Deathmatch interest thread

Richie Freebird

If I get a chance to read an article later there might be a few ideas from that which could stimulate conversation on deathmatches and wrestling in general if people are interested?

Yes. This thread has definitely taken a very interesting turn thanks to your original post on the sub consious sexual undertones of the deathmatch world. The discussion has been pretty damn good compared to other, similar topics we

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I get a chance to read an article later there might be a few ideas from that which could stimulate conversation on deathmatches and wrestling in general if people are interested?

Yes. This thread has definitely taken a very interesting turn thanks to your original post on the sub consious sexual undertones of the deathmatch world. The discussion has been pretty damn good compared to other, similar topics we

Ruby Wax touched the surface of this once, but she got freaked out quite early during a "normal" hardcore match.

I remember that. Strawberry Fields put candles on her nipples.

Hehe. I'm not sure he meant that but, yes, she did.

I seem to remember Ruby being very disturbed by a [by todays standards very tame] death match between former [original] ECW valet, Angel and a bloke. Not much of it was shown and it was shot in black and white if I remember rightly. Angel bled a lot and said afterwards 'Now this is fun' after originally answering 'People are dirt' when asked by Wax why she did death match wrestling.

• Paid Members
I seem to remember Ruby being very disturbed by a [by todays standards very tame] death match between former [original] ECW valet, Angel and a bloke. Not much of it was shown and it was shot in black and white if I remember rightly. Angel bled a lot and said afterwards 'Now this is fun' after originally answering 'People are dirt' when asked by Wax why she did death match wrestling.

That was the bit my mum didn't like, she was mortified by a woman getting bloody and fighting a man, she had no idea it was a work.

This thread has definitely taken a very interesting turn thanks to your original post on the sub consious sexual undertones of the deathmatch world.

I was me that originally brought the sexual connotation into this thread but I just interpreted it that way because I'm a renowned pervert and it's usually the first thing I think of in any situation, I'm not all psychological about it like Vamp so I'm very glad he expanded on it so eloquently

• Paid Members

This most interestimg discussion involving deathmatch wrestling ive ever read. Not sure i agree (and to be honest id nwver thought about it that deeply) but its an interesting view on it all.

Not sure i agree (and to be honest id nwver thought about it that deeply)

To be honest I feel the same way myself about a lot of psychoanalysis. That's why I sound pretty hesistant in the post, its such an easy thing to over apply. To paraphrase from that Austrian bloke; sometimes a lighttube is just a lighttube. Talking of which I should really actually get around to watching some of the clips in this thread.

I'd never thought about Deathmatches as being more about BDSM than about wrestling. It actually makes an enormous amount of sense.

It doesn't really. BDSM has a sexual element, deathmatch wrestling doesn't. Or at least I think it doesn't.

I think that's oversimplifying queer sexualities to be honest. I won't go into it too much becuase I'm not an expert on the topic myself (I'm really, really not) and it goes into a lot of psychoanalysis bollocks which you either believe or you don't. The first thing that's striking about deathmatches is the very title. The death element. The death drive (according to Freud, who spoke a lot of bollocks to be fair) has very similar functions to love, it is about restoring the original unity we have with the mother. Death breaks the symbolic world that we live in and allows us to get back to what we had originally. So I dare say the high risk of all this and the notion of being involved with something with 'death' in the title is really a demonstration of such a perversion. If you believe in this sort of thing we all have the desire to get back to the original unity. Its gets expressed in different ways though. Love, for example, is supposedly a desire to be one with the Other but there's always a lack there which leads to anxities in relationships.

Masochism is as much about the suspense as it is about the pain. What quite often pisses people off about death matches, and its already been mentioned in here, is the fact that 'wrestlers' just wait to be hit with a light tube, attacked with a syringe, etc. I would argue that not only would the performance of them fighting back prevent them from just waiting for the moment of gratification but it would also interfere with the audience's enjoyment. Obviously there's a sadistic element to watching deathmatches but there's also a mashochistic one, somebody mentioned earlier having to watch a clip through their fingers. The bit where a wrestler stands there openly waiting to be hit let's us know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it's going to happen, and that's part of the masochism of the whole thing. You mention it doesn't have a sexual element, but that's just a further example of the suspense. The lack of sexual involvement or orgasm is a part of the disavowel.

The reason they don't care about the money is, I would have thought, because of the need to do this in front of an audience. Masochism is performative in nature, ritualistic, I'd imagine there's an intrinsic need for many of the people involved to do it in front of a crowd. The "bring the weapons" death matches are probably a top example of this.

I mean, I'm always cautious when discussing psychoanalytic theory, because a lot of it either gets applied poorly (and I haven't done a good job here, I've barely touched the surface because deathmatches don't really interest me) or isn't something I personally believe to be true. I certainly would say there's a sexual involvement here though. Its a perversion. I mean, that's probably not the only reason people are involved in the scene, I'm sure there are those within it that have some form of mental illness but I'd be careful of just putting deathmatches down under mental illness.

Ultimately anyone who tells you their sexuality is simple and they just wanna fuck her/him because they're hot is wrong. Sexuality is a complicated mess all the time. Its a big puddle of blood with glass, barbwire and whatever other debris you can think of in it.

I've bored myself talking about that. And I've annoyed myself for not even having done it very well.

Edit: Should be noted that when I suggest there's a sadistic element for thsoe who do enjoy it, I'm not using the term with the negative implications it has. In case anybody gets pissed at me for calling them a sadist. Aslo, there must be someone on here way better at this topic than I am.

Good read! :thumbsup:

Deep South Carnage Cup 2010

imagesCAGE6YWL.jpg

This event was held in the same venue as the 2009 edition, and even one of the weapons had survived from the last show (a barbed wire wrapped piece of a bunk bed). After watching the Mid South tournament on Friday, it was quite noticeable that Deep South had drawn a considerably bigger audience for this than Mid South did for their tag team tourney. I actually think Deep South is the better promotion, yet Mid South seems to get all the mentions and notoriety. Anyways, the stage was again set for Deep South to raise some hell in Alabama. The brackets for this one were 4 opening round contests, and then a 4 way dance in the final.

First round

David Day vs Viper

No rope barbed wire stipulation here, for the first contest of the tournament. The barbed wire bed frame was back out to play. Day got thrown from the ring onto said weapon which was set up across a quadrant of chairs on the floor, which Viper followed up with a nice Cactus Jack-esque elbow drop. After being thrown into the wire a couple of times himself, Viper unleashed a deadly front suplex on Day, landing him with the wire right into his stomach. Nice. This rag dolling continued through the match, with a double under-hook sit out piledriver from the ring, through a barbed wire table on the floor. This was a crazy spot, as actual sparks flew off the table which neither I nor the commentators had any idea how happened. Day was back body dropped onto a Hummer which was parked in the arena, then press slammed onto the roof of the vehicle before he managed to reverse a throat toss off the top attempt into a (very sloppy) leg scissors which sent viper flying off the top of the Hummer into a massive custom built pit covered in tubes and barbed wire. He then got the 3 count completely against the run of play in this one, which had almost been a squash match up to this point.

cc4.jpg

Unexplained sparks as Viper pile drives Day through the barbed wire table

cc2.jpg

Viper lies in the wreckage

Freakshow vs TJ Phillips

Oddly, I