NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I rewatched Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate this morning. Even better than I remembered it. Ā It's unbelievable that they didn't capitalise on the momentum of that match.Ā 

If nothing else, surely they'll have Dunne defend the belt at the next Takeover? Maybe against Mark Andrews, using the footage of their angle at Download Festival?

I just can't fathom a company discovering a talent like Pete Dunne, signing him to a contract, giving him the platform to deliver the match of the year, then doing fuck all with him afterwards.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I rewatched Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate this morning. Even better than I remembered it. Ā It's unbelievable that they didn't capitalise on the momentum of that match.Ā 

If nothing else, surely they'll have Dunne defend the belt at the next Takeover? Maybe against Mark Andrews, using the footage of their angle at Download Festival?

I just can't fathom a company discovering a talent like Pete Dunne, signing him to a contract, giving him the platform to deliver the match of the year, then doing fuck all with him afterwards.

They are clearly taking their time with this UK project, seemingly still figuring out exactly what it will be and how it will run as a continuous programme. However, from everything they have done with it to date, it's obvious that Dunne is all set to be a major focus of it. He is the poster boy of an entire new division of WWE's product. So I don't know what you expected them to do with him so far?

If he had been on NXT every other week there's no way they could have protected him without pushing him harder than most of that roster and there's no way they are going to do that and nor should they.

I think you just need to be patient and see what the plans are for the UK project. Time is on his side.

• Paid Members

I wonder if they're actually planning on just sacking off the UK project entirely, and are trying to figure out the best way out of it.

It most likely only came into existence in the first place as a reaction to World of Sport, given that a lot of their scheduling seemed designed to undermine World of Sport's planned tapings, they brought back Jim Ross to announce the UK special after he'd announced the WOS pilot, and WOS would have had better TV coverage in the UK than WWE do. Since it became apparent that World of Sport was on the backburner, if not dead entirely, they've not really done anything with the UK lads except use them to pad out UK cards - and they were doing that with local wrestlers back in the early '90s anyway, it's just decent business sense to keep costs down by not flying over a few blokes when you can use the ones who already live here. The whole idea of putting the likes of PROGRESS or ICW on the Network seems to have died a death, too.

Without any immediate threat from World of Sport, or anything like it, they don't seem in any hurry to do anything with the UK "brand", and there's less incentive for them to get their arses in gear and do it anyway. And will they even bother with the start-up costs (bearing in mind I have no clue how they were planning on structuring this thing, but presumably they'd need some kind of UK-based infrastructure to actually run it)Ā and the effort that entails when they're basically back to being without competition in the UK?

Ā 

Even if the UK brand is dead in the water, though, it still seems mental that they've not tied down Pete Dunne to something more substantial - but then, what have they got to lose? They already have him under a contract that's stopping him signing with, say, GFW or NJPW, and they're probably happy with him going out and getting experience elsewhere without them having to put any effort in, and he's still young enough that, barring injury, they can afford to take their time on when they want to bring him in on a more full-time basis.

Having talked to Regal at the weekend at a convention, the UK stuff definitely isn't dead in the water. HHH is still really high on it, they apparently talk about it all the time and there's a real buzz around the talent also. It just takes time to put the pieces together to do it properly. But it's certainly still in the pipeline and nothing's been forgotten about it as far as he was concerned.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Supremo said:

I watched it Saturday with a mate who was a fan in the Hogan era but hasn't really bothered since... He absolutely loved it from start to finish and thought Dunne was fantastic. He was proper buying into the nearfalls and the electric atmosphere.Ā 

It was pretty cool to see someone who's not a fan react that way and enjoy it so thoroughly. Cracking stuff.Ā 

Ā 

is BT Gunn someone WWE are interested in anyone know? I'm still excited for the UK brand thing if it continues out at the same quality it has, but new talent is key, as they have 2/3 stars in Bate, Dunne & Andrews, another 2/3 midcarders and it was thinning out by the first/second "special" in Norwich . Moving bits in place so they fit will go some way, like the recent Burch matches, this with Gallagher, hopefully something involving Neville but I'd like to see some new names announced. Not sure who would make a key difference, mostly just knowing the Progress and RevPro names

Now the ITV contracts are up you have a heap of names there, the bigger sized lads like mastiff and Rampage Brown would mix it up. Also seen Mark Coffey vs Pete Dunne last week and think Mark would fit in very well.Ā 

Believe BT has had a try out. Very very talented wrestler, but very againstĀ Mic work so may limit his chances if he was thereĀ 

• Paid Members

I'd take Mastiff/Rampage as WWE UK guys for sure. Ligero too. Not sure they'd ever progress beyond that stage necessarily (could be wrong of course), but would make great as part of the roster for the UK show, and I imagine they would happily take the exposure to boost their profiles on the indies alongside the WWE payday.Ā Ā