Mania MOTN Marathon

Jason Mayhem

I would love to say i have the time to watch each mania in turn as a run up to Wrestlemania each year, but the fact is I dont, however I have decided to watch one match from each mania consecutively as a way to build up the the event.

Been interesting actually to notice some stuff.... for me savage was the MVP of a lot of early manias... also the Bret Hart heel turn took an entire year to fully develop.

Anyways....

So far this has been pretty easy to choose the best match from each event and in some instances (WM9 and WM11) been tough to pick a decent match out of the crap, however, I am up to WM14 and cant choose which one to go for...... seemingly match quality seems to improved over the period and I think it's gonna be harder to pick just one decent match from each one from here on in.

Anyways for the record, this is what I have chosen so far...

WM1 - Hogan & T v Orndorf and Piper

WM2 - Bulldogs V Dreamteam

WM3 - Savage V Steamboat

WM4 - Savage V Million Dollar Man

WM5 - Savage V Hogan

WM6 - Hogan V Warrior

WM7 - Rockers V Haku & Barbarian (this was a tough one, but just pipped Savage V Warrior)

WM8 - Savage v Flair

WM9 - Tatanka V Michaels (best of a bad bunch??)

WM10 - Bret V Owen

WM11 - Michaels V Deisel (really awful mania)

WM12 - Bret v Michaels

WM13 - Bret V Austin

... and that is where I am up to.

Interested to see what your lists would be and what recommendations you guys have for upcoming manias I am yet to watch. Intesting to see what trends come out of it!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It seems to get a lot of mixed reviews on here, and I've only seen it in retrospect as I wasn't watching at the time, but I think HBK v Austin from 14 is a bloody cracking match. 16 hasn't got many candidates so as such I would opt for the Hardyz v Dudleyz v Edge and Christian Triangle Ladder match which is a brilliant match with some excellent spots throughout the entire thing

• Paid Members
It seems to get a lot of mixed reviews on here, and I've only seen it in retrospect as I wasn't watching at the time, but I think HBK v Austin from 14 is a bloody cracking match. 16 hasn't got many candidates so as such I would opt for the Hardyz v Dudleyz v Edge and Christian Triangle Ladder match which is a brilliant match with some excellent spots throughout the entire thing

Yeah watched some selected matches from WM16 a couple of nights ago, that match still amazes me. The 2 out of 3 falls triple threat with Angle, Benoit and Jericho was also fantastic though.

• Paid Members

Yeah watched some selected matches from WM16 a couple of nights ago, that match still amazes me. The 2 out of 3 falls triple threat with Angle, Benoit and Jericho was also fantastic though.

I've not seen that triple threat match since the original airing and have no idea if it was good or not, so I think I'll certainly be giving that a watch over the coming days.

• Paid Members

I like Outlaws V Funk/Cactus from W.M 14.

Not watched 15,16 or 17 in ages but 18 i would go for Rock V Hogan. 19 i would go with Brock/Angle or Hardy/Rey for a mix up.

20 is so/so in my eyes the triple threat match bores me to tears.

This is my ideal list, remember that opinions and tastes differ, so try not to go to hard on me for not picking Savage/Steamboat for example.

1: Hulk Hogan & Mr. T Vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper & Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff

2: Hulk Hogan Vs. King Kong Bundy (Steel Cage)

3: Danny Davis & The Hart Foundation Vs. Tito Santana & The British Bulldogs

4: Macho Man Randy Savage Vs. The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase (Tournament Final)

5: The Twin Towers Vs. The Rockers

6: Demolition Vs. Haku & Andre The Giant

7: The Ultimate Warrior Vs. Macho King Randy Savage

8: Shawn Michaels Vs. El Matador Tito Santana

9: The Steiner Brothers Vs. The Headshrinkers

10: Razor Ramon Vs. Shawn Michaels (Ladder Match)

11: Lawrence Taylor Vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

12: Vader, Owen Hart & The British Bulldog Vs. Ahmed Johnson, Yokozuna & Jake The Snake Roberts

13: Bret Hitman Hart Vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

14: Shawn Michaels Vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

15: The Rock Vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

16: Edge & Christian Vs. The Dudley Boyz Vs. The Hardy Boyz (Triangle Ladder Match)

17: The Rock Vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin (No DQ)

18: The Rock Vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan

19: Shawn Michaels Vs. Chris Jericho

20: Chris Benoit Vs. Triple H Vs. Shawn Michaels

21: Kurt Angle Vs. Shawn Michaels

22: John Cena Vs. Triple H

23: John Cena Vs. Shawn Michaels

24: The Undertaker Vs. Edge

25: The Undertaker Vs. Shawn Michaels

26: The Undertaker Vs. Shawn Michaels

27: The Undertaker Vs. Triple H (No Holds Barred)

• Paid Members
I like Outlaws V Funk/Cactus from W.M 14.

Not watched 15,16 or 17 in ages but 18 i would go for Rock V Hogan. 19 i would go with Brock/Angle or Hardy/Rey for a mix up.

20 is so/so in my eyes the triple threat match bores me to tears.

No No No; the WrestleMania 20 main event was fucking brilliant and that's despite the fact the emotional favourite is now a kiddie murderer. I'm glad Lesnar/Angle gets a mention as it's another one I feel doesn't get enough credit and is often over-shadowed by HBK/Y2J, although that's very good too.

As bad as it sounds from 21 onwards I'd stick to Undertaker's matches (with the exception of 22, go for HHH vs. Cena or HBK vs. McMahon) before that, Austin vs. Michaels at 14, 15 was terrible for actual wrestling so I'd go Hardcore 3 way, 16 has been mentioned, 17 Austin vs. Rock personifies a wrestlemania main event, 18 I'd go Rock/Hogan, 19. HBK vs. Jericho and 20 Rock & Sock vs. Evolution.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd willingly not watch Warrior vs. Savage, it is story telling at it's finest.

I've just finished watching wrestlemanias 4 through 8 and he really was Wrestlemania MVP in the early days I forgot how good Randy Savage was!

Hmmmm lets see, thinking cap on now as i havent seen Mania's 1-5 for years

Wrestlemania - Hulk Hogan and Mr T vs Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff

Wrestlemania II - The NFL-WWF Battle Royal

Wrestlemania III - Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat

Wrestlemania IV - Ted DiBiase vs Randy Savage

Wrestlemania V - Randy Savage vs Hulk Hogan

WrestlemaniaVI - Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior

Wrestlemania VII - Randy Savage vs The Ultimate Warrior (any other answer is wrong)

Wrestlemania VIII - Roddy Piper vs Bret Hart

Wrestlemania IX - The Steiner Brothers vs The Headshrinkers (The one saving grace for this card)

Wrestlemania X - Owen Hart vs Bret Hart (An insanely tough choice between this and the ladder match but this just, just edges it)

Wrestlemania XI - Diesel vs Shawn Michaels ('Mania XI was the worst of them all, not one decent match on the whole card, this was the best of a very, very bad lot)

Wrestlemania XII - Roddy Piper vs Goldust (Hollywood Backlot Brawl) - (for its time it was just absolutely brutal, holds up pretty well too)

Wrestlemania 13 - Bret Hart vs Steve Austin (Submission Match) - The match that helped change the industry

Wrestlemania XIV - Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Owen Hart

Wrestlemania XV - X-Pac vs Shane McMahon - (Ive always found that watching 1998-1999 WWF ppv's back an absolute chore, there is so much utter shit on the cards, this match though is a testemant as to how awesome a worker Waltman was back in the day, he was the only thing worth watching on ppv)

Wrestlemania 2000 - The Dudley Boys vs The Hardy Boyz vs Edge and Christian (Triple Threat Ladder Match)

Wrestlemania X-Seven - The Rock vs Steve Austin (No Disqualification Match) - (the perfect way to end the attitude era, altough turning Austin heel in Texas was never going to work)

Wrestlemania X8 - The Undertaker vs Ric Flair (No Disqualification Match) - I love this match, heel American Badass was amazing, Flair didnt completely suck at this point, and THAT spinebuster from Arn Anderson.

Wrestlemania XIX - Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho (This was my dream match and it didnt let me down i loved it then, I love it now and I will always love it)

Wrestlemania XX - Triple H vs Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels - (its a shame it will never be shown again because its the greatest triple threat that they have ever done)

Wrestlemania 21 - Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels

Wrestlemania 22 - John Cena vs Triple H - (Cena's first truly great match and he's had numerous since)

Wrestlemania 23 - John Cena vs Shawn Michaels

Wrestlemania XXIV - Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels (At the time it looked like the perfect send off, but Slic Ric's need for dollars has tainted its legacy)

Wrestlemania 25th Anniversary - The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (When Shawn kicked out of the tombstone i jumped out my seat, it was like I was 9 years old again, totally amazing)

Wrestlemania XXVI - The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels (Streak vs Career) - (Not as good as the previous years match but still miles above anything else on the show)

Wrestlemania XXVII - The Undertaker vs Triple H (No Holds Barred match) - (fantastic story telling by two of the very best)

Man, now i'm totally pumped for this year's Mania

• Paid Members
Wrestlemania XX - Triple H vs Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels - (its a shame it will never be shown again because its the greatest triple threat that they have ever done)

I always say it but the Backlash re-match is a thing of beauty as well, especially with the Hebner screwjob teases

• Paid Members

Just as you mentioned doing this, i actually have been watching one wrestlemania a week leading into this years mania. I started back in the tail end of last year, and am up to 24 i think this week (due to being away from home for holidays etc, i've watched ahead a little bit, so i should be on target). So i'm actually tied of wreslting, i might just do one particular match set next year (Takers Streak, etc.)

I would say most of this is about right, (one ammended in bold):

WM1 - Hogan & T v Orndorf and Piper

WM2 - Bulldogs V Dreamteam

WM3 - Savage V Steamboat

WM4 - Savage V Million Dollar Man

WM5 - Savage V Hogan

WM6 - Hogan V Warrior

WM7 - Warrior/Savage

WM8 - Piper/Hart

WM9 - Tatanka V Michaels (best of a bad bunch??)

WM10 - Bret V Owen

WM11 - Michaels V Deisel (really awful mania)

WM12 - Bret v Michaels

WM13 - Bret V Austin

With WM14: Maybe the dumpster match

WM15: I'd say either Rock/Austin 1 or Holly/Gunn/Snow (for what its worth i love that match)

WM16: Foley/Rock/Triple H/Show

WM17: Austin/Rock 2 or Taker/Triple H 1

WM 18: Hogan/Rock or Taker/flair

WM 19:either Booker T/Triple H - love the match or Hogan/Vince for the piper run in.

WM20: Benoit/Triple H/Shawn

WM 21: Mysterio/Guerrero (sp?)

WM 22: Angle/Orton/Mysterio - (Regardless of the crappy angle, it was a decent match)

WM 23: Taker/Batista

WM 24: Taker/Edge

WM 25: Matt Vs Jeff or Taker/Shawn 1

WM 26: Taker/Shawn 2

WM 27: Taker/Triple H 2

Great responses so far, thanks.

See I know when it gets to 25 in gonna go with Jericho V Piper, Snuka and Steamboat.

Seeing the Dragon turn back the clock gave me proper goosebumps and a genuine lump in my throat! (gay!!)

Steamboat was one of my favs as a kid to be fair. (still gay though!)

• Paid Members

I'll go with

1. Hogan & Mr T vs Piper & Orndorff

2. Bulldogs vs Valentine & Beefcake

3. Savage vs Steamboat

4. Savage vs DiBiase

5. Rockers vs Twin Towers

6. Hogan vs Warrior

7. Warrior vs Savage

8. Hart vs Piper (slightly pipped Savage vs Flair for me)

9. Steiners vs Headshrinkers

10. Bret vs Owen (slightly ahead of the ladder match)

11. Diesel vs Michaels

12. Taker vs Diesel (think this is a bit underrated myself and I loved the feud)

13. Bret vs Austin (although I do love the Chicago Street Fight aswell)

14. Triple H vs Owen

15. Austin vs Rock

16. Edge & Christian vs Hardys vs Dudleys

17. Austin vs Rock

18. Hogan vs Rock

19. Michaels vs Jericho

20. Triple H vs Michaels vs Benoit

21. Michaels vs Angle

22. Cena vs Triple H

23. Taker vs Batista (fucking loved this, big surprise how great it turned out and the rest of their matches were top notch aswell)

24. Michaels vs Flair

25. Taker vs Michaels

26. Taker vs Michaels

I didn't see last year's Mania

• Paid Members

Without derailing the thread too much, was WM9 THAT bad? HBK/Tatanka was great, as was Steiners/Headshrinkers. I thought Crush/Doink was a fun little match with a cracking twist at the end. I haven't seen Yokozuna/Hitman for ages, though, but I enjoyed that a lot at the time. Hmm.

Archived