The Ultimate Fighter Season 15: 'Cruz vs Faber' Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Good stuff overall though. Some great finishes there. The broken toe was nasty.

AnmVe90CQAALBee_large.jpg

Urghhh

I agree with jim's post on episode 1. I get what they were doing but it was kind of overkill. There were good points though. Cristiano 'Krazy Horse Slayer' Marcello's win was a highlight for me, as was Justin Lawrence's fight. He stood out as far as making a first impression. The quick KO's were nice aswell.

Once the in house stuff starts we'll get to know who's the good guys and who the dickheads are and business will pick up then. I think last season's elimination fights set the bar a bit too high for this one to follow but it was pretty good overall I thought.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed it lots. What amazed me is that those 20 second intro's can make you want one guy to win or lose straight away. For example, as soon as you saw that moustache guy, I wanted that guy to lose. One guy said he loves going to a club and knowing he can kick everyones ass there (want him to lose). Another said he didnt just want to win, he wanted to hurt the other guy (want him to lose). For most of the fights, there was always one guy who instantly came across as a dick, which made the fights interesting.

• Moderators
I enjoyed it lots. What amazed me is that those 20 second intro's can make you want one guy to win or lose straight away. For example, as soon as you saw that moustache guy, I wanted that guy to lose. One guy said he loves going to a club and knowing he can kick everyones ass there (want him to lose). Another said he didnt just want to win, he wanted to hurt the other guy (want him to lose). For most of the fights, there was always one guy who instantly came across as a dick, which made the fights interesting.

"I don't fight for myself, I fight for Christ. Everything I do is through Christ my savior. I can't lose, because I am blessed!"

*loses*

I agree it was overkill with the way they showed it, I'm not complaining as more fights to watch the better but it was exhausting viewing after 10 of so fights. I'm reserving judgement until a couple of episodes in (so they can work out the kinks) but hopefully the reality side of it all doesn't suffer, as that was what made the show great. The seasons with less in-house antics were the most dull ones, hopefully they find the right balance.

Delighted to see Andy Ogle get through, a few of my mates train with him regularly - by all accounts he is an absolutely hilarious guy so I'm expecting him to be the class-clown of the show. The guy he was facing was pretty naff though, worst BJJ technique I've seen in a long while.

• Paid Members

the show was kinda weird, 16 TUF fights in a row is definitly too much, the lack of commentary and stuff i think would be off-putting to the casual viewer, in the usual format it works because of the builup, but to have 16 random fights was kinda too much. It's the kind of thing i think that would be fine if it streamed online, but for TV it was just a bit strange.

Still, the fights were actually pretty good. Considering they were 1 rounders i expected a few more lay and pray type performances but there were few of them. Again though with 16 fights it just started to mesh after a while so names and some performances went over head.

I always make an early pick, and for me im taking the Cody McKenzie look-a-like wrestler dude (who apparently trains with McKenzie in Alaska), he had a Clay Guida-type style, i always fancy guys with that kinda relentless, wrestling based style.

Overall i can't be too harsh, the show did what it set it out for, it sorted out the roster and didn't prevent the audience from seeing anything. But in future i think perhaps two 1 hour shows would be better? i also think 1 round is harsh, it definitly favours certain fighters and doesn't really give fighters a chance to show what their all about. I'm pretty certain if them 32 fighters fought standard 3 round fights there would be some different results.

Episode two spoilers:

Great episode. In the live fight James Vick KTFO Daron Cruickshank with a knee. Cruickshank looked one of the better fighters in episode one out of those who won their fights to get in the house. Dominick Cruz made Team Faber look baddddddddddddddddd with the move he made at the end of the show.

What happened with the picks? My sky+ gave in as Cruz was telling Faber to pick his own guy.

Cheers

Faber didn't know who to pick, he asked his team who wanted to fight and no-one stepped up. Cruz then just ended up picking Marcello.

Great Episode

I am liking the new format. You could really feel for the guy who lost his Dad, I think the guy handled it very well. Dana was also very reasonable with him. I liked the brief argument between Cruz and Faber and the fight itself was suprising. The Live aspect helps a great deal.

TUF is usually good viewing, but even for the seies high standards this episode was outstanding.

• Paid Members

Enjoyable show. The Cruz/Faber argument felt quite forced, especially when Faber accepted the apology and just went on with his business - it reminded me of when King accepted Cole's apology after Backlash (or something) and they continued as if it didn't matter.

Felt bad for Cruickshank, you could clearly see he was a better fighter but he got caught and that's that.

Cruz was great at the end. Made Faber and his team look like big girls and his his guy out like ECW Taz.

Good episode missing the TUF theme (but might be on next week always like the TUF intros). What a knee talk. The new format is great they have a around 30 minutes to show some training which is nice for this series.

Keep it up UFC.

Did I actually hear during the Faber pick someong saying "don't look at me" during it? Faber must feel like he's coaching a bunch of pussies after that.

Great KO. I was thinking "Cruikshank is looking good again here" and then all of a sudden he got caught. Feel bad for him because the guy clearly has talent, so I hope that's not the last we see of him.

• Paid Members

This episode was great, but it feels that the live format means we get less pre-tape footage. All the house/training stuff seemed very short to me.

I was picking Cruickshank (who looks a lot like Dolph Zigger) all day too, Vick just seemed uncomfortable but then that knee came out of nowhere. The picks at the end were interesting. I thought Cruz had forgot that he was supposed to pick the opponent, but it just ended up with all of Faber's team looking shit scared of Cruz's number one pick and Faber questioning his team's intestinal fortitude. Pretty damn smart.

Archived