Chris Brown *SPOILERS*

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
I guess that's what it comes down to isn't it? If they have got Brown lined up for an appearance it's a good score, but if they're just trying to ride his coat-tails it is a bit lame.

I think this is what it comes down to. If the end result is CM Punk hitting him with the GTS, then it's not too bad - as it's leading to something much bigger. If it's just them going back and forth behind a computer, then that is indeed lame. Somebody making threats and acting hard on the internet, without actually doing anything, is always laughable and small time.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a different time nowadays, it was all over hugely popular websites like TMZ and they love shit like this.

It makes CM Punk look petty but because Chris Brown & Rhianna are releasing a remix of a song from a few years ago or something, CM Punk's name is getting mentioned alongside them.

I think it's more a problem with the base credibility of professional wrestlers. They have a platform and they have large fanbases, but when they try and talk about anything serious it just comes across like the one advert about AIDS they used to have on "Tarrant On TV" before the commercial break, it's just a massive shift in tone that makes everyone uncomfortable and look a little stupider.

Like, Punk should be allowed to shoot his mouth of on this, it's pop culture, it's kinda like saying "John Cena shouldn't have mentioned the death of Osama Bin Laden unless they're building up to a PPV where he takes on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed." The thing is, though (and it was a decent promo, tbh, better than anything he's cut since the 'Hi Colt Cobana' one), that because wrestlers have a credibility gap with the general public they have to overcompensate to make up for it. So Punk can't just say "Beating up women is bad imho", he has to also threaten to beat up the perpetrator. In the same way that when wrestlers talk about their charity work in fighting deadly illnesses they have to promise to "put the smackdown on cancer" or "piledrive emphysma into the ground" or "give glioblastoma multiforme a short-arm clothesline" or whatever.

So yeah: this is good for Punk because it gets him mainstream coverage which is something that pretty much no wrestler can do nowadays without killing their child, but it isn't going to draw a penny for anyone ever. Still, trending on Twitter is like drawing money, right?

• Paid Members
It's a different time nowadays, it was all over hugely popular websites like TMZ and they love shit like this.

It makes CM Punk look petty but because Chris Brown & Rhianna are releasing a remix of a song from a few years ago or something, CM Punk's name is getting mentioned alongside them.

It will do for CM Punk and WWE, what Hogan saying he was going to be the bassist in Metallica will do for TNA. It'll have the average wrestling fan rolling their eyes and the none wrestling fan laughing at him. I cant see any defence of this that has any logic. The argument between them isn't what you want people to actually see. Brown's calling him a roid muncher and saying what everyone else in 2012 says about wrestling today. He misses real stars like Bret Hart, Hacksaw Duggan and Randy Savage. I wouldnt want the none fan reading that.

I wouldnt mind if it was Santino or some other mug. But he's the WWE Champion. If they want a wife beater to put Punk over, just get on the phone to Steve Austin.

What has me curious over the whole thing is that Chris Brown probably gets a fuck ton of Tweets every day, probably doesn't read all of them yet notices one from a Wrestler he's claimed to never have heard of, and decides he's important enough to reply to?

Smells like worked shit tbh.

• Paid Members

Do you even know what a work is? Its nothing like a work. If WWE and Chris Brown were working, they wouldnt allow him to mention steroids, shit ratings and how crap their current crop of characters are, because those are all digs WWE is so thinskinned about (and rightly so, because it highlights the companies recent shortcomings). And WWE wouldnt have Punk hinting that Brown beat the shit out of a woman, because 1) I'm sure Brown and his people wouldnt go for that shit and 2) WWE then looks bad paying someone who beats the shit out of a woman a huge fee to get one of their guys over. This isn't fake wrestling jibes. Its playground bitching in an attempt to get WWE in the news, but not actually draw any money. Same reason why they shove twitter down our throats every week, yet no area of business has improved since they started doing it.

Brown looks just as bad, and he's already backed out of this twitter war. Which is a shame, because I thought he was *this* close to mentioning the time Pat Patterson got in trouble for cupping a 12 year olds balls at a TV taping.

Do you even know what a work is? Its nothing like a work. If WWE and Chris Brown were working, they wouldnt allow him to mention steroids, shit ratings and how crap their current crop of characters are, because those are all digs WWE is so thinskinned about (and rightly so, because it highlights the companies recent shortcomings). And WWE wouldnt have Punk hinting that Brown beat the shit out of a woman, because 1) I'm sure Brown and his people wouldnt go for that shit and 2) WWE then looks bad paying someone who beats the shit out of a woman a huge fee to get one of their guys over.

The announcers discussing the whole thing during a segment on last night's Smackdown (including references to many of those things "they wouldn't allow him to mention") makes it look something like a work...

I hope it's going nowhere though, I really do. They've already given the cunt more attention than he deserves. If there's something to it, it's not as if Punk's going to actually smash his face in. Like, for realz. So I don't really see the point.

• Paid Members
The announcers discussing the whole thing during a segment on last night's Smackdown (including references to many of those things "they wouldn't allow him to mention") makes it look something like a work...

CM Punk has also brought up the "beating up women" thing. I might be wrong, but I dont think Chris Brown needs to work an angle based on that on a wrestling show. Punk was trolling American Footballer Shawn Merriman a few months ago, but he didnt bite and the media didnt care. The WWE is jumping all over it, because its Chris '8 million folowers' Brown. I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but Chris Brown would be a massive idiot to work with anyone where the basis is to exploit his habbits of beating the fuck out of women. I actually cant believe anyone would think this is a work. Just WWE being media whores and Chris Brown having a trigger finger on twitter. Its 2012. Celebrities are planks and WWE are still carnies.

It will do for CM Punk and WWE, what Hogan saying he was going to be the bassist in Metallica will do for TNA. It'll have the average wrestling fan rolling their eyes and the none wrestling fan laughing at him. I cant see any defence of this that has any logic. The argument between them isn't what you want people to actually see. Brown's calling him a roid muncher and saying what everyone else in 2012 says about wrestling today. He misses real stars like Bret Hart, Hacksaw Duggan and Randy Savage. I wouldnt want the none fan reading that.

I wouldnt mind if it was Santino or some other mug. But he's the WWE Champion. If they want a wife beater to put Punk over, just get on the phone to Steve Austin.

I agree but the WWE seem to love this shit and the way they see it they get free publicity for a few stupid tweets. Just look at the way they go on about trending it's insane, a TV show with millions of viewers is going to trend on twitter while the show is on.

The WWE are usually laughed at regardless though in the mainstream, no matter what, even things like the Donald Trump hair match.

• Moderators

Meltz pretty much sums it up in the new observer. The Tyson stuff is pretty much spot on.

They played this up big on Smackdown even though it doesn't appear to be any kind of a wrestling angle, but maybe they were just happy one of their guys is getting mainstream pub and playing it up for all it's worth. Punk can do what he wants and I've got no issue with him, and he got pub challenging the guy to a fight even though it's just your typical grandstand stuff. But the way WWE played it up made them come across so minor league, like one of our guys got the attention of a real celebrity. Plus, WWE is inducting Mike Tyson, a convicted rapist, into the Hall of Fame in six weeks. So Punk is out there making a grandstand challenge for an MMA fight to this guy who beat up his girlfriend and somebody is going to make the connection that his company is doing what it is doing for Tyson and why doesn't Punk challenge him to a fight to stand up against people who mistreat women.

Archived