Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Awards Moderator

There's a great one called Beautiful Tales From Anonymous People where a comedian opens up his phone line and records the incoming calls.

I heard that truncated one on This American Life last week with the depressed guy who hates his life. Sounds like a hell of a show!

Any episodes worth starting with?

• Paid Members

Episode 3 (The Illustrator) is the one that got me subscribing. It starts off with the guy calling in to talk about parking in New York City and winds up as a full counselling/life coaching sessions.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I don't know why it's taken me so long to give it a go, but Athletico Mince is utterly fantastic. Like all the best football talk things, they're is little to kno actual football talk because talking about it seriously is shite. Bob Mortimer is one of the top humans alive.

• Paid Members

Love Bob on Athletico Mince, but not mad keen on Andy.

It's been pretty much defunct for a long time, but John Oliver officially left the Bugle yesterday - gutted, really. Was a relatively late adopter, but there was a stretch of time where I listened to them non-stop from first to the current one, to catch up.

• Paid Members

It's been pretty much defunct for a long time, but John Oliver officially left the Bugle yesterday - gutted, really. Was a relatively late adopter, but there was a stretch of time where I listened to them non-stop from first to the current one, to catch up.

Gutted about this, I've been listening to the Bugle for years. I like Andy but it really won't be the same without John. Been a long time coming to be fair. Looking forward to the relaunch in September and it going back to being weekly.

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members

Andy grew on me over time — I do love a good pun. However, I went to see him live in Brighton a few years ago, and he died onstage worse than any professional comedian I've ever seen, including when Dave Attell started going off on the audience one night. Put me off him for a long time.

• Paid Members

You're not the first to have seen Andy die on his arse, happens all the time apparently. Yet he keeps getting booked and is loved by other comics who refer to him as 'the comedians comedian', whatever the fuck that means.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to Doug Stanhopes podcast in work for about half a year now and it's an incredible narrative at times. If you have not listened to it the basic set up is him and all his burnout mates at his 'funhouse' bar/compound in Bisbee, Arizona on the Mexican border. Comedian friends will pass through every now and then but he never really has any known, mainstream guests. Journalists, fans and would be comedians passing through are also heavily encouraged to stay the night and get wasted with them to do some podcasting. He regularly gives out his address and encourages letters and gifts to be sent to him, most of which get a mention on air.

Plenty of podcasts are worthless for their comedy value. Some portray Stanhope in a pretty harsh light if you're not down with the darker than dark comedy thing. A lot shock just for the sheer warped mentality him and his group of friends seem to share. You get the sense half the regular cast will either drink themselves to death or off themselves in some other fashion at some point.

When it's on point it's engrossing though. I don't think there is another podcast like it. A couple of months back in started charting his girlfriend Bingo's relapse into serious schizophrenic thought. It covered an episode which saw Stanhope smuggle litres of vodka onto a cruise ship buried in a suitcase beneath dozens of dildos (because nobody will check) and bring a 21 year old girl back to his and Bingo's room for a threesome only to have Bingo tell him she's been cheating anyway and wants a breakup.

This is podcasted right after the fact. With Bingo on the podcast. They make fun of her new boyfriend whose only toilet is in a dirty outhouse, christen him 'Washtub Willy' and eventually bring him on the show too to grill him when Bingo goes missing. The Bingo missing stuff goes on for a few episodes, then she gets sectioned and the podcast rallies Doug's fans into mailing her hundreds of packets of cigarettes in the psyche ward.

It goes on and on. They've recently got Bisbee to be USA Today's #1 small town in America. Doug's not even the best thing about it. That honor goes to Chad Shank, his nihlistic trainwreck friend who seems really likeable and violent all at the same time.