NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

If they're good enough, a three(!) month stint on NXT wouldn't hurt anyone who is currently in developmental right now.

I was actually thinking I'd like them to draw a line under the redemption series and also forget the winner moves on to series 6 stip, by having Bateman win and moving up to Smackdown (with Maxine in tow and continuing their weird relationship ideally), firing Young and Titus in the post-WrestleMania cull, and then pitting a new selection of guys against the rest of the people who have been hanging out on NXT since the competitions quietly went away.

Reks, Hawkins, Curtis, Yoshi, The Usos, Kidd, etc would be good opponents for Antonio Cesaro etc, and competitive matches on a minor show would tell us more about someone being good than debuting with squash matches on Raw or Smackdown.

Plus, if Vince likes the look of someone enough, they can always re-debut as a big deal on one of the bigger shows later.

I've been quietly watching NXT since the beginning, and while I prefer it now they've dumped the challenges, I really hope they mix it up with some new guys after WrestleMania. Preferably giving Titus O'Neil the post-Mania World Title push too.

I agree with this is part, though his work with D-Young is so ruddy excellent I'd maybe consider giving them a long run at the tag titles followed by an emotional split before Titus gets the push. Realistically, Young could win the title in that time, and O'Neill could turn face again leading to them main eventing WM30.

I think rather than having "seasons" of NXT it should just be like it is now, but still have the non Raw/Smackdown guys like Young, O'Neil, Watson, Maxine and Bateman win chances to compete on Raw or Smackdown, by winning matches against the 'pros' and eventually winning the chance to become a member of those rosters or getting signed by the GMs.

Even if this season never ends, eventually Bateman and co will have to move on to Raw or Smackdown and new guys will have to arrive in NXT.

Although, according to wwe.com Watson, Young, Bateman and O'Neil are on the Smackdown roster. Poor old Maxine is the only one with no roster allegiance.

I happen to love NXT, and like a few others I've seen every episode of it. Doesn't mean it's always good, but then neither is Raw. I love how different it is, how ignored by WWE it is, and since they started using guys like Usos, Tatsu, Riley etc it's become a really good wrestling programme. Where else would a storyline like the Bateman/Maxine/Curtis love triangle have lastest 6 months or however long it's been!

Is it weird if I'm liking McGullicutty? He's not going to set the world alight, but there's something about him I quite like. I also like how NXT seems to be booked one week at a time, yet still manages to hype the next show better than RAW & SmackDown. And usually ends with better cliff-hangers - I loved that bit of NXT where one team would win a match, only for Reks & Hawkins to do a run-in for no reason, these 2 teams wrestle and then the Usos run in for no reason.

Seriously, I'd love a tag team brand in the WWE. Hawkins/Reks, Usos, Baretta/Kidd, Percy/Riley, D-Young/Titus, could be pretty interesting. Add the whole Kaitlyn-Bateman-Maxine-Curtis-Regal thing, and you've got a pretty bitching brand.

It just needs a big gaudy belt that'll sell loads to the kids and they need to put it on Alex Riley. The guy's a star.

The fact that nobody has mentioned Regal's insertion of Depeche Mode songs into his commentary during the Tamina/Maxine match dissapoints me. What a wonderful wonderful man Regal is.

NEWM's the only person that watches it, and he might not know Depeche Mode songs.

The fact that nobody has mentioned Regal's insertion of Depeche Mode songs into his commentary during the Tamina/Maxine match dissapoints me. What a wonderful wonderful man Regal is.

NEWM's the only person that watches it, and he might not know Depeche Mode songs.

This thread is proof that isn't the case pit. Unless these are all alt accounts of NEWMs?

• Paid Members
Is it weird if I'm liking McGullicutty? He's not going to set the world alight, but there's something about him I quite like.

Yes, it is weird. But I'm with you.

When Otunga started doing the lawyer gimmick, I assumed his previous shitness had been simply down to McGillicutty being such a charisma vacuum he dragged their whole team down. But now, I think it was just a horrible pairing that didn't click, as they've both come accross far better on their own.

It just needs a big gaudy belt that'll sell loads to the kids and they need to put it on Alex Riley. The guy's a star.

Like the idea of a belt, hate Alex Riley. But you're probably right that he'd be the best guy for it initially.

They could do a thing where they formalise that the guys on NXT are no longer contracted to either of the main brands (they could do it as a result of the single GM thing [single brand??] that seems to be coming) - they can appear on Superstars, but not Raw or Smackdown unless they hold the NXT belt. Then when they drop it, the GM evaluates whether to sign them to the big shows on a permanent basis.

• Paid Members

Nah, he's a big fan of theirs, in fact he just can't get enough...

• Paid Members

Regal crowbarred about 20 Smiths song titles into one minute of commentary during one of Maxine's matches a few weeks ago. It didn't particularly work and I don't think Josh had a fucking clue what was going on. Hence it was brilliant.

Here's a transcript:

"William, it's really nothing. What difference does it make? Heaven knows I'm miserable now. I started something I couldn't finish. Stop me if you've heard this one before. Last night, I dreamt that somebody loved me. There's a light that never goes out. I feel like Shakespeare's sister, like the Queen is dead. This charming man, the boy with the thorn in his side, showed up in my mind and I saw his girlfriend in a coma. Sheila, take a bow, he cried. Strangeways, here we come. These tears fell and I thought, my sweet and tender hooligans. Just ask, how soon is now? He looked in my eyes and it felt like a hand in glove. I began to panic and then Big Mouth strikes again. I blurted out, meat is murder. She said, that joke isn't funny anymore. I walked away and he stole my heart like so many others. So, Curtis Bateman and the mystery man: shoplifters of the world unite. That's what she told me. I had no idea what it meant, but she's in a proper hoop about it."

Mental.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Indeed. Here's this week's Depeche Mode effort.

"You wouldn't believe what's going on in my life at the moment. Huh...do you want me to tell you? It was a Black Day on NXT. These Fools, these Damaged People, so Corrupt and Dangerous. Disrupting those that Work Hard, they Shouldn't Have Done That. Oh Well. Sometimes, People Are People. Something to Do because Fragile Tension, But Not Tonight. Here's a little Insight: The Landscape is Changing, It Doesn't Matter what happened in the past, those are Stories of Old, Better Days are ahead. I'm Behind the Wheel now, it's a Clean slate. I'll bring New Life to NXT, there's Nothing to Fear. Being GM, it's A Pain That I'm Used To. Now, don't get me wrong, Any Second Now, Blasphemous Rumours will begin...I'm losing my step here, but It's No Good. They will Leave in Silence and Suffer Well, Walking in My Shoes is no easy task, but Get the Balance Right here on NXT. Nothing's Impossible, it's just A Question of Time. Ladies and gentlemen, that's my story and I'm sticking to it."

• Paid Members

Would be funnier if they were funny to begin with. I don't see how writing a list of songs by bands down on a bit of paper and then reading them out in no context at all is funny.

• Paid Members
Would be funnier if they were funny to begin with. I don't see how writing a list of songs by bands down on a bit of paper and then reading them out in no context at all is funny.

Funny because it's so shit, like a lot of NXT. When I heard through Regal's Twitter that he had dropped some Smiths reference into commentary that week I was keeping my ears open for him sneakily dropping some song titles into the show where appropriate. Instead, he just reeled off a fucking massive list of songs completley out of context and with all the subtlety of a brick through a window.

• Paid Members
Matt Striker randomly dropped Smiths song titles into his commentary during a PPV once, I recall everyone shitting all over that too.

Strikers efforts were shit because Striker said them so blatantly in that wank voice of his, whereas Regal riffs them off in one go into a Phil Lynott stream of lyricism... and It's on NXT.