Eurovision Song Contest

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

We are but two and a bit months away. Whilst the UK song has yet to be revealed, the act was announced tonight.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Englebert Humperdinck

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

No, seriously.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Englebert Humperdinck

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time in a bazillion years the act hasnt been picked by the public according to the Guardian.

I find that odd as it was only with the Jonathan King revival shows and subsequent BBC ones since about the mid 1990's that Im aware we, the public has had a choice of singer and song. Before that, the singer was picked already and the public chose the song, only ala Michael Ball. iirc

First time in a bazillion years the act hasnt been picked by the public according to the Guardian.

I find that odd as it was only with the Jonathan King revival shows and subsequent BBC ones since about the mid 1990's that Im aware we, the public has had a choice of singer and song. Before that, the singer was picked already and the public chose the song, only ala Michael Ball. iirc

Did we pick Blue last year?

Anyway good on him, he can sing, carries himself like a star and i'll be proud to see him represent us, just maybe 30 or 40 years ago. That's what makes it so random, rather than him being crap. Still, even at 75 he's better than all the tosh put together we've had in the last 10 years.

People always say "oh we'll never win they hate us etc", but I think that's died down now considering we were 5th the other year and I think generally it's been a lot better recently. If we had the best song etc we could win again it's just the last few years i've always thought ours as been somewhere near the bottom quality wise.

It's a shame most people see the whole thing as a joke now, because sadly I still look forward to it and enjoy it and all the spectacle of it. The quality has been much better the last few years.

Did we pick Blue last year?

No we (the British public) didn't but IIRC after a few votes it was in 1st position. Then we finished 11th or so.

Also i'm sure I read somewhere that Dana International who won for Israel is representing them again this year, which if true should be highly entertaining bearing in mind that the competition is in one of the most staunch ultra conservative countries on the old USSR.

• Paid Members

The more I think about it the more I like it. Although way past it Englebert has/had worldwide fame (I'm not sure if he was huge in the Eastern Bloc though) and if the song's halfway decent then we'll at least do respectably.

Englebert's got nothing to lose and it gets him a bit of publicity. I'd rather go for has beens that can sing rather than no-marks that can't so Go Humpy~!

(If the song's shit then I'll go back on all of this)

Archived