WWE $8.6 million net loss

moofasa

• Paid Members
He's done fantastic with the WWE, but it's a company that he grew up with and that was handed down to him.

He bought it from his Dad, but he was the one who took it national. He Dad had fuck all to do with selling 80,000 tickets at Wembley Stadium. When Vince dies, Stephanie will have the company handed down to her. Vince Jr rolled the dice on the WWF becoming a global promotion. It could have easily fucked up in his face.

I'd definitely want to watch it, as would most people on here probably would, but outside wrestling fans what other public interest would there be in it?

Considering its a wrestling based network, targetted to the fans who watch Raw and Smackdown, I'd say they werent targetting anyone other than wrestling fans.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I never knew that Vince bought the company from his dad, but I did give him credit for expanding the WWE and making it what it is. He has done extremely well in that aspect. I made the point that wrestling is something that he grew up with. In regards to the WWE Network, would just targetting wrestling fans be worthwhile considering that ratings aren't the highest with today's product? If the product was as hot as it has been in the past it could be a promising venture for them, but it's not so I'm not sure if it'd make them a lot of profit here in 2012.

• Paid Members

He didn't grow up in it. He was raised by his mother and step Dad who beat the shit out of him on a regular basis. He only got into wrestling because his Dad (who was to busy fucking dirty women and promoting wrestling to see him most of the time) needed a ring announcer. Vince looked at wrestling different from everyone else and took it into a million different areas. McMahon didnt do it all himself and he's had some bad ideas come off, but his vision is essentially 90% of my childhood. If there wasnt a Vince McMahon, there would have been a Hogan, Savage and Piper. But there's a chance none of us would have heard of them, because his platform was so massive, it broke the wrestling business into pop culture. Movies, bodybuilding and American Football isnt his forte. For the spin offs from the WWE brand is unbelievable. The figures are as iconic to me as any Batman toys. The computer games are huge. The DVDs and VHS releases sold by the truck load. And he's respected by TV executives who constantly kept his television shows on the air for the last 30 years. Who else can say that?

The argument is there that the wrestling business was healthier pre-1983, but there's no argument Vince McMahon's bank account is worse off. He is the business, more or less. Sure WWE isnt what it once was, but what TV show is?

The dolls. I've never understood the fascination with the dolls, especially past the age of 14.

Why 14, of all ages?

Girls come into the equation in a big way at that point to be fair...

By girls, I assume you mean Highlander. Fair point, but then when you get big, you have your own money for more dolls.

What are you chatting about? Vince is a phenomenal businessman. His problem, like many others, is that his efforts to diversify have not often been a success. In terms of his core business, he's a proven winner.

No he isnt.

As a businessman, he sucks. He's failed at a lot more projects than he he's succeeded in. You wouldn't appoint him to run any other type of business.

He has taken risks that have paid off and done things that others were not willing, or didnt have the vision to do. Fortunately the risks paid off, however WWE could have fallen on its arse on more than one occasion.

A chancer and balls enough to take risks - Yes.... Good businessman.... No.

So could have practically every major multinational company in history. Apple could have fallen on its arse on more than one occasion, but it didn't (for the most part) due to good vision, design and leadership, something which Vince has given to WWE over the years. What a ridiculous statement.

Incidentally the share price hasn't taken a massive hit after the announcement, so the years of giving out inflated dividends seems to have paid off for them. Fair one.

THANK YOU. I often use Apple as the comparison to wwe. Apple constantly fucked up as they attempted to diversify, and it was decades of trying until they landed on they're new cash cow, the iPod.

Just because wwe failed in diversifying before, doesn't mean they should stop trying. At some point they could very well catch the preferbial lightning in their bottle and score a winner.

At least wwe, unlike many companies, take chances. Ultimately NOT taking chances is what leads many businesses to failing in the long run.

I'm pretty sure every major promotion is on the losing end nowadays as wrestling isn't a highly profitable product anymore.

This just in!!! "Wrestling isn't as popular as it used to be".

:omg:

What other major promotions are you talking about?

Of course it's nothing new, that's why I don't understand what's the point of getting suprised WWE are on the losing end.

Other major promotions? New Japan (not sure about them), All Japan, NOAH, CMLL, AAA.

• Paid Members

New Japan draws 500 people at house shows and isnt even on prime time TV in Japan anymore. Noah's doing even worse than that. CMLL and AAA are doing well in Mexico, but who the fuck outside the country of Mexico knows or cares about them. Konnan even says they have to structure their whole business around what WWE does, because WWE is the top promotion in the country, and murders them in every area of business. There's only one major promotion in the world, and thats the WWE. The rest are millions of miles behind.

What are you chatting about? Vince is a phenomenal businessman. His problem, like many others, is that his efforts to diversify have not often been a success. In terms of his core business, he's a proven winner.

No he isnt.

As a businessman, he sucks. He's failed at a lot more projects than he he's succeeded in. You wouldn't appoint him to run any other type of business.

He has taken risks that have paid off and done things that others were not willing, or didnt have the vision to do. Fortunately the risks paid off, however WWE could have fallen on its arse on more than one occasion.

A chancer and balls enough to take risks - Yes.... Good businessman.... No.

So could have practically every major multinational company in history. Apple could have fallen on its arse on more than one occasion, but it didn't (for the most part) due to good vision, design and leadership, something which Vince has given to WWE over the years. What a ridiculous statement.

Incidentally the share price hasn't taken a massive hit after the announcement, so the years of giving out inflated dividends seems to have paid off for them. Fair one.

THANK YOU. I often use Apple as the comparison to wwe. Apple constantly fucked up as they attempted to diversify, and it was decades of trying until they landed on they're new cash cow, the iPod.

Just because wwe failed in diversifying before, doesn't mean they should stop trying. At some point they could very well catch the preferbial lightning in their bottle and score a winner.

At least wwe, unlike many companies, take chances. Ultimately NOT taking chances is what leads many businesses to failing in the long run.

I agree with you able diversifying and evolving, however the BIG difference between Apple and WWE are that the guy who was the driving force behind Apple also went away from Apple and had massive success in other business ventures.

I'm not saying vince should stop trying however I don't see how he could be called a successful businessman when most of his ventures have failed.

The fact that his other ventures have fallen on their arse just proves to me that it was more of "right place and right time" with what he achieved with wwe rather than his business acumen.

• Paid Members
The fact that his other ventures have fallen on their arse just proves to me that it was more of "right place and right time" with what he achieved with wwe rather than his business acumen.

You need to explain the "right place, right time" thing a bit more, for me. I dont actually get what you mean by it. Nobody has even come close to doing what he did in wrestling, and the one federation that did come close was a billionaire with an agenda against him (Ted Turner) and the people running that promotion eventually got murdered. The one promotion to beat Vince McMahon is now sitting in a filing cabnet in Titan Towers with "WCW is a trademark of WWE Inc." on the bottom of it.

Most of his ventures have been labours of love. The XFL, the movies and the bodybuilding federations had massive "this is shit" stamps on it before he even started them, but he was a mark for all three of those so decided to do it anyway because A) he loved it and B) he could afford it. Gene Simmons was once asked "why did you put out (random tasteless product that died on its arse)?" and he replied "because I can". If McMahon didnt have a pot to piss in, do you think he would even attempt any of those projects? He was also running the largest wrestling promotion in the world when he stepped into those ventures. Wrestling is his bread and butter and nobody has touched them.

I do think that if he didn't have a pot to piss in, he would still risk. Before the wrestling he had the Evil Kaneval stunt ppv which he funded on credit and died on its arse and likewise with Wrestlemania on credit with sucess beyond his dreams. He did take the risks, like an intrepeur and the main one payed off. But a true businessman never stops thinking of ways to make money. 75% probaly won't make money don't want to risk don't be in business, collect a wage.

• Paid Members
CMLL and AAA are doing well in Mexico, but who the fuck outside the country of Mexico knows or cares about them.

Ever heard of Mexican Americans?

Didnt release every Mexican American was a lucha fan. Last I heard, the Mexican Americans hero is Rey Rey, not Heavy Metal or whoever is headlining these days.

CMLL and AAA are doing well in Mexico, but who the fuck outside the country of Mexico knows or cares about them.

Ever heard of Mexican Americans?

Didnt release every Mexican American was a lucha fan. Last I heard, the Mexican Americans hero is Rey Rey, not Heavy Metal or whoever is headlining these days.

I'm really out of the loop with anything post-2007 when it comes to the Lucha scene, but aren't CMLL still on a nationwide broadcast with the yanks version of Fox Sports?

• Paid Members

It was on the Fox foreign channel a while ago (dont know if it still is), but Smokey Moutain Wrestling was on DSF in the UK years ago. Still doesnt make CMLL a major promotion in the grand scheme of things. People have to still follow it, and CMLL isnt big in the states at all. No fucker in Mexico has any money. Their business isnt half as hot as it was a few years back. When the economy is knackered, the only one that doesnt suffer to badly is the big boys. TNA's a major promotion, because of the licensing and international distribution and the fact they on a big station, but even they are small compared to WWE. Its still a monster.

TNA's a major promotion, because of the licensing and international distribution and the fact they on a big station, but even they are small compared to WWE. Its still a monster.

Of course, but those promotions are still considered major in there country/continent.

I mean just take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoUNgCGsNH4

How would you call a company that is kinda struggling but still manages to drew more than 42,000 spectators (which is what? $3-4 million in ticket sales) in Tokyo Dome when their product isn't as good as it once was? Minor? Insegnificent? Sure, why not - makes sense.

Archived