WWE Wrestlemania XXVIII Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

Per F4W/Observer:

WWE announced today that WrestleMania 28 did 1.3 million worldwide PPV buys, breaking the record of 1.25 million set for the 2007 show featuring Donald Trump. The total gross for everything related to Mania week was $67 milloin, also breaking all-time records.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just rewatched the Rock V Cena again. Epic! Thats the third time I've watched it and it gets better and better. Not without faults, Thought the submissions were slightly long and Rock for the first time ever showed signs of his age in the ring but man the crowd were so hot for it, it really felt like the biggest match ever. Covered up any slight issues. If the match were 5 minutes shorter it would have been dang near spot on. But thats severe nitpicking.

With this and End of an era on the same card, I reckon it was one of the best Wrestlemania's ever, having not 1 but 2 matches that will be remembered as all time greats is special. No wonder it broke the record. It was amazing.

Whilst there is no arguing that 1.3 Million buys is a colossal number, with how stacked the card was added to the fact that Cena Vs. Rock had a yearlong build I can't help but think it could of, and indeed should been higher.

• Paid Members

It may not be the highest buyrate in North America, so you could make an argument it had room to be better. That said, the overall figure is right at the upper end of what WWE was ever expecting, so they won't be ruing lost buys at all.

I wonder if Rock was able to negotiate a UFC-style cut of the royalties. If you look at the past few years and what the show likely would have done with him, he's probably brought $8 million+ extra money into the company.

• Paid Members
It may not be the highest buyrate in North America, so you could make an argument it had room to be better. That said, the overall figure is right at the upper end of what WWE was ever expecting, so they won't be ruing lost buys at all.

I wonder if Rock was able to negotiate a UFC-style cut of the royalties. If you look at the past few years and what the show likely would have done with him, he's probably brought $8 million+ extra money into the company.

Vince said in a meeting with share holders last year that The Rock gets paid "if he affects numbers", so I imagine he'll get a healthy slice of the buyrates he's involved with (plus his merch).

Archived