WWE $8.6 million net loss

moofasa

I hope no-one thinks "LOL WWE in trouble." They had a poor quarter, fine, but I'm sure there will be plenty in the coffers. This just means for one quarter, more went out than came in. I bet the balance sheet is very healthy.

This certainly wasn't meant as a let's all point and laugh at WWE losing money thread. More just wanted a debate on the success of the new network and the amount of money WWE pumps into movies. Always think of Mcmahon in Beyond the Mat saying he's in the movie business, he is now but is that at the expense of the wrestling company. Mmahon has proven himself as a very successful business man in the wrestling world. When he has stepped out of that world the same cannot be said.

Be interesting with Wrestlemania coming up how this year comes out, with more start up costs for the network and 30million planned to go to WWE films.

WWE said very little about the network, no start date, looking at the possibilty of shopping arund Legends House doesn't sound great.

I'm looking forward to the Network. I wouldn't miss WWE films in fact I'd be happy they wouldnt be ramming their latest offering down my throat while I'm trying to watch wrestling.

He recently changed from JAKKS to Mattel for his action figures. He had been with JAKKS since 96 i believe and even stuck with them during lawsuits between each other (im guessing due to contracts). JAKKS got lazy and started knocking repainted figures out, people in collecting circles got a bit pissed off, in 2010 WWE moved to Mattel and from what i have heard, from 1st quater 2010 - 1st quater 2011 WWE's merch sales jumped from something like 40 million to 50 million.

-Revenues in the toy division were down 15 percent. Barrios noted that WWE ranks in the top five brands in the United States in toys, but the overall business is suffering.

Are they sure it wasn't Michael Seitz? Otherwise known as Michael "P.S." Hayes.

Michael Weitz is the Chief Financial Officer for WWE. Michael Seitz is a freebird.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not collected figures in years so dont know but does WWE put as much effort into the current roster as it does the legends? Can you collect the roster for example? I only ever seem to see pics of Tully Blanchard or King Kong Bundy etc figures which kids cant be buying.

• Paid Members
Not collected figures in years so dont know but does WWE put as much effort into the current roster as it does the legends? Can you collect the roster for example? I only ever seem to see pics of Tully Blanchard or King Kong Bundy etc figures which kids cant be buying.

They still do them all, you can get the whole roster pretty much, but I never see them on sale here and when I was living in Canada I never really saw them either so I don't think they're as well distributed as they were.

See? figures are pretty up to date

• Paid Members

As others have stated, these are only figures for a single quarter of the year. The figures for the year as a whole are likely to be profitable.

The actual fall in quarterly revenue when directly compared to the same quarter last year may be something to watch, though, as it points to a general drop in interest levels surrounding the product.

There's far more emphasis on the current roster. Legends are very sporadic, since no fucker wants them. Every two months, they release in shops:

-Two waves of six basic figures. Generally one month it's standard releases of current wrestlers and one month based on a PPV. Sometimes the PPV one is a Heritage series -- like the WrestleMania Heritage that's just come out, which has Ultimate Warrior (WM4), John Cena (20), Undertaker (21), Triple H (I dunno, he looks the same as he does now, meant to be WM21 though I think but he hasn't got the beard for it), Swagger (27) and Eddie Guerrero (whichever WM he wore black tights). But the wave next month is just current figures of Miz, Alex Riley, Mark Henry, Ryder, Ziggler, Mysterio. I've heard they're not going to be doing any more Heritage series after this one that's out now.

-One wave of six elite figures. These are the ones with t-shirts and belts etc. One or two of the six will be a "Flashback" figure like Yokozuna or Bossman. The other four or five are current wrestlers. The latest series in shops has Cody Rhodes, Sheamus, Ziggler, Big Show, Mysterio and Flashback Brood Edge.

-One wave of three two-packs. These have pretty much all been current roster, except the one set that was CM Punk and Macho Man.

They do a load of Rumblers and Flexforce figures as well, which are all current roster.

Then for this year they're doing six Legends figures for sale online on Mattel's collector website, this is where they're selling Bundy, Tully and co.

They do exclusives every now and again through the Ringside Collectibles site as well. The ones so far have been Rey Mysterio (dressed up as The Flash), CM Punk (when he was bald with a mask), Kane (from when he was first unmasked), Macho King and Bret Hart.

I doubt that the WWE Network will ever get launched,$15-$20 million as startup costs?I'd reckon it would cost multiples of that to get it up and running.

To do it properly $15-$20 million would just about cover technical equipment and building or upgrading production facilities/media center etc,probably another $10 million or so to satelite uplink programming,not to mention the cost of developing and creating new programming,plus marketing costs,misc legal fees etc.

The fact that they are ''shopping around'' the new Legends House show to other networks pretty much confirms in my mind anyways that they have no intention of launching it because it's probably dawned on Vinny and co that it would just be a spectacular failure.

What are you chatting about? Vince is a phenomenal businessman. His problem, like many others, is that his efforts to diversify have not often been a success. In terms of his core business, he's a proven winner.

No he isnt.

As a businessman, he sucks. He's failed at a lot more projects than he he's succeeded in. You wouldn't appoint him to run any other type of business.

He has taken risks that have paid off and done things that others were not willing, or didnt have the vision to do. Fortunately the risks paid off, however WWE could have fallen on its arse on more than one occasion.

A chancer and balls enough to take risks - Yes.... Good businessman.... No.

• Paid Members
What are you chatting about? Vince is a phenomenal businessman. His problem, like many others, is that his efforts to diversify have not often been a success. In terms of his core business, he's a proven winner.

No he isnt.

As a businessman, he sucks. He's failed at a lot more projects than he he's succeeded in. You wouldn't appoint him to run any other type of business.

He has taken risks that have paid off and done things that others were not willing, or didnt have the vision to do. Fortunately the risks paid off, however WWE could have fallen on its arse on more than one occasion.

A chancer and balls enough to take risks - Yes.... Good businessman.... No.

So could have practically every major multinational company in history. Apple could have fallen on its arse on more than one occasion, but it didn't (for the most part) due to good vision, design and leadership, something which Vince has given to WWE over the years. What a ridiculous statement.

Incidentally the share price hasn't taken a massive hit after the announcement, so the years of giving out inflated dividends seems to have paid off for them. Fair one.

I would call Vince a great wrestling promoter but I wouldn't say that he was a good businessman. He's done fantastic with the WWE, but it's a company that he grew up with and that was handed down to him. The way it has become a part of popular culture and media for over 25 years is impressive, even if public interest does wane for periods of time. Outside wrestling, Vince has a pretty abysmal record in business with the likes of the XFL going out of business after one season and WWE Studios churning out garbage straight to DVD movies which I really can't seem them much money at all. Not even everything that he's tried within the realms of wrestling has worked, with the WCW Invasion being a shining example of this. Also, if it ever does get launched, I can't imagine that the WWE Network would be a massive success. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely want to watch it, as would most people on here probably would, but outside wrestling fans what other public interest would there be in it?

Archived