Strikeforce - Tate vs. Rousey * 3/3/2012

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Obvious spoilers

Really enjoyed this and it's largely down to the 4 women on the card. The women really deserve credit for them 2 fights.

Tate vs Rousey

The main event was fucking awesome. There was so much action it was like 5 rounds of action crammed into 1. Best women's fight I've ever seen and it's one of my favourite fights so far this year. It was the grappling equivolent of Diaz vs Daley from last year for me.

Ronda Rousey proved she's legit and although it might not have been the most classy post fight interview ever I like the heelish personality. And to be honest at least it shows that the pre-fight stuff wasn't all fake bullshit. That armbar was fucking brutal, Miesha showed a lot of guts not to tap but she should have just tapped quick in that case imo. She wasn't getting out of that second armbar and it looked bad. Hopefully the damage to the arm wasn't as bad as it looked.

This was the 1st armbar attempt

2.gif

And here's the finish

6.gif

Fucking ouch.

Sarah Kaufman vs Alexis Davis on the undercard was excellent aswell. If they go with Rousey vs Kaufman next which really, there's no other obvious fight to make, I think that will be another really good one to watch.

Rest of the card was kind of hit and miss for me.

Thomson vs Noons

It wasn't as good as I'd hoped but smart gameplan for Thomson to ensure the win. Like we were saying before, I think he was a bit rusty but still a good win. It's not like the decision was in doubt, beating Noons clearly after such a long layoff is still impressive even if the fight wasn't the most exciting.

Melendez vs Thomson 3 should be good. With another training camp and hopefully no more injuries I think we could be in for another war with them 2, they usually bring the best out of each other.

Daley vs Misaki

This was full of surprises. Misaki winning the stand up, Daley wrestling, Daley running away and then to top it off a judge scoring the fight for Daley :confused: I was impressed with Misaki, he fought intelligently which he hasn't always done. Everyone knows he's tough but he always seems to want to prove it again by getting in wars. He fought a much smarter fight here and it worked. The cut in round 3 was nasty, I wouldn't have blamed them if they stopped it with how deep the cut was and how much blood there was. But it would have been a shame for Misaki after such a good showing to lose like that.

Daley's reaction to the decision was a bit stupid I thought. He must've known he'd definitely lost the first 2 rounds and then he spent the last part of round 3 running away. I like Daley but I really think he underestimated Misaki.

It won't happen but I'd love to see them send Thiago Alves over to Strikeforce and do Alves vs Daley. That would be a hell of a fight, I was hoping for that one when Daley was in the UFC and I still wanna see it.

Smith vs Sayers

Smith hasn't looked right in a long time. It's a shame to say it but I really think he's shot as a fighter. I just think it's a case of too many wars and too much punishment catching up to him. He was never a really skilled fighter in any area he just had a ton of guts and a brick for a right hand. Sayers did his job but it was sad to see Smith look like that again. It's up to him what he does but I would like to see him call it a day now. He had some great fights but he looks about as done as you can be to me.

Loved this from Sayers though

slam159.gif

Few other thoughts

What's up with Frank Shamrock's face? His head is shaped like a 50 pence coin and his face looks like a Bo Selecta mask.

Jacare looked good, sharp stand up at times to go with his great BJJ. Pat Healy looked very impressive with his submission over Caros Fodor aswell.

Bowling vs Saling was a cracking little fight. Saling's been surrounded in controversy the last couple of days over his neo Nazi style tattoos. Someone tweeted Dana over it and he replied saying they're looking into it. Anyway, Bowling does it again, never a dull moment with him and it was nice to see him get another win.

Ryan Couture beating Conor Heun was his best win so far in his MMA career. Heun's been in with some good fighters and he's never been finished before so to stop him was a good achievement so early in Couture's career.

Decent card overall but the 2 women's fights and the Bowling fight were great fun.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obvious spoilers

Tate vs Rousey

The main event was fucking awesome. There was so much action it was like 5 rounds of action crammed into 1. Best women's fight I've ever seen and it's one of my favourite fights so far this year. It was the grappling equivolent of Diaz vs Daley from last year for me.

Ronda Rousey proved she's legit and although it might not have been the most classy post fight interview ever I like the heelish personality. And to be honest at least it shows that the pre-fight stuff wasn't all fake bullshit. That armbar was fucking brutal, Miesha showed a lot of guts not to tap but she should have just tapped quick in that case imo. She wasn't getting out of that second armbar and it looked bad. Hopefully the damage to the arm wasn't as bad as it looked.

I agree with all that. The second GIF you posted, that was the first armbar right?

EDIT: You edited your post naming the GIF's just as I was submitting mine.

• Paid Members

Ha yeah I swapped them round.

Nice to see a date finally set for the Barnett vs Cormier GP finals aswell. Hopefully it comes off without a hitch. I paid for the 4 event deal with Primetime so they better be showing it still.

How about the bitchy glare Rousey gave the interviewer that asked her if she had a Plan B? Ouch.

How about Rousey's entire performance in the fight? Double ouch.

I'm sad that Tate lost, only because I wanted to stare at her arse a little longer.

On a serious note, the women made this show great from a fighting standpoint, the men really looked second rate, including former UFC fighters Daley and Smith. Horrendously mediocre, the UFC fighters would destroy these guys. Seeing Scott Smith get essentially Jackhammered was pretty cool though.

Tate/Rousey fight ending second armbar:

broke2.gif

Hope Miesha Tate's arm is okay. I'd like to see a rematch at some point with Tate giving Rousey her longest fight to date.

On first watch Tate/Rousey would be high on my top ten fights of 2012 list. Great fight.

That was my favourite fight of this year. No wasted motion and I felt it lived up to the hype. Rousey is awesome and has put a lot of attention onto women's MMA.

I cannot see anyone beating her, as her ground game is at another level at the moment. Strikeforce did a great job of hyping the fight and making it a big deal. There presentation was very good in my opinion, in this climate where there is a big time fight almost every week, they made it seem special.

I can totally agree with Wandshogun above, Scott Smith is shot as a fighter, he did not seem to care last night very lethagic, it seemed he was just there for the paycheck.

Thomson vs Noons played out as I expected and I was dissapointed with Daley losing, thought he could have knocked out Misiaki going in.

The night belonged to the girl below though.

258z86d.gif

Agreed with wandshogun about both of the womens fights, Kaufman fought an absolute battle which wasn't pretty to watch, pretty much a slugfest from the pair of them. Rousey did a great job with her Judo and getting that second vicious armbar shows she has one vicious submission and if it works then you;re going top keep going back to it. I can think of Cody Mckenzie and his guillotine, of course it's done him any good when it comes to UFC, so maybe Kaufman can beat her.Sayer also had a tremedous fight, with that big pro wrestling type slam and getting that guillotine to win it.

Fucking sick making. There's a thin line between brave and bravado, between guts and stupidity and Tate came down the wrong side of both. Twice. TWICE. Seriously, two certain taps and she allowed her elbow joint to be destroyed. Can't believe it.

EDIT: And Rousey can say what she likes, after the finish she was in clear distress at having had to break Tate's arm to beat her. She seemed to be holding back the tears at one point.

• Paid Members
Do the women cut much weight? Only reason I ask is because Rousey looked way bigger than Tate.

Rousey was deffo the bigger fighter you're right. She dropped down from 145lbs and that was her first fight at 135.

I don't know of exactly who cuts what with the women but with less weight classes I dare say there's some who have to cut a fair bit to even get fights. I know Erin Toughill who used to fight in Strikeforce was cutting quite a lot of weight and a couple of her fights ended up being cancelled because she had trouble making weight.

With the pace Rousey and Tate set, even with it only going a round, it didn't seem like dropping the extra 10lbs hindered Ronda at all.

Watched the fight again last night and I think it's taken #1 for FOTY so far for me. With Ellenberger vs Sanchez just behind it.

EDIT: And Rousey can say what she likes, after the finish she was in clear distress at having had to break Tate's arm to beat her. She seemed to be holding back the tears at one point.

I took that as her being emotional due to just winning the title.

I took that as her being emotional due to just winning the title.

I really didn't see it that way, she clearly looks down at Tate's arm and winces.

A couple of women-related things:

As I recall, women have trouble cutting water weight. I've heard it said several times that they have problems dehydrating themselves and they can't just do it like a man does. There's an unexplored art there.

Secondly, I was reflecting last night on how far women's MMA has come since 2007. Looking at early Gina Carano fights on EliteXC with shorter rounds and a severe lack of skill, it's now at a point where a lot of the top fighters are now good enough to sit on the marquee and are something a lot more than a sideshow.

Archived