Deathmatch interest thread

Richie Freebird

In regards to a current Deathmatch Darling, i'd have to say 'The Bulldozer' Matt Tremont would be the best shout as he's the new face tearing it up.

On the topic of pay, I believe Ian Rotten gave JC Bailey $100 and a load of painkillers the year he won King of the Death Matches. So what, $100 for working 4 deathmatches in 2 days. Basically prostituting a guy so he can fuel his addictions.

Though saying that, Ultramantis Black says on his shoot that the reason he did the Carnage Cup was because 'the money was too good'. So you just dont know. Either way, these guys aren't paid alot in their home promotions hence why they all have day jobs, so I doubt 'good money' in these tournaments is really THAT good in reality.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
On the topic of pay, I believe Ian Rotten gave JC Bailey $100 and a load of painkillers the year he won King of the Death Matches.

:laugh:

Not really well known but relative newcomer 'Bulldozer' Matt Tremont is all kinds of nuts too. I imagine this guy doesn't fancy having a long career.

In regards to a current Deathmatch Darling, i'd have to say 'The Bulldozer' Matt Tremont would be the best shout as he's the new face tearing it up.

All right, I've got my wince on already, does someone wanna tell me a couple of 'Bulldozer' Matt Tremont spots?

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

Deathmatches are rough, no doubt about it, having said that though I'd rather take these spots than be punched & elbowed in the face 10 times by an MMA fighter.

I'd rather take the elbows in MMA, in a reputable competition you would either get stopped before 10 elbows and you get the chance to fight back. These guys are letting their lives into someone's hands. I'll be getting a couple of hundred quid for my fight on Sunday and I know win or lose unless I'm very very unlucky I'll be alright to go out on the piss the day afterwards, maybe a slight black eye or a bit of a cut that might need gluing up, which will heal in a week. Letting someone stab you is fucking stupid no matter what.

Fair enough man, good to hear a point of view from someone who does MMA on my post, I was purely going on superficial bloody wounds vs getting your head battered in but if you say it's not like that then fair play.

I think people talking about pay are getting the wrong end of the stick with this, no one would do this for the money, the only reason anyone would do it is because they're insane/want a bit of glory/don't care about their safety. I agree with what Ritchie said, these guys are just guys who are into it, as someone who doesn't even enjoy watching it you could never understand why someone would do it for no money but these guys love it and nothing makes them happier than to do this sick shit that the fans love.

I'm 32 this year and I only started trainging in MMA just before my 29th birthday and I've gotten injuries from it. Yeah you get some decent money, but I'm also paying 45 quid a month to train at the gym. It is something that I do actually enjoy and there's a goal at the end of having that fight in front of a crowd, the last event for the place I worked at seemed to attract more people and that is on a Sunday night with the majority paying 25 notes a pop for tickets. I know a quarter of what is taken goes to the club owner plus drinks. The rest is spread through the 16 guys or so who are fighting with win bonuses on top. With the promoters ploughing most of that cash back into the gyms anyway.

Everyone who is fighting has to have blood tests beforehand, though being it's over here we all just booked into the clap clinic and got it done for nowt. There's also the St Johns ambulance at the event, who will treat minor cuts and ice up and bad bruising. Theses deathmatches seem to be completely unregulated from what I've read, with no blood tests done. Looking at related videos on youtube with bits where people are throwing thelves off 12 foot ladders onto hard floors seems even more dangerous than having someone cut you and that's just dumbfounding to me.

I don't think ive watched any (or very few) deathmatches since the TOD when Gage got his injury.

Any recommendations from then onwards? Do CZW still have one on nearly every show? Ive heard CZW has improved alot the last few years, so i might start watching again.

I do think some of the spots these days are a bit too much. Saying that how long ago was that garden strimmer on Mondo?! And i still thinks thats up there with the craziest stuff ever done in wrestling.

This is a coincedence, as last week I spent a fair bit of time on THIS guys page, watching a shit load of death match vids. Its a great page, as its all just highlights/replays, so you dont have to watch all the boring stuff in-between the bumps.

This was probably the most memorable one I saw:

The guy genuinely gets fucking stabbed in the arm. Id say its sicker than anything else in this thread so far. Im like most people who find it fascinating that this guy willlingly got stabbed in the arm, plus took some other big bumps (the one at the end where he lands hard on his head in particular), all for probably less than $100, and in front of less than 100 people. Crazy.

That site could provide a game. Who can find the most insane bump infront of the smallest crowd? My nomination, after a quick glance, is

. Thumbtack bat shots to head infront of what must be about 20 people. Must be better ones than that, mind.

Anyone got any links to some good thumbtack bat shots to the head? Ive seen Insane Lane take a brutal one before (where they also went into his shoulders), but cant find it now.

Deathmatch wrestling to me is just one massive cult. Nobody on earth would consider doing this for money. Everybody want's to be known as the baddest motherfucker in wrestling. Some of the stuff I just consider adult backyard wrestling, where the guy's have some cash and decided to try and make it 'legit'. Then you've actually got the good wrestlers like Moxley which I had no idea untill now that he did any deathmatch stuff. Which is a shock to me cause why would WWE hire somebody when you type him name into youtube and you can see him cutting himself up in front of 100 people in a backyard? Insane.

I do enjoy the annual Cage of Death when it comes available to download, but some of the stuff posted in this thread is beyond stupid and fucking horrendous.

All right, I've got my wince on already, does someone wanna tell me a couple of 'Bulldozer' Matt Tremont spots?

I've seen him get drawing pins and Kenzans smashed into his skull on several occassions.

He's taken bodyslams off the top rope onto shopping trolleys and the like and, yes, there was that sick bed of nails spot.

• Paid Members
Does anybody know what the pay was like for this stuff in Japan in its FMW heyday? Does Foley mention what he got paid for doing that stuff? The crowds they got were pretty fantastic so I would imagine the payouts would have reflected that to a certain extent.

IIRC, Foley was quite critical (and rightly so) of his payday for the King of the Deathmatch tournament in 1995. In that one night, he wrestled three matches in which he was thrown into barbed wire, blown up and had thumbtacks embedded into his face and neck. He was paid either $300 or $500 (I forget which) for all that.

That was just one night though. I'd imagine his payoff's for FMW were a lot better than that.

• Paid Members

Nick Mondo said he made $200 for TOD 2. That's the night he received such a massive wound to the back that the on-site medic said it was comparable to a gun shot wound. He also wrestled 3 matches that night with an already broken wrist, got a concussion, thrown off a building, hit a somersault plancha and landed spine first on a ladder, and had about 100 hundred lighttubes smashed over him.

TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!

• Paid Members

What's happened with Mondo? Last I heard, he was trying to be director or something and trying to downplay his past in wrestling. He seemed quite embarassed to be involved in all those deathmatches.

• Moderators

I could see why he might want to be a director... I know he works/worked at Blockbusters, and he used to shoot lots of handicam, mostly Jackass-style, stuff with his mates.

In fact, the documentary about him is a lot better than you might expect it to be, just because of the amount of footage he had laying around anyway. (and, to give him his due as an aspiring director, if he cut it together, it tells a story pretty coherently and accessibly).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I got the Mondo documentary off of XWT several months ago. Jesus, how awful was that! I wanted to see it so bad when I was in my teens aswell. Just awful.

• Moderators

I saw it several years ago, back when I was into the deathmatches. I guess my memory is being a big generous on it, because it was better than I expected it to be.

The bit where his mate accidentally shoots himself with a firework is fucking hilarious though, and that is something I'm sure of!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I have to say, I would've paid good money to watch that documentary when I was about 16/17. I'm sure I would've loved it aswell. Chest, do yourself a favour and don't revisit it.