NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I too thought the women's match was the best of the night.  Baszler's improvement curve is scary.  She works a different style of match from practically everyone else in WWE, male or female, and it's utterly compelling viewing.

The reason the EC3 match didn't work is there was no face or heel.  The build up was good but once you get into the actualities of wrestling in the ring, you need a story and they didn't really have one.  EC3 should be a clear heel and Dream a clear face.  

I know everyone loved the NA Title match, but there were some... odd moments in there where they both seemed to pause to wait for the other one to do something.  They really stuck out.  I wonder if the whole match was so heavily choreographed that they literally forgot their place in the script?  Fair play to Adam Cole for actually making use of the PC gym though, his physique is much better than when he arrived.

I am done with Gargano/Ciampa now.  I'm the one guy who's really not been enjoying it past the first match, and this one was too long, too many repeated spots from earlier matches, and an ending that left Gargano looking like an idiot and completely failing to do anything with the teased heel turn.  Also - if you work a style that looks that brutal, and DOES in fact hurt you and you end up injured, maybe it's time to consider changing it up a bit.  

What's next for Ciampa?  Who's the next face in line for a shot?  Dream I guess.

• Paid Members

I’ve got no problem with Gargano looking like a prick. The only reason that finish was a bit suspect is because I think the pile on spot of chairs and staff earlier in the match looked stronger.

Losing to him again is going to break Gargano, he’s going to lose the plot, it will get to the point he will lose his mind over this and naturally transfer in to a heel due to his behaviour. He was being a bit heelish last night like attacking a guy on the floor, pleading for forgiveness. 

I hope he’s out with an injury for a while. I hope Black comes back and believes Ciampa is Rikishi. I then hope after they have a good bit of feuding, Gargano returns and is unveiled as the one who actually did it because he wanted Ciampa to himself, leading to a Black vs Gargano programme. 

Ciampa can feud with whoever he wants... He and Riddle can go at it.

EC3 basically has a good/interesting face. That’s about it for me. I felt he and Dream had the weakest match of the night. Dream is better in the cocky underdog role that rises to the occasion and hugely impressed. Going against someone who is blander than a plain popcorn when in the ring, didn’t do him any favours and I think that’s the main thing Dream needs to work on. Other wise he’s the best thing in the company.

Sane is overrated. Her selling was crap. You can’t 1/2 sell a Baszler stomp. The problem was that it happened too early in the match. It should have been near the end, with Sane properly selling it, but over coming the odds. She was running full pelt in seconds. Baszler is the second best thing in the company. She’s fucking ace.

I was a big fan of the show. The tag match was ace, the Cole vs Ricochet match was ace, everything was spot on in general.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, uklaw said:

Something didn’t seem to work or click with EC3 last night. He particularly seemed... ‘out of place’ (if that’s the right phrase to use) 

Suspected concussion, so that may be part of it.

EC3 is far more of a 'main roster' type guy than the majority of the NXT roster at this point. Same with how Bobby Roode was really. Solid in ring, more character based etc.

That's not necessarily a bad thing but it does make his matches seem a bit out of place on cards that are very 'indie' heavy so to speak.

• Paid Members

Add me to the list of people hoping that Vince didn't notice Dream's tights. That would be the worst thing for him at this point. He's 23 and he's already streets ahead of the majority of the WWE roster with regards to his character and personality. Think how good he'll be in another two years. After that, he still has a good 10-15 years working on the main roster. I understand him wanting to get up to the main roster, no doubt, but he's not running short on money earning years, and the extra time in NXT will serve him well. 

It was certainly Velveteen Dream's worst Takeover match, but I'm putting that on EC3. This is the only time I've ever seen him, and I have no real interest in watching him again after that. I didn't get anything from him here at all. 

Ricochet Vs Adam Cole was the best match of the night for me, slightly ahead of the Tag title match, but both were incredibly exciting. Two lovely matches it's got to be said. I wasn't really a fan of the main event. It was a good match sure, but the weakest of all their recent Takeover main events. I wasn't a fan of the finish, nor in Gargano coming up short here. He had to win I think, as now, like others have mentioned, he has been made to look a fool when it counts. It looks like he chokes in the big match. Ciampa may have only just got the belt, but unless the plan all along was for Gargano to go heel, then Gargano should have beat him here for the belt. He didn't need to hold it for long, but for his baby-face story to climax, he did need to win it, and win it from Ciampa. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

EC3 is far more of a 'main roster' type guy than the majority of the NXT roster at this point. Same with how Bobby Roode was really. Solid in ring, more character based etc.

That's not necessarily a bad thing but it does make his matches seem a bit out of place on cards that are very 'indie' heavy so to speak.

You’ve nailed it really. But even then, he hasn’t carved out an in ring character, only a promo/facial expression character. I agree, his in ring work is ‘solid’ but not particularly entertaining and I’m not suggesting he turns in to something he’s not, but he needs an identity when in the ring. 

He’s crap at shouting too. He was shouting at Dream in the ring and it was such forced generic bollocks. 

Concussion or not, that’s been my view since his debut.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Loki said:

The reason the EC3 match didn't work is there was no face or heel.  The build up was good but once you get into the actualities of wrestling in the ring, you need a story and they didn't really have one.  EC3 should be a clear heel and Dream a clear face.

I think EC3 is supposed to be a face now, having had that mini-feud with Kona Reeves a few weeks back. It's being a face based solely on getting chanted for in Full Sail, though.

Agreed with others that he'd be much better placed as a midcard heel on the main roster right now.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

I love NXT and really enjoyed this but I can't stand Mauro Ranallo. He has one gear and just shouts at me for 3 hours. It's like being on the phone with my Dad.

I basically find NXT completely unwatchable because of Ranallo. He's fucking dreadful. 

7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

He’s still more listenable than Nigel

This

Nigels mispronouncing of words and every time he says woahhhhhh or ohhhhhh whilst a big spot happens annoys me as there is no emotion in it whatsoever, could just picture him sitting there plain faced raising his voice just to try and compete with Mauros passion.