Why is so hard to create

kieranjennings

Do you know what, kind of linked to this, but this morning I was thinking how shit the name 'Big Show' is. I mean, here is a 7ft+ spectacle, that is a huge attraction and due to his presence a bit of a draw. But you give him a shit name, like The Big Show, and straight away he isn't as big of a name/spectacle/draw as he could be.

I've read in an interview somewhere with him, that he didn't like the name himself at first but it just grew on him.

Bully Ray is an awesome name and represents exactly what his character is.

In terms of why names aren't created? A lack of legit mid-card pushing. Back when The Rock and HHH were fighting over a mid-card title, it actually meant something. People bitch and moan about the world titles meaning nothing, but the mid-card titles mean even less. This means that those who hold them are devalued by the titles because they don't defend them in meaningful feuds.

When one guy steps up to the main event level, he then has a real feud to bring the other guy up with. It's just not the done thing these days.

Couldnt agree more on this point, the titles mean fuck all and therefore results mean fuck all so inevitably wins and losses are irrelevant to make stars and everyone becomes medicore and on par with each other. I am looking forward to Bryan vs. Sheamus and both have great records in recent months but it feels like a lower or mid card match, not a top tier title match.

You don't take your biggest stars out of the equation. You have to use stars to make stars. They failed to do that enough the past 10 years. It's no coincidence that the guys who were made to look like stars while the roster was still relatively rich like Orton and Cena are now the biggest stars they have.

Also a point I agree on. The two biggest names of the exisiting full time talent are Cena and Orton and they have been moved from the main event for the last 6 months and hardly anyone has been elevated well enough. Henry and Bryan have done well in my opinion but neither have become stars, time will tell if they ever do.

Its entirely WWE's fault for the lack of creativity in my opinion, their dilution of the titles are beyond repair now and I genuinely fear for the future of the business. Once Taker and do their thing in 6 weeks time we are left with a company full of mid carders with very few people left to elevate anyone so I think it will be an endless vicious cycle

For me personally, i feel there are just few wrestlers out there these days that have "the look", i"m all for wrestling skills and techniclly those are enough for me to keep watching cause i'll never get sick of the art of pro wrestling moves, BUT, to really draw my attention, you need to have such an iconic look,like you just came walking out of a movie or comic book,or look like a superhero. some people might find that point of view shortsighted but i can tell you, i'm a big cena fan,always have been from the beginning, just because he looks awesome, even with him playing himself, a real human being, i do not agree with people complaining that he looks like the average joe on the street...ok so he wears street clothes yes, but where i live, i don't see a cena walking down the street....ever...the physique,the square jaw, the ungodlyfeats of strenght he pulls of regularly....to me he is the embodiment of an american superhero, he's like wwe's captain america to me.

i basiclly like cena for the same reasons i used to like hogan, he's the real life, larger than life superhero of wrestling, and i will always like those types...

Then there's orton who has really become a great performer all round,with great acting skills in how he carries himself,the whole psycho thing, the little eye flickers that portray him as a lurking lunatic hunting his prey, he "gets" it.

the guys like austin, hhh, rock, undertaker, they just had so much charisma,they were big guys, intresting look, each acted diffrently, that to me are pro wrestlers.

or guys who combine there natural look with a unique gimmick like Sting. there are almost no guys like that now.

Ziggler...he's ok but i don't really care, daniel B.......i respect his skills and have watched him since roh but i have never, nor will ever,get into him like i did with hogan,cena because he just looks so meh.

i like it whenever a really special looking guy comes walking in like batista,or bobby lashly or something, sure DB has more talent in his pinky than they do in their whole bodies, but they look the part and just scream "wrestler".

of all the new faces in this era, sheamus is one of the few i really see something in, he has a great look, big guy, already entertains me now and has all the time to develop into a "hhh" level guy if he sticks around long enough in wwe.

Basiclly, for as much as i respect talen, i still consider pro wrestling to be a very visual bussenis and the look is very important, i want guys that look like they can rip your head of, i don't really care too much for their legit toughness or how much international experiance they have, if they look like silly willy they don't grab my attention period, charisma>talent.

if talent>charisma we'd have daniel brian vs samoa joe headlining wrestlemanai, and we do not.

I haven't read the whole thread but I agree with writing Cena off TV for a while.

Look at Barrett. When the nexus was at its peak the Raw main event scene was only Cena & Orton with Sheamus on the verge. With guys like Triple H sat out it gave him a chance to step up & if it wasn't for a couple of bad booking decisions, especially when he went to Smackdown I believe we could've had a new big star in Barrett.

Mark Henry is another example. Kane and Big Show sit out (also helped by the fact he put them out), Edge is gone, Christian and Undertaker were recovering and Mark Henry becomes the closest thing to a new star for a while.

Jeff Hardy, Edge, Eddie Guerrero all got runs at the main event all because of the gaps that needed filling at the time and right now with Triple H & Taker working one match a year, Rey, Orton & Christian injury prone, Mark Henry out and Miz sliding back down the card it gives a chance for any one of the following group (Cody, Ziggler, Truth, Kofi (everyone wanted to see them pull the trigger on Kofi after the Orton feud) or even McIntyre depending on where his storyline goes) to step up if Cena and/or Big Show were to take a month off.

They probably have the strongest undercard they've had in years so the best chance to make someone is now. If they pick someone who could cross over into mainstream like they did with Cena (Ziggler or Cody would be the best shot there for thier mic work) and force themselves to focus on building them without giving 100% focus to Cena or Orton then they can build someone up and create intrest in a PPV match when the old guard do return to see if they can take thier spot and hang onto it.

Bryan's had the best character development over the past few months of anyone on the roster regardless of how he 'looks'.

He is charismatic.

I think most people that are into him, were already into him from his independent work and know how to look past the bland look, but the casual fan still doesn't really care and he won't ever have the screen presence of an austin unless he dramaticly evolves over the years. he's good as an upper mid carder at best.

DB fits that "benoit" mold for me, a solid worker who never fails to put on a good match,but.....not exactly as charismatic as an eddie guerrero either by a long shot.

as much as we don't want to admit it, wrestling, and especially wwe, will foever be a big man world and lots of casual viewers like it best that way. for example, my dad has always been into wrestling but never really followed it, so he has never heard of independents like roh and whatnot,and he just goes by what he sees, he doesn't even know how matches are set up or how things really work, what it takes to build a match etc, he just likes to watch it because of the big muscle men doing spectacular things.

Now, if i'm watching wwe and batista comes on, and my dad walks by, he'll stop and watch, when brock lesnar was around and he happened to walk by me while i was watching he's definatly watch and every single time point out to me how amazing it was what he saw, going back even further to wcw days, when i was watching and goldberg was on, if my dad was around, he'd stop for a minute to see the match, so ok you get the point.

he's also always thought of guys like undertaker and triple h as being perfect wrestlers, big, mean, intimidating.

and i guarantee, everytime dad passes and some other guys were/are on, like DB,cm punk,or in the past jamie noble, hurricane,tajiri.....guys of that mold, he'd chuckle and roll his eyes as if to say" what are those kids doing in a wrestling ring" looks are still very important to a lot of casual fans, my dad can't be the only one like that now can he....these are the people that couldn't give 2 cents about indy experiance, how good so and so may be,they go by what they see and judge by what they see in front of them.

Even know after all these years, occasionally when i'm watching wrestling he randomly shoots me the question " whats goldberg doing these days son, is he still there ?" ....because even the limited talent that was goldberg, had made enough of an impression on a casual tv watching dad,that hasn't properly watched wrestling in ages, still care to remember him in 2012....whereas he can't even be bothered to remember the names of the current talent like a ziggler or bourne even tho he's seen them penty of times on tv when i'm watching.

I don't give two fucks about ROH and think people who do should be shot, but I'm enjoying Daniel Bryan loads at the minute. I think wrestling definitely has a place for little weedy weasels... But your general point is sound enough. People do want their wrestlers to look like rock-hard superhero giants.

• Paid Members

The booking of Bryan is close to perfect, right now. He's a vicious wrestler when he's up against folk his size (showing he has ability and credibility) and against the larger fellas he gets thrown around and uses his cunning to get the victory. Bryan also has the ability to pull this off; as The Miz has proven, it's not easy.

Archived