NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

On 22 March 2018 at 11:00 AM, The Dart said:

It's so rare these days that someone who is an internet favourite like Ciampa can get booed the way he is.  Shows how good the storyline has been and how beloved Gargano is and the team of DIY were.  Yet, there still has to be some bellends who can't play along and cheer him, probably because they respect how good his performance as a heel is. I bet when they have a match there'll be 50/50 chants as well.

I don't think it's even that, it's just a bunch going "look at me! I'm being different!".

I imagine that they will go with them at New Orleans, but I can see it being an ultra wild brawl leading to a no contest, not that I'm saying that's perfect by any means but it saves either man having to lose. From there you can get another match out of them at June's Takeover, Last Man Standing, I Quit or (as Gargano is 'unemployed') unsanctioned being the stipulation 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The angle is red hot now, if Ciampa's healthy enough to wrestle, they need to capitalise now - even if it's a one and done, with Gargano getting called up after 'Mania.

If he's not 100% I could definitely see them going the street fight direction to cover for anything he can't do. Just a massive brawl, properly smoke and mirrors the thing.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

What do people think? Are we actually going to get Gargano vs. Ciampa at Wrestlemania weekend, or not? Watching the TV, I still can’t tell whether they’re going to hold it off or not.

Yeah they're totally doing it, probably in the form of an unsanctioned street fight- which is the logical route if you ask me.

They have to strike while the iron is hot here. They're building it up towards something very soon, not down the line.

NXT this week is just fantastic, I thought. Surprise announcements, new characters, impromptu backstage segments, a Lars squash, two other matches with stakes, two huge bouts made for the following week, and a "wow" moment in the very last seconds. Everything meant something and moved the stories ahead. Great stuff!

• Paid Members

This was the polar opposite of this week's Raw. Fun, fast, loads of developments. I loved it.

Takeover looks to be an incredible show.

I've never seen EC3 wrestle and I've only seen a handful of Ricochet matches. They both came across like megastars here though. Ricochet in particular looked like an absolute boss walking out at the end. That guy reeks of potential.

NXT absolutely nailing it right now. It's amazing how they manage to cope with the constantly changing roster.

Gargano and Ciampa's feud has been booked to perfection. And the talent fighting over the new North American title will guarantee and an amazing match at Takeover.

I'd like to highlight the "backstage" segment with TM13 that segued into the Baszler-Moon brawl.  Your eye was immediately drawn to what was happening behind the window even as the interview was taking place.  It felt natural and coincidental, and everyone reacted in a realistic manner.  They've done a bunch of Performance Centre segments over the last few years, and it almost always works.

This style is SO much better than the main brands and it shows you can forward storylines and create drama without pretending the camera's not there, ala every RAW backstage segment with Angle ever.  

In fact, it's much more effective because it feels more like a reality tv show, in a good way, than RAW or Smackdown.  The WWE has produced some really interesting takes on reality tv in the last few years - Breaking Ground, that last Tough Enough, Total Divas to some extent, where although the "scripted" nature of pro wrestling is basically acknowledged, they've used those blurred lines to create much more rounded characters.  I can buy that stuff happens "earlier in the day" at a gym, or catering or at a presser, or outside where the fans are, much more than altercations happening whilst one character is staring at a tv screen backstage during the actual show.

I really hope all this is a template for WWE tv generally post-Vince.  It's more modern, more relatable to a casual viewer who tunes in, and produces more interesting character dynamics.

P.S @WyattSheepMask - that's me standing up there!  I love Lars.

Edited by Loki
EDIT: autocorrect madness

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'd like to highlight the "backstage" segment with TM13 that segued into the Baszler-Moon brawl.  Your eye was immediately drawn to what was happening behind the window even as the interview was taking place.  It felt natural and coincidental, and everyone reacted in a realistic manner.  They've done a bunch of Performance Centre segments over the last few years, and it almost always works.

This style is SO much better than the main brands and it shows you can forward storylines and create drama without pretending the camera's not there, ala every RAW backstage segment with Angle ever.  

This is stuff that I love, production-wise. I want there to always be a reason why the camera would be backstage and catch people fighting, or arguing, or anything else. When Kurt Angle and Stephanie McMahon are arguing in their office and interrupted by a wrestler demanding a match, why is there a camera there? Why did the show cut back to them at that exact point? Why were they just standing around in awkward silence before the cut?

NXT is rarely, if ever, guilty of that, and I love it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The Dart said:

That ladder match should be great.  EC3 win is my prediction.

I was trying to guess who'd win it earlier, and aside from Lars & Dain, you can see any of the other four winning it. I think EC3 will win it, he looks like a title should be around his waist, in a similar vein to Roode.

@Loki if you like the reality stuff, and being a former TNA fan, you'll be happy to know that Borash is supposedly now involved with NXT, so you could see more of this type of stuff.