Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members

I did ask this in the questions thread, but does anybody here run a podcast at all? and/or would they know what is needed to start a podcast?

I do. A Disney podcast for grown ups called Dis After Dark. You don't need much. I use my MacBook to record the show and there are a few podcast hosters you can use like Libsyn

• Awards Moderator

Player One Podcast is a superb podcast, but they place greater focus on the new. Not as reviews, just what they've been playing. They're all late thirties /early forties and were game journos. It started in 2006 so it's been around a while. It really does have the feel of mates chatting though.

• 1 month later...

If any of you were a fan of the internet show Yacht Rock, they have a podcast, Beyond Yacht rock, that explores arbitrary musical genres such as "Try and Rap", "Divorcecore" and "They Probably Fucked Each Other".

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/beyond-yacht-rock/

Very funny stuff, if you like that sort of thing and are the wrong side of 40. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

If any of you were a fan of the internet show Yacht Rock, they have a podcast, Beyond Yacht rock, that explores arbitrary musical genres such as "Try and Rap", "Divorcecore" and "They Probably Fucked Each Other".

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/beyond-yacht-rock/

Very funny stuff, if you like that sort of thing and are the wrong side of 40. 

I'm definitely going to check this out — I was a massive fan of Yacht Rock, and still run across a lot of Hollywood Steve Huey's work on Spotify bios.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in here but i've been listening to the Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson podcast Athletico Mince which is a football based podcast but with a really Mortimer style humour. It can go off on tangents about all sorts. Some of the recent conversations include which footballers would look best in denim and also some of the times Bob has met footballers. I don't think I am justifying it but it is funny stuff.

• Awards Moderator

I started listening to Athletico Mince. I wouldn't piss on football if it was on fire, but another non-football fan put me on to it. I don't know who Andy Dawson is but he gels perfectly with Bob, who can still turn out the most brilliant flights of fancy and stunning one liners. There was an exchange about footballers "waxing their legs. And they're arseholes" which crucified me.

• Paid Members

Just on the back of Onyx's post - and because I'm off to Lanzarote on Thursday - I decided to Veet my Baxters, last night over in Liverpool.

Onyx gave me an idea, and I took it a step further and abolished any hair from my undercarriage and dirthole.

The fucking 50/50 burn/itch sensation made for a horrific flight home.

I had to buy baby wipes in Boots and stick them up - literally a fucking fingertip lenght up - my pipe, as the cool wetness relieved the burning a bit.

That led to my jockeys being fucking damp, which led to more discomfort, which will probably lead to mild nappy rash.

So every time I massage and sooth and scratch my poxhole now, I think of Onyx.

• Paid Members

There's a great one called Beautiful Tales From Anonymous People where a comedian opens up his phone line and records the incoming calls, which have three rules:

1) The caller has to stay anonymous.

2) The comedian can't hang up.

3) The call cuts out at 60 minutes unless the caller hangs up beforehand.

(And presumably 4, they don't broadcast the shit ones.)

The combination of the comedian being great at interviewing/psychoanalysis and the anonymity making people open up means the calls turn out fascinating and getting deep into seemingly ordinary people's lives.

Found one called "I Love Green Guide Letters", which is dudes reading complaint letter to a local magazine named "the green guide". this weeks one is a bit slow, as they go off on a tangent for quite a while, but overall its very funny.

Monkey Tennis: The Alan Partridge Podcast has just launched-

Lynn, idea for a podcast: four idiots discuss their love of all things Partridge in this unofficial podcast- including their favourite Alan moments, his cultural legacy and lots more one episode at a time. A-ha!

Also been listening to BBFC, in which they discuss why films got the classifications that they did

Edited by WyattSheepMask