's seen it all. Like the realism of Candice being narked at Nikki for being a snitch without (yet) full blown turning her too.

Ford's springboard frog splash was awesome. If Rollins can do that, he needs to win the U belt at Mania with it.

Ally telling Regal that Gargano's future will Fade To Black reminded me that it would have been a much better name for a finish than Black Mass. You know.... blacking out? KO? It's a kick?

Those two lads that lost to Burch and his mate looked a bit spicy. They could get proper over at Full Sail. Before dumped on 205 and forgotten. Burch and the other one look like idiots stomping to the ring but the matches are fine.

Riddle debut did what it was meant to. Hope he doesn't have to sell too much for Ohno.

Loved War Raiders (ugh) attacking Era (ugh) while they were casually cutting a studio promo. Like... that's what I'd expect men paid to fight to do when given an opportunity to get at guys that had wronged or cheap shot them. War Games confirmation was expected but still popped me.... proper 4v4, none of that War Games 98 trios nonsense.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

I can’t understand why they stopped debuting new people at Takeover events, in front of large, rabid crowds, choosing Full Sail instead. Even the most basic of squash matches would work much better in that environment.

If squashes are how you want to introduce a new character, I'd rather they happen on the weekly. TakeOver should be five solid competitive matches, and for every Nakamura that can get away with showing arse for Sami Zayn for 15 minutes, there are half a dozen Keith Lees or Matt Riddles that need building up first.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Not sure I agree. if you're a big dude then it should. Chucking around a job guy, throwing in your power moves and hitting a big finish is a bundle of fun. When its someone of average size though, I don't think there's much it does for them. Ever see Shawn Michaels in a squash back in the early 90s and think "Wow!"? Just didn't happen. Not against them giving anyone a run of wins over nomarks to make them stand out but don't expect to be wowed by it. He's not Sid.

I was actually thinking Tazz. Little guy, similar submission finisher, looked dead impressive in his squash debut. Extenuating circumstances were it being in the Garden and them fucking it afterwards of course. Totally agree that it works better for big dudes but when you’re being touted as one of the biggest signings ever and one of the top 10 in the world, the likes of Luke Menzies shouldn’t be getting anything over on you.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

when you’re being touted as one of the biggest signings ever and one of the top 10 in the world, the likes of Luke Menzies shouldn’t be getting anything over on you.

I don't think we should be basing much of an argument built on THAT line which was bloody awful from Nigel because while they've done a great job slowly increasing the acknowledgement of and respect for the wrestling world outside themselves.... it still flies massively in the face of the company narrative. People work other places for years to get into NXT, then only the cream of NXT get to THE SHOW. It doesn't follow that a guy could be in the top ten in the world if he's only just got to NXT.

Yeah, dumb line from McGuinness.

Candice looks like she's tacked on some muscle, shame she'll always just be presented as Johnny's Bird

I can't fucking believe DIY, man. My favourite thing in wrestling this time 2 years ago, they went from world class babyface tag team to corny little e-fed losers and it all happened so suddenly too.

Rest of the episode was cool, the Burch/Oney v Mexicans match was a lovely little sprint and the big brawl was ace apart from when Ricochet turned up and dived on everyone but didn't catch Bobby Fish and Fish is just looking at Hanson or the floor, as though Ricochet was invisible to him. That's pretty ridiculous stuff at this level, from a veteran too

Riddle was fine, but they're not trying to convince me. The squashes are there to give you a preview of what he's about, getting the character primarily and doing a couple signature moves. Yes they should be impressive but this thread really needs more patience sometimes lol.

Actually thought Menzies looked pretty good for what he got to show, definitely second him going to NXT UK and tearing Flash Wankster in half

Yeah, Menzies looked as impressive as Riddle, which probably wasn't the plan.    Dude's got that big superstar look.  Riddle's gimmick just feels like another one that won't transfer well from the Indies.  Obviously a big talent though, but wrestling barefoot?  Last time they allowed that was Rusev, who not unsurprisingly broke his ankle.  I was expecting more of a white meat Von Erich thing for Riddle.  The little vignette got me thinking though - Riddle v Angle would be something, even now.

Still, good show - just good stories, good stories!  The Black Gargano angle that's played out across the summer has been superb, and the schmoz to create WarGames was ace.  Looks like Burch/Lorcan and Lacey Evans are going to get a push up the order and compete for titles.

And @Supremo - yup, Ohno looks AWFUL, just a fucking mess.  I've said this before, but he has access to the Performance Centre every day - genuinely one of the premier sports training facilities in the world by all accounts, and he looks worse than when he re-debuted.  I'm no super athlete, but if I was paid to train at the PC I'd throw myself into that shit 100%.  Look at the Era boys, they all look buff now.  

• Paid Members

I hadn't seen Ohno for ages until last week's NXT. Couldn't believe that he looked even fatter than before. I know he's not there to progress to the main roster, his value is in experience but he still shouldn't be tossing it off to that extent.