NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

6 minutes ago, thicko said:

I don’t watch much, if any, wrestling these days. So if I wanted to binge watch this Ciampa / Gargano feud. Where would I start? 

NXT Takeover: Chicago from last year for the final match as a team and the break up angle. NXT #395 has Ciampa cutting an explanation promo that’s very good, but he is then gone due to injury and you skip to Takeover:Philadelphia from January and go from there 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator
26 minutes ago, thicko said:

I don’t watch much, if any, wrestling these days. So if I wanted to binge watch this Ciampa / Gargano feud. Where would I start? 

NXT Chicago for the breakup

NXT New Orleans for the first match

NXT Chicago II for the rematch

There are a couple of moments in between but they'll be recapped on the relevant show (sneak attacks and the like).

• Paid Members

Start with their 2/3 falls match with The Revival. It's ENORMOUSLY fun and it's worth seeing them as a team first. That's them hitting their pinnacle and shows you how they worked as a team. Then the Cruiserweight Classic match for sure, as it's more of how emotional it all is. Then the NXT Takeover with the Authors of Pain and so on as WyattSheepMask suggested.

• Paid Members

Tyler Breeze made an appearance at an NXT house show last night. I like the idea of guys like that popping up every now and then. If someone goes up to the main roster and flounders, why not shift them back to NXT for a month or so to freshen up and have some fun with new guys?

• Awards Moderator

During the press conference segment on this week's episode, I was reminded (by the poster behind William Regal) that Tyler Breeze faced Jushin Liger in Liger's only WWE match at the first Takeover Brooklyn. They must have had high hopes for him at one point.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

During the press conference segment on this week's episode, I was reminded (by the poster behind William Regal) that Tyler Breeze faced Jushin Liger in Liger's only WWE match at the first Takeover Brooklyn. They must have had high hopes for him at one point.

That or simply Tyler was a good hand to throw out there to let Liger get his shit in and who wouldn't lose too much in defeat. Felt random as hell at the time and very much like "Here's Liger having a match for us!" rather than a contest that either guy might win.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure they offered Liger a contract, so they were probably using Breeze to give him a showcase match to introduce Liger to the audience, in the hope that he'd come back for more. 

The weirdest thing about it all was that Takeover was the same night as a ROH/NJPW show in the same city, and Liger still managed to end up working NXT instead. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I'm pretty sure they offered Liger a contract, so they were probably using Breeze to give him a showcase match to introduce Liger to the audience, in the hope that he'd come back for more. 

The weirdest thing about it all was that Takeover was the same night as a ROH/NJPW show in the same city, and Liger still managed to end up working NXT instead. 

Fucking crazy if true. Up there with tweeting Ellen Page asking "fancy a fuck" in the "NEVER gonna happen" stakes.

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

Is that Ligers only ever match under the WWE banner?

Not counting jointly promoted ventures in Japan, yes.

• Paid Members

From what I vaguely remember, they'd been in conversation - via Regal and Balor - with Liger for a little while before putting that match together, and they offered him a contract to come and work there in some capacity, and Liger turned them down as he felt he was too old and shouldn't be taking spots from younger talent.