Davy Jones RIP

Snake Plissken

• Paid Members

The lead singer of the Monkees Davy Jones has died in his sleep after suffering a heart attack his agent has reported.I'll post the full article when I can get to a PC. But I loved The Monkees when I was younger, spent many a school disco dancing to Daydream Believer. :(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The lead singer of the Monkees Davy Jones has died in his sleep after suffering a heart attack his agent has reported.I'll post the full article when I can get to a PC.

If anything stinks of "I must be the first to post an RIP thread", it is this.

Pat, I take it all back.

• Moderators

I do really enjoy the Monkees. Pleasant Valley Sunday would probably be in my top 20/30 of all time, along with this tune here which I'm about to link to. It's the fantastic

from the hugely underrated film "Head".

Personally I did prefer the songs with Micky Dolenz on vocals if truth be told, but Jones was still a vital part of a band who I'd like to think are now seen as more than just bubblegum chancers.

He was a decent jockey as well.

RIP

• Paid Members
I do really enjoy the Monkees. Pleasant Valley Sunday would probably be in my top 20/30 of all time, along with this tune here which I'm about to link to. It's the fantastic
from the hugely underrated film "Head".

Personally I did prefer the songs with Micky Dolenz on vocals if truth be told, but Jones was still a vital part of a band who I'd like to think are now seen as more than just bubblegum chancers.

He was a decent jockey as well.

RIP

Was hoping that Head was on Netflix, to watch as a tribute tonight, but no dice.

• Awards Moderator

Really sad, this. The Monkees epitomised the fun music that came out of the Sixties, being the very definition of a boy band as opposed to the shite that gets churned out these days. I've got fond memories of getting in to The Monkees around the same time as The Kinks when I was discovering all of the music from that era. My Mum always loved them, too, and said they were her favourite band growing up, so it's even sadder from that point of view for me.

They produced some wonderfully catchy stuff, along with a lot of work which isn't as well recognised as 'the hits'. If anyone has the time, I'd recommend checking out as much of their back catalogue possible and then challenge you not to beam from ear to ear. They were just superb at what they did and Davy Jones was a pivotal part of it.

Sad, sad stuff and that's way too young to go.

• Moderators
I'll have to check those songs out Butch.. I don't know any of their stuff after the big hits, but I used to watch the TV show every weekend.

is pretty awesome as well, one of the relatively rare times Michael Nesmith would sing lead.

And of course, for all you Oz fans, there was Omar White singing the Davy Jones led "I Wanna Be Free" at the talent show.

Archived