William Melvin "Bill" Hicks

Flash

18yrs ago today we lost one of the best comedians of all time, a voice which is sorely missed in this shitter world we live, rest in peace bill hicks, u will never b forgotten.

Are you a fan of bill hicks, if so why and whats your fav joke/routine

I am so sick of Bill Hicks mania. He was a fantastic comedian, but most of the people who go on about him now probably weren't even aware of his existence when he was alive. Stop putting him on a pedestal, he'd have hated that.

I am so sick of Bill Hicks mania. He was a fantastic comedian, but most of the people who go on about him now probably weren't even aware of his existence when he was alive. Stop putting him on a pedestal, he'd have hated that.

Yeah. That Jimi Hendrix's music should be put in a time capsule. It's not as good if you never heard it before 1970. Same goes for Nirvana, The Doors, Jeff Buckley etc. In other words - wank.

RIP Bill.

Yeah. That Jimi Hendrix's music should be put in a time capsule. It's not as good if you never heard it before 1970. Same goes for Nirvana, The Doors, Jeff Buckley etc. In other words - wank.

RIP Bill.

As Stewart Lee said in his new show, "I wish I died like Bill Hicks so I could be judged solely on two hours worth of material".

As someone who had a Hicks avatar for years, I'm with Loki on this one. However, the world lost a great one when Bill died.

As Stewart Lee said in his new show, "I wish I died like Bill Hicks so I could be judged solely on two hours worth of material".

As someone who had a Hicks avatar for years, I'm with Loki on this one. However, the world lost a great one when Bill died.

I think don't think anyone thinks Bill Hicks is the world's greatest comedian (anymore). I think the major attraction to his work and the most hysterical of his fanbase tend to be young adult males. I discovered Hicks when I was about 16-17 and I really went for all the drug humour in a big way. I also used his bullshit lines about smoking being cool to justify my habit. Almost six years on, I am a helpless addict. So yeah, maybe he isn't the second coming.

• Paid Members
He wasn't even that good anyway.

TripleA's return to his old persona - just about complete. And you can put that in UKFFNews!

I'm a huge Hicks fan - he was truly great stand-up comedian, one of the very best I expect to ever hear, but I do think that his impact has been somewhat over-estimated and I agree with Loki on this.

Good to see George Carlin get a mention here. Last month I watched and listened to almost everything there is of him on YouTube and he was a better all-round comedian than Hicks was. As politically astute and aware, but also capable of really silly routines that were just meant to be really funny and nothing more, especially in his early days. Just a wonderful comedian.

I think don't think anyone thinks Bill Hicks is the world's greatest comedian (anymore). I think the major attraction to his work and the most hysterical of his fanbase tend to be young adult males. I discovered Hicks when I was about 16-17 and I really went for all the drug humour in a big way. I also used his bullshit lines about smoking being cool to justify my habit. Almost six years on, I am a helpless addict. So yeah, maybe he isn't the second coming.

I think his drug stuff is secondary to his political/social stuff to be honest, although the two are intertwined to some degree. I don't suppose you saw that stage show about Hicks a few years back where he was portrayed as an angel commenting on current stuff? I totally avoided that and I'm yet to see the doc that came out a few years back about him. I feel that all of the ground has been covered about him to be honest.

I think his drug stuff is secondary to his political/social stuff to be honest, although the two are intertwined to some degree. I don't suppose you saw that stage show about Hicks a few years back where he was portrayed as an angel commenting on current stuff? I totally avoided that and I'm yet to see the doc that came out a few years back about him. I feel that all of the ground has been covered about him to be honest.

I did see the stage show. I just found it hard to take to cos it wasn't Bill Hicks. The documentary is pretty good but it's stylised to such a degree that it can drag a bit. If you have read the "Agent of Evolution" biography that was written by Kevin Booth/Dwight Slade etc then you won't find any new information in the doc. In fact, most of the best stories from that book aren't even necessarily about Bill. Some of the insight into guys like Sam Kinison are even more interesting.

Archived