Deathmatch interest thread

Richie Freebird

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IWA East Coast: Masters of Pain 2012

iwa-eastcoast.jpg

So, as the title suggests, the next full scale deathmatch tournament I'll be looking at here is last year's offering from Mad Man Pondo's under rated promotion IWA East Coast. I can't really go into a lot of background details about this event as I only really look in at East Coast when they are doing the deathmatch tournaments, but most of the names in the 2012 incarnation of the tournament should be familiar to most readers of this thread. Let's head over to Charleston, West Virginia then, for Masters of Pain 2012.

Round 1

Danny Havoc vs Ron Mathis

This opening contest was billed as a Black Hawk Down deathmatch, but having not seen the film, I don't know what actually made it worthy of such a title. I can only imagine it was something to do with two light tubes that were set up in opposing corners of the ring, mounted on small motors which constantly spun them around in a way reminiscent of an aeroplane propeller. There were also boards in the other two corners with rows of fixed position light tubes mounted upon, though I think these were quite ill thought out, as the crowd couldn't really see the tubes for the wood. Anyway...

d1-10.png

No that's not a handful of raw minced beef...

At some point in the early going here Mathis caught a deep and very bloody cut to the palm of his hand. I think he may have inadvertently dropped his hand into a broken piece of light tube when going for a cover on Havoc and lacerated himself good and proper. There was a constant stream of blood emerging from Mathis' left hand for almost the entire bout because of this. It was getting all over Havoc and all over the ring, such a simple accident and this one was looking like a minor bloodbath!

d2-9.png

Powerbomb through the light tube board

d3-6.png

Cradle bomb into headlock styled cover

The two briefly brawled around ringside, and when Mathis temporarily paused to check on his hand injury, a member of the crowd shouted

Semi Finals

Danny Havoc vs Matt Tremont

Probably my two favourite active competitors in today's deathmatch scene here in the first semi final of the 2012 Masters of Pain tournament. Havoc looked the more worse for wear physically on the way out to the ring, sporting some cuts and bloodstains from the previous round, but he was still in good spirits, jokingly threatening referee Lauderdale with a water jug bat before the action got started. Weapons out to play in this one: various barbed wire bats, a barbed wire crutch, a water jug bat and even a barbed wire prosthetic leg! I wonder if it was the same leg used back at the Carnage Cup in Alabama earlier that year? One of the most

So, here it is chaps. The final post on the IWA East Coast Masters of Pain tournament. Enjoy...

TJ Phillips vs Smokey C

This one was a non tournament bout, booked to give the semi finalists a little bit of recovery time before they had to go back out there for the final. This was billed as a

Watched that event a few days back, too. Cant believe you didnt do a screen grab of Tremonts gaping leg gash from the final. Was disgusting. They missed a huge trick by not having Masada work over that gash. He did so for like 30 seconds, but then stopped. Masada beating the shit out of Tremonts leg would have been great. Even still, it was a very good final (despite the weak looking final bump). Tremont sells a beatdown so well that the fans were right behind him during the match. As you said, the shot of Tremont rolling around in his own blood on the floor (after that nasty bump) was great.

Thought the commentators were crap, and not just because most of the time they couldnt actually see what was happening. Also, the noise the thumbtack bat made when Masada whacked it into Boodrows head for the second time is something any deathmatch fan needs to hear. Disgusting.

Edited by Dai

Masada vs Spider Boodrow

So, the first round closed out with two of the most brutal, sick fuckers in this style. Boodrow, you will remember, was the gentleman who allowed John Rare to plunge a Stanley knife deep into his biceps during the 2011 Carnage Cup and then competed against Rare again the following year in a match involving a 110V grinder. Something tells me he wasn't paying particular attention the 1970 Abrasive Wheels Act that day. This man doesn't need to compete her to prove he's a master of pain - the tattoos on his face tell you what you need to know about him. Masada you will be more familiar with as the dominating champion of CZW and the only 2 time Tournament of Death champion.

Wifebeater won CZW Tournament of Death 1 and 3, Masada is only person to win back to back Tournament of Deaths. (Not counting the off-shoots like Europe/Gorefest/Rewind.)

Masada is a giant dickhead who will stiff the fuck out of the wrong person one day and get what's owed, his shoot interviews are shite as well.

Great reviews Richie, glad to see you're back around. Thank-you for your reviews and dedication to this thread.

• Paid Members

Hahaha Smokey C. He was in the IWAS MS KOTDM 2004 and got totally murdered by Ryan Boz and a couple of barbed wire boards. I remember it because CM Punk was doing commentary and took the constant piss out of ol' Smokey in amusing fashion. Had no idea he was still around.

Great reading as always Richie lad!

Watched that event a few days back, too. Cant believe you didnt do a screen grab of Tremonts gaping leg gash from the final. Was disgusting. They missed a huge trick by not having Masada work over that gash. He did so for like 30 seconds, but then stopped. Masada beating the shit out of Tremonts leg would have been great. Even still, it was a very good final (despite the weak looking final bump). Tremont sells a beatdown so well that the fans were right behind him during the match. As you said, the shot of Tremont rolling around in his own blood on the floor (after that nasty bump) was great.

I actually took that photo, but it ended up on the editing room floor. I don't think that gash was as bad as it actually looked in real time. I think that the bit of blood soaked bandage that he has tied around his leg is making a bit of an illusion, though I could be wrong. Masada opened up a new gash right above it with the light tube any way, if this is indeed the incident you are referring to?

d2-16.png

Tremont's cut up leg from the Masters of Pain final

Wifebeater won CZW Tournament of Death 1 and 3, Masada is only person to win back to back Tournament of Deaths. (Not counting the off-shoots like Europe/Gorefest/Rewind.)

Right you are (as always!) Thanks for that. It was the back to back statistic that I was getting confused with there. Thanks for the feedback too, and thanks also to my friend Spirit for the comments! :)

Just looking at the pics, are they seriously doing all this insane shit in front of 50 people? For a handful of dollars? Madness.

The photos I've included there are actually a little misleading as far as the attendance goes. Most of the people there were behind the angle from which the hard camera was shooting, and most of my photos there are coming from similar angles. I'd say this tournament out drew the IWA Deep South tournament from last year. I'm guessing there was at least a couple of hundred there.

It always baffles me when I see some of these crowds. There always seems to be the odd old woman or two sat right on the front row. What on earth would old women want here at a deathmatch tournament? There are sometimes young kids too. What kind of nutters would take their kids so such a seedy festival of carnage and debauchery? I think there should at least be a 15 certificate on the door...

Masters of Pain was my favourite DM tourney of last year. Although TOD was still very good and Carnage Cup has that grimey, kind of video nasty quality to it

As an unashamed gore hound, I think the Carnage Cup was probably my favourite tournament of last year. I actually thought I was going to be sick during Boodrow / Rare II. The scrap yard venue and the live band just gave it all a really unique feel too. It was one of the most brutal tournaments I've ever seen.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread alive with your comments and feedback! I might do some new stuff for in here later on if anyone is interested.

Right you are (as always!) Thanks for that. It was the back to back statistic that I was getting confused with there. Thanks for the feedback too, and thanks also to my friend Spirit for the comments! :)

I wish! Technically Wifebeater was the first to win back to back tournaments as he didn't compete in Tournament of Death 2.

Anyway if you like Big Japan, check out this channel:

BIG JAPAN EVENTS/MATCHES!

Enjoy.

Edited by Rule One