The Ultimate Fighter Season 15: 'Cruz vs Faber' Thread

wandshogun09

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A really good finale all in all I thought.

Ellenberger vs Kampmann

I enjoyed this, was really happy to see Kampmann win. I like both guys but I think Kampmann's been kind of the darkhorse of the 170 division. The word warrior gets chucked about willy nilly in MMA but Kampmann deserves the moniker. He never mentally folds and he's never out of a fight until it's officially over.

True to form Kampmann started slow and nearly got decapitated for it. After that round 1 kind of fizzled out a bit. Ellenberger seemed content to just hold him down, I think he was trying to just pace himself for a long fight. Round 2 Kampmann fucking brought it. You've gotta love the man. He kinda fought different tonight, he's usually more of a counter striker on the feet but he was more aggressive this time and although it was risky it paid off.

Great finish too, fuck the booers. I've got no problems with Mazzagatti's stoppage in this one. Ellenberger was done. Kampmann wiped him out with that last knee and even after he walked away Ellenberger didn't really move. He was still lying there hugging himself. Good stoppage. Again, fuck the booers.

Kampmann vs Hendricks will be good but to be honest I think Kampmann deserves a shot at Condit. GSP isn't gonna be back until late this year/early next so there's time to do that.

Chiesa vs Iaquinta

Chiesa did it again. I thought Iaquinta would win this but Chiesa proves once again you can't count out a guy with that kind of heart. I though Chiesa could possibly grind out a decision but I didn't expect him to take Iaquinta out in that fashion. What a feelgood story. It reminds me of Buster Douglas beating Tyson after his mom dying.

Oliveira vs Brookins

Oliveira looked really good. This was always gonna be an uphill battle for Brookins because he's lacking on the feet and taking a lethal submission artist like Oliveira down is like playing Russian Roulette. Brookins' striking defence isn't great either which didn't help. Nice submission finish.

Oliveira could be a future title challenger for Aldo. Built up right that could be a good title fight to put on a Brazil card in the future.

Holloway vs Schilling

I liked this performance from Holloway. The comparison to Pettis makes sense but he kinda reminds me of Terry Etim a lot aswell in his striking style. He wasn't able to finish but he came close a couple of times with them brutal body shots. And whenever he had a chance to try to finish he went for it.

Dominant showing, and at 20 years old the future is bright for him. He'll only improve. With more work on his grappling over the next few years he could be one to keep an eye on.

Lawrence vs Cofer

Cofer did surprisingly well in the first two rounds I thought. He did a decent job on the feet in round 1 and got the takedown in round 2. I had them a round a piece going into the third. Once Lawrence started to find his range and timing though it was just a matter of time. That finishing headkick was fucking awesome.

Should get KO of the night for sure.

Prelims were full of finishes. Can't be arsed to get into all of them now but there were no bad fights imo. I will say though, once again, Kim Winslow is FUCKING SHIT. Albert vs Perez was shaping up to be a cracking fight and she fucking ruined it with that stoppage. Albert has a legit complaint there that she robbed him of his chance to win that fight because although the armbar looked pretty deep, at the time of the stoppage he was working to escape. We'll never know if he could have now because Zombie Winslow fucked up. Again.

Real good night of fights.

I will say though, once again, Kim Winslow is FUCKING SHIT. Albert vs Perez was shaping up to be a cracking fight and she fucking ruined it with that stoppage. Albert has a legit complaint there that she robbed him of his chance to win that fight because although the armbar looked pretty deep, at the time of the stoppage he was working to escape. We'll never know if he could have now because Zombie Winslow fucked up. Again.

Yep, Winslow's terrible.

tumblr_m4tgu9mj2W1qdftf9o1_500.jpg

Good night of fights. Didn't expect the two top fights to end so quickly, with Chiesa's style I figured it was going to a decision. Nice feel-good moment for him to get the first round sub, I assume that's the reason he got the bonus, as Oliveira's finish was much more impressive. I also expected a 5 round war with Kampmann and Ellenberger, but nice action while it lasted. I've heard people say the stoppage was too quick, but those knees connected clean and Jake was laying there for a good minute or so after it was called.

My personal highlight was seeing Oliveira run through Brookins like he did (even though it highlights that TUF winners appear to be not as good as they used to be). 145 is perfect for Oli, been a fan since his debut, hoping he becomes a serious contender. Oliveira vs. Aldo would be a sick fight in maybe a year's time.

Iaquinta seemed to loose that way too easily something just doesn't smell right. Specially how he walked through the season.

America TV shows seem to have a habit of people with a "sob" story going on to win the entire show over coming there backgrounds or issues within the show. Hells Kitchen USA being the major culprit.

What the fuck with the main event. Kampmann was getting hammered the ref did nothing, while Jake wasnt really hit or any time to recover. complete BS should of gone on longer.

Completely agree with Dana. Steve Mazagatti shouldnt be a ref and Kim Winslow shouldnt be allowed to ref too shes wasnt even watching those two finishes and took way too long to break up the submissions.

Iaquinta seemed to loose that way too easily something just doesn't smell right. Specially how he walked through the season.

America TV shows seem to have a habit of people with a "sob" story going on to win the entire show over coming there backgrounds or issues within the show. Hells Kitchen USA being the major culprit.

In all fairness, I really do not think that was a fix, if that is what you are implying.

I am ope minded to some fights being shady in MMA history, but UFC in this era would take some convincing.

The prelims will be getting watched tomorrow, but it was a decent night of fights. That Lawrence KO was sick, the thwack sound as his foot hit Cofer's head was loud. Holloway just dominated that fight, Schilling was just beaten from all the body blows, but as usual with the lower weight classes there wasn't a finish, even though there was still a clear winner. I do think Mazzagati stepped in a little quick in the Ellenberger/Kampman fight, he didn't have to leave it much longer if Kampman was soundly beating him, but he didn't even get one punch in on the ground. I had Iaquinta pegged to win the finale fight, but he'd not shown any sort of real ground game on the show and Chiesa's biggest chance was if he took it to the ground, which he did with a nasty RNC.

:laugh: You aren't serious, surely?

• Paid Members

Yeah there's no way the fight was fixed.

As nice a fairytale story as it was there's no chance Zuffa would put all the growth they've made in jeopardy by fixing fights. And I refuse to believe a young prospect like Iaquinta would go through the whole TUF process and all that involves just to get to the final and go 'Oh your dad died so I'll let you have this one old chap'. Not gonna happen, it was too big of an opportunity and the risks of doing something like that in today's MMA, if you were found out then it's pretty much career suicide. Wouldn't be worth bribe money or having a loss on your record in the long run.

I can't believe people still think it's going on, I mean it did in the early days but with the sport where it's at now nobody's gonna be that stupid.

• Paid Members

I still feel it was unfair that all the guys went straight into the finale a week after fighting. I like the idea of em getting a chance to go home to train for 6 weeks before the finale. The live concept stops it from happening though :(

Archived