Skiing holidays

Dai

Who here has been on a skiing holiday? Thinking about going on one later in the year, and wanted to get peoples thoughts on the ones they've been on. Considering I have never skied before, Id be more interested in peoples first skiing trips. Are skiing trips generally overpriced? Would snowboarding be out of the question for someone who has never been on proper ski's? Ive seen organised day trips where you are basically cross-country skiing. Again, would this be impossible for a beginner? That sort of thing would interest me quite a bit.

It's pricey, but totally worth it.

You can go straight in to snowboarding or skiing, but personally I'd learn to ski first. I didn't enjoy boarding so much, a lot of trudging back up slopes to lifts. I'd also not recommend doing cross-country until you're a decent skier at least.

You can get great deals last-minute, usually to shared chalets. Get a few mates together if possible, it's cheaper again with a few of you. Don't forget that you'll need to spend a few hundred on ski/boot hire and lift passes too once you get out there.

Best thing about skiing is the eating - you can eat as much as you like and you'll burn it off.

• Paid Members

Look for somewhere with a good selection of runs, you will want blue and red as a learner. Leave the black runs until you have some experience. Only go for the cross country if you are pretty fit. As someone who knows from bitter experience of being a fat lad, cross country is a killer.

Archived