Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

At the moment I've been rather enjoying Welcome To Night Vale : http://www.commonplacebooks.com/p/blog-page.html

I've tried multiple times to explain succinctly, but it's not too easy so i'll steal their description

WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff's Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events.

Very funny - elements of Lovecraftian horror /Blue Jam/Twin Peaks (without the nice bits). Start with episode one, part of the fun is all the recurring jokes, characters and ongoing storylines.

• Paid Members
I'd certainly be interested in listening to that if you get round to it, good luck with it.

Bollocks, that's two people that are waiting on this now.

If the worst comes to the worst and it's rubbish I can at least take solace in the fact that it will be less time a week for me losing money on William Hill.

• Paid Members

Cheers Cohaagen!

Runaway Train is a fantastic film. It's a genuine oddity as well, as you allude to, as regards the people involved in it. I'd certainly be interested in any podcast out there that talk about it!

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Apologies for exhuming an old thread, but is anyone else listening to Serial (http://serialpodcast.org/)? For those unaware it's a weekly episodic podcast exploring the investigation into a murder of a high school girl in Baltimore in 1999. It basically breaks down the witness testimonies, detective investigations, interviews etc, and is trying to establish whether the guy who got convicted did it or not. I'm probably not doing it justice, but it's an absolutely fascinating listen.

So, aside from the planned UKFF thing that we're probably all bored of already, I'm starting a podcast soon.

It's going to be called Good Films and it's going to be about good films. Not great films, not cult films, not underrated films, not under-appreciated films - just good films. They may fit into one or some those categories but the main thing is that they're good and that you might quite like them.

I'm planning on having it up and running by the start of August. It probably won't have guests on it because nobody knows who I am so it will just be me talking about films in my Jon Ronson voice while kids jump on my head.

It's more or less based on this list I did on Letterboxd once:-

http://letterboxd.com/settingsun/list/99-good-films/

Remember to quote this post at the start of August and ask me why I haven't done this yet.

Why haven't you done this yet?

Apologies for exhuming an old thread, but is anyone else listening to Serial (http://serialpodcast.org/)? For those unaware it's a weekly episodic podcast exploring the investigation into a murder of a high school girl in Baltimore in 1999. It basically breaks down the witness testimonies, detective investigations, interviews etc, and is trying to establish whether the guy who got convicted did it or not. I'm probably not doing it justice, but it's an absolutely fascinating listen.

Yes! Absolutely addicted to this.  It's very well put together and I like the fact that she's very open minded and she herself is having the same doubts and back and forth indecisiveness that I'm constantly having.  I think he could have done it but that he should never have been convicted of it.  I don't think its a spoiler to say there's plenty of reasonable doubt.

Can't wait for the next episode.  I have a longish bus journey up to Belfast on Friday so I know how I'll be spending the first 40 minutes or so.  That and football weekly extra.  

This thread has given me some ideas as I'm always on the look out for podcasts.  Recently worked through all the 'There's no such thing as a fish' which is the podcast from the QI researchers (or elves, if you rather) giving out all the interesting things they've discovered that week.  They themselves are also pretty funny and have good chemistry with each other so it makes for a fun and informative program that feels a lot more natural and moves at a zippier pace than QI itself.

• Awards Moderator

There's chatter about this on the last two pages of the Fortean / Paranormal thread, including a few interesting complementary videos and articles I've dug up like Mr. S's trenchcoat.

Does anyone else listen to the Movie Crypt podcast?

It's Adam green (director of Hatchet, Frozen) and Joe Lynch (director of Knights of Badassdom, Wrong Turn 2) with a different guest each week.  They just talk about mainly horror films.  But they talk alot about the making of movies and behind the scenes stuff.  If you're a budding film maker or just interested in that kind of stuff it's really great.  They also do a bit each show where they pick a tweet and have five minutes to come up with a movie based on it. 

Hey guys,

I've just launched a new podcast interviewing my pals on the British and International wrestling scenes, if anyone's interested?:

Episode 1: Rampage Brown

Episode 2: Dean Allmark

Episode 3: Frankie Sloan

Episode 4: Brody Steele

iTunes: www.mepodcast.co.uk/iTunes
Podcast app: www.mepodcast.co.uk/podcast
Computer / other: www.mepodcast.co.uk
Facebook: www.facebook.com/MEPodcast
Twitter: www.twitter.com/MEPodcast

Cheers :)

Johnny Midnight

• Paid Members

Serial’s Adnan Syed granted an appeal hearing for January

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/serial-adnan-appeal-1810043-Dec2014/