Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members

CUPodcast is the only gaming one I've tried but I enjoy it, it's a little more retro based but they like to talk about current gaming controversies and do the odd new review. http://cupodcast.podbean.com/

Iit is a good one. I hope Ian can get his health issues resolved soon. Pat's doing an admirable job on his own, but Ian was good at keeping him in line, and brings a lot of knowledge to the show.

Podquisition by Jim Fucking Sterling Son or Total Biscuit's Co-Optional Podcast can be interesting. Nerdcubed used to have his Podcats as well, but I'm not sure that's still a thing.

• Awards Moderator

I discovered 'Plumbing The Death Star' recently. Bunch of Australians discuss important issues like plumbing on the Death Star, what they would actually do if they visited Westworld, whether the Prime Directive is effective, whether Harry Potter is any good as a wizard, if the Avengers would be better off without the Hulk, how John Hammond got that park almost ready for tourists, all that sort of thing. It's right up my alley.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The latest (200th) episode of Stu Goldsmith's  'Comedians Comedian' podcast has Stewart Lee as the guest. If you're a fan, or just interested in his thought process/approach to his work it's essential listening. Really interesting stuff.

• Awards Moderator

The latest (200th) episode of Stu Goldsmith's  'Comedians Comedian' podcast has Stewart Lee as the guest. If you're a fan, or just interested in his thought process/approach to his work it's essential listening. Really interesting stuff.

Pretty much all the Comedians Comedian is worth listening to, no surprise you're a fan Dead Mike.

Totally unrelated edit: premium podcasts (i.e. paid for). Such as PodcastOne. How do they stop you just getting the feed off someone else? Where does the paywall come into it?

Edited by Onyx2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Can anyone recommend any decent film podcasts? In particular one where they review films currently in the cinema?

The Empire Podcast is my go-to. They end each episode with reviews of all the films out that week. Probably not for you if you don't like the magazine but I always look forward to the episodes. They do 'spoiler specials' for big blockbusters as well where they go into more details on plot points etc.

• Awards Moderator

Kermode and Mayo is the obvious and popular choice, but their series of in-jokes isn't for everyone. I do rate Kermode as a reviewer, not in that his word is gospel, but I know from how he rates a film whether I'm going to like it which is incredibly useful.

There's also Film Fandango, which is the desperate cries of two men trying to make a success of life and they just happen to review films. An acquired taste but enjoyable. They don't review every new release.

• Paid Members

Only just catching up with this thread...

Thinking Sideways

My Favourite Murder

All Killa No Filla

I love Thinking Sideways. I've been going back and listening to a lot of the older ones. I think my favourite one so far was about the USAF pilot who crashed his plane miles from anywhere but the bombs he was carrying were never found (and weren't 'activated' either). The latest one I'm on is about the girl going missing on a Disney cruise ship.

I've tried listening to the other two but they aren't quite as good. I'll listen to them more when I've exhausted Thinking Sideways.

Cheers for that, great episode and podcast in general. Never heard of it before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The makers of Serial and This American Life have got a new series out. It's called S-Town and it's hard to tell you much about it without giving anything away but I thoroughly recommend it. It's about a small town in rural Alabama and the people, and one guy in particular, who live there. It's covers loads of themes, depression, poverty, crime, sexuality, everything up to clock making, it's endless really. It's a proper emotional rollercoaster too, some bits are genuinely hilarious, others are thought provoking and a few bits that are unbelievably sad.

It's seven part series and while it's not as gripping as series one of Serial, it was a really addictive listen.